Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Tried to open my Directv app today and received the following:

"This app is not supported on jailbroken devices. Please connect to Apple iTunes to update or restore your device."

wtf?

Anyone know of any other apps like this?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
You need xCon. Just like Apple and jailbreak hackers, apps that offer entertainment content like directv, it's a cat and mouse game. Not sure of your situation but directv was recently updated (on January 13) and with each update they usually implement jailbreak detection codes. I'm not sure if you had the most recent version or not prior to the 6.1 jailbreak but either way xCon should do the trick. I'm not sure if its updated yet for the latest directv version or not but try it out. If its not working yet just wait, the developer is really good at updating that tweak.

On a side note, I think there's a companion package for con which prevents the App Store from updating a particular app so you don't run into this problem where the app won't work on a jailbroken device.

Edit: whoops looks like PaintheSkyGrey beat me to it. Grab the tweak from his beta repo. I don't use xCon or any apps that would require it so I was running off of memory. Good luck!

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
The beta Xcon listed above does work on DirecTV. The one currently released does not. Update with the beta and you're good to go.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Time Warner Cable did the same for their Live TV app but there's a tweak called "FakeTimeWarner (FTW)" that fixes the problem. Try searching for "DirectTV" in Cydia and see if that returns anything since xCon didn't work.

simeezee

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
How about the Time Warner Cable SportsNet app?

It says "Sportsnet is not supported on "jailbroken" devices. Please restore your iOS device to factory defaults, then reinstall Sportsnet"

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
It's also happening with Redbox Instant. Just noticed the same with my DirecTV app. Really sucks. I'll try out xCon and I will not be renewing my Redbox Instant subscription once the free trial is over lol.

simeezee

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
How about the Time Warner Cable SportsNet app?

It says "Sportsnet is not supported on "jailbroken" devices. Please restore your iOS device to factory defaults, then reinstall Sportsnet"

Actually xCon fixed the Time Warner Cable SportsNet app. Thanks guys.

porscherain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Xcon does work for TWC Sportnest. They updated the app to version 1.2.2 today, can anyone confirm that Xcon still works?

mofoliar

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Nevada
just d/l newest directv to stream some tv, and it did not work out! I d/l

Xcon and dtvrunner from Cydia and we are GOLDEN!

Jwalking

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
Followed directions, found xCon Beta 5, downloaded. Now can't open any apps. Tap on an app, it looks like it's going to open, then it doesn't. Had to remove!!!

cubicle101

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
You need to install the xCon beta from this repo:

http://n00neimp0rtant.dyndns.org/repo/

I had the same issue, and the current release of xCon doesn't fix it. I read somewhere that the beta worked, so I found the beta repo and sure enough, it does!

Hope this helps!

I've tried to add this repo and get the message that the hostname cannot be found. Is this repo still active? If not has the XCon beta been made available elsewhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.