April 2010 MBP SSD Fresh Lion Install w/ bootcamp drive in optibay Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mikeosoft, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Mikeosoft macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've been a member here since I bought my 2010 MacBookPro 6,2
    *Upgraded to 8GB DDR3 recently
    *Vertex 2 SSD 60 gig running Snow Leopard since may 2010
    *optibay enclosure removed old superdrive, put 500gig HDD running Windows 7

I've been watching, waiting, and reading extensively about Lion and finally want to bite. At the same time, I realize it would be better for me to do a clean install of Lion, which won't be problem for me to aquire a DMG bootable image of lion, or to make one. (don't worry I will pay for the upgrade version and build a dmg out of it, i do not pirate software)

So i've read about how to do a fresh clean erase of a used SSD with a smart controller. I found this from OCZ:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ootable-CD-USB-Linux..-Point-and-Click-Method

I will boot this disc up with an external dvd rom usb drive, and secure erase the SSD. This will rewrite the drive cleanly and restore proper performance of the drive.

At the same time, I will update the necessary firmware of the Vertex Sandforce controller through booting up via holding Option key and selecting Windows 7 drive from the optibay. I hope this will work.

Once the SSD drive is cleared and ready, i will take my DMG lion install that's been restored to a 4gb USB stick insert and restart, hold down Option key and boot from lion installer.

Follow the prompts, etc, choose the install options etc... I can handle that stuff no prob.

Now assuming this is all correct (please let me know if the above method seems like the best way to accomplish a clean fresh Lion MBP) here's some weird questions:

But now, once my system is done installing, what happens to BOOTCAMP? Does it matter? Will it be aware I have already had a partition on a windows 7 disk in the optibay drive? I mean I forget how Snow leopard interacts with my windows boot disk if at all. Sorry if this seems dumb, just kind of weird to me. I know if i need to access windows 7 i restart and hold down option key and select Win 7. will this be the same under Lion?

Also I like to use HMDI connection to my tv, and my mbp was the first model to feature HMDI digital Audio carried over the displayport with the right hdmi adaptor, only after doing some searching on here i see that the lion OS dropped support for it. This doesn't seem like much, but it's really upsetting. Does anyone know if there is a way around this? I see some people claim it works, but most claim under lion it stopped working.

I guess i just want some reassurance from someone else that my prethought process is sound, before diving in and erasing my loved Snow Leopard environment. Thanks for helping

2. Mikeosoft thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm ok then, i slept on this overnight, and i think i'm going to go for it. Seems no one else has any objections. I will post up results if all goes wrong or well