Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Approximately 1/8th of U.S. iPhones in Use Now on Verizon

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

At the time of the Verizon iPhone launch just over a month ago, we pointed to a live tracker set up by mobile ad firm Chitika measuring the balance of AT&T and Verizon devices registering on its network. At the time, just one day after the device launched to the general public, the Verizon iPhone accounted for 3% of the U.S. iPhone base as measured over a rolling 24-hour window.

Chitika has continued to monitor the iPhone balance in the U.S., and today reported that the Verizon iPhone now accounts for 12.7%, or over 1/8th of the U.S. iPhone base, although the Verizon iPhone's share has since sunk to 11.9% due to measurement fluctuations over time.
Since the launch of the Verizon iPhone, we've been tracking iPhones through our system and breaking down what percentage come from AT&T vs. Verizon. As of today, Verizon is up to 12.7% of all iPhone web usage, based on data from the Chitika ad network.
Apple has of course been expanding its partnership with Verizon in recent months, beginning with packages including the original iPad and a MiFi hotspot device before moving on to the iPhone 4 last month. And just last Friday, Apple debuted the second-generation iPad, which comes in a series of models directly compatible with Verizon's network.

Article Link: Approximately 1/8th of U.S. iPhones in Use Now on Verizon

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Sweet. That is fantastic growth even after a questionable launch. I would love to see the iPad results too.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Sweet. That is fantastic growth even after a questionable launch. I would love to see the iPad results too.

Everyone got their iPhones in the mail. The launch sold big, the media just didn't portray it as such due to the lack of lines.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
I bet these numbers are inflated. Verizon iphone owners are likely still in their honeymoon period and just plain generating more traffic than their AT&T counterparts. I'm assuming this ad service is counting ad hits, not unique IP ad hits.

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
Numbers will be interesting not only after the iPhone 5 launch, but also in 6 months' time, when more iPhone 3GS contract holders become free. Assuming not all 3GS buyers were first-day buyers, the 6-month mark should be inclusive of most.

plaxico44

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
PA
Expect even more when the iPhone 5 comes out. I have a feeling many people decided to wait until June to buy including myself.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Given how the iPhone is sold unlocked overseas it would be interesting to see what the rate of retention is when it comes to customers deciding not to go with the launch carrier. For example Vodafone is the launch partner for Australia and New Zealand but how many have switched to Telstra and Telecom NZ - has the iPhone been the device that keeps customers on their network for the long term?

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
What if they (Verizion) had just given in to apple five years ago? Such a lost chance.

For whatever reason, I've heard that Apple was not interested in CDMA technology at the time - or maybe they just wanted to focus on one technology for their first generation product.

I also imagine there were some business reasons for it. AT&T could provide subsidies, carrier-specific technologies (e.g. Visual Voicemail), etc. in exchange for being THE provider of iPhones. Maybe if Apple offered iPhones to everyone, their value/leverage would go down.

My educated guesses.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Considering all the complaints people have had about AT&T, that number is rather pitiful.
This is completely wrong. In one month, when virtually (if not actually) no one with an AT&T iPhone contract was off-contract or in a position to break contract, Verizon consumes more than 10% of all iPhone usage in the U.S. That number is astounding.

Verizon will likely be at or near 50% in a year. And that would mark four years of AT&T's only business advantage utterly wiped out.

I hate AT&T and will jump the minute my contract ends in June. And I'm not alone. But I'm still going to ride out the next few months.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Considering all the complaints people have had about AT&T, that number is rather pitiful.

Its a combo of the fact that most don't want to pay the ETF and many also realize that Verizon is really no better than AT&T (in most areas).

AT&T has just gotten the brunt of the criticism over the past 4 years because they were the only game in town for iPhone users. Had roles been reversed the same would have been true for Verizon. I don't think there was a carrier out there properly equipped enough to handle the network congestion that the iPhone created.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I bet a lot of people bought the vzw iPad this weekend because they were the only ones left.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
What about T-Mobile

I'm still hoping/waiting for it to come to T-Mobile.

Think it will happen?

dumb terminal

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've had my viPhone for about a month now, and it's been absolutely marvelous.

Being able to make a call is the most important thing to me, and on my 3G it was pretty much a crapshoot as to if the call would even connect on AT&T in Manhattan. Signal was virtually non-existent at 60 floors up, although sometimes if you were lucky, you could make a call from street level.

However, with Verizon, I'm now able to make calls from my cubicle, as well as stream Pandora/Netflix/whatever while working. It's made for very comfortable working days :)

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
I'm still hoping/waiting for it to come to T-Mobile.

Think it will happen?

Nothing is impossible. The chip in the verizon iphone 4 actually supports T-mobile 3G bands. I doubt apple feels a need to be with anyone but the 2 main carriers in the US though. They have a combined subscriber base of over 180 million. That's over half of the US.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
For whatever reason, I've heard that Apple was not interested in CDMA technology at the time - or maybe they just wanted to focus on one technology for their first generation product.

I also imagine there were some business reasons for it. AT&T could provide subsidies, carrier-specific technologies (e.g. Visual Voicemail), etc. in exchange for being THE provider of iPhones. Maybe if Apple offered iPhones to everyone, their value/leverage would go down.

My educated guesses.

I would think it's a more global thing.... GSM is more used throughout the world... not CMDA... so, makes sense to go GSM to get at the larger market.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Can't wait to pick up my Thunderbolt on Thursday. :D'

Iphone 5 is what, July?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.