April releases (wanted/wheelman/ninja blade) and updated bargain basement purchase

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Apr 5, 2009.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So by chance as well as getting my DSi this week, I also bought three new releases.

Wanted (PS3)

Wheelman (360)

Ninja Blade (360)

What really dissapointing is that ALL of them are pretty bad, and one in particular is atrocious.

Firstly....

Wanted. The best of a bad lot really. It looks ok graphically, however gameplay wise its basically just a rehash of almost every other action game released in the last 12 months.

Think Bourne Conspiracy, Gears of War & Dark Sector rolled into one and your pretty close.

The game is quite enjoyable, the biggest problem I have with it is this... It took me less than 4 hours to play through and I have no desire to play through it again.

How any company can consider 4 hours of gameplay to be acceptable when asking good money from the general public is beyond comprehension.

So not an awful game, just awfully over priced for the amount of content you get.

Next up Wheelman. Again think Crazy Taxi, Chase HQ and GTA all in a sex orgy and Wheelman is the bas**rd child.

The game is just utterly MEH! Graphically its fairly sub par with poor textures and bland re-creation of Barcelona.

I've played a few hours in and I'm bored senseless already..... However at least its playable unlike......

Ninja Blade... WHAT A BIG TURD this game truly is. I have never played any game so bug ridden in my life. I had to play through the first mission 3 times because of a horrible bug which prevented your progress.

Awful textures, low polygon enemy's(other than the big uninspired bosses) , appalling platform sections which see many sections of you running towards the screen unable to see what is in front of you - a crime in any platform game, repeated quick time events which are merely there to cause as much nausea from repeated failure until you learn the button combinations by repeating them over and over.

Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry have nothing to worry about truly. What really is dissapointing is that this game is by FROM SOFTWARE, the makers of Panzer Dragoon Orta and the OTOGI games.

This game truly is awful, be wise and AVOID like the plague. Should have known when a game hits the shelves before it's even reviewed.

So basically a bad week for gaming...... Save yourself money and forget buying all three, maybe rent one and two, and burn every copy of Ninja Blade you see as protection to the community.....

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Didn't SmileBit make Orta?
    Heh, and my local paper gave Wheelman a 4/5, saying it was up there with GTA :rolleyes:

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Your right about Orta.... They (From Software) made ChromeHounds, a game that was F'UGLY but was excellent online, and the downright bland 'Enchanted Arms' with its endless random battles.....

Doesn't change the fact Ninja Blade sucks ass though :D

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Bad form MRU, couldn't you see those titles were trash from the start...Wheelman is a complete rip off from the PSP game Pursuit Force with a little GTA on the side. I had a little more hope in Ninja Blade but after watching the gameplay videos I decided hope was lost.

I was thinking about picking up some old titles like Mass Effect and re-buy Bioshock for the PS3..I just might end up doing that.

Bless

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Wanted looks fun, but yeah I have read/heard on podcasts that its criminally short. I'll probably grab it when it hits $30 (sooo in about 2 weeks).

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Had you looked at any reviews before, you would have known they all are crap :p

7. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I... can't believe you bought all three of those games. :confused:

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL!!! I know..... I went store credit mad! Thankfully no cash exchanged hands :D

9. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Well.... 2 of them are movie based, and while movie games can be decent you shouldn't expect a big hit.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wanted yes! (and ironically the better of all three) but Wheelman ? Is that a movie ?

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Well, a movie will soon be released based on the Wheelman game franchise. So. technically, that will be a movie based on a game and not vice versa...unless the game is based on the movie which was based on the original game? :confused:

Also, is the Wanted game based on the movie or is it based on the original comics that the movie was based on?

And "poor" is a bit dramatic of a word to use when describing these games. Would any developer really release a "poor" game to the public? How would they ever expect to see any sales and profit if that was the case? Surely they do testing prior to release. If a game is not very good, you would think that they would fix any issues or shortcomings so that the final product would be a worthwhile purchase for the consumer.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

People still buy poor games. People still buy buggy, incomplete games. This has always been the way but now it seems the norm is to just patch the hell out of them later and charge extra for DLC to fill out empty games.
    Games are rushed to release for many reasons. Non-negotiable deadlines, financial limitations, employees leaving. Sometimes games are released in what internally they might class as okay quality, rather than waiting until its perfect.

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh man, please play Ninja Blade...... Poor doesn't describe how bad this game truly is. I mean the game is broken due to some horrific bugs. So yes, publishers and developers really do release some criminal stuff.

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Is anyone else like me, and have to finish a game once you start, no matter how poor it is?

I recently bought NFS-Undercover as I'd never played any of them before. Really not my cup of tea; but I had to play to the end regardless. Similarly, I have to finish Killzone 2 (a great game, mind) in Elite difficulty; even though the very end is so difficult it's no longer enjoyable, I Must Finish It!

I think most gamers must be obsessive compulsive..

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't even finish the games I like anymore. I've started so many brilliant ones and just dont want to complete them because then I would have seen everything they have to offer. Like in FFVII I'm on the last disc, amazing RPG but I dont want to finish it!

16. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Is it worse than Ninja Reflex on the Wii? Which looked and sounded cool on the box...but really wasn't.

17. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

At least you could complete a level (albeit terrible) on Ninja Reflex, you didn't have to play through the same terrible level 4 or 5 times because a bug prevents a quicktime event loading and therefore you can not proceed and have to re-play it over and over and over......

18. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

You brokeded my brainz.

Anywho, 4 hours to complete Wanted? It's not that bad. Look at Call of Duty games, they're so damn short. And Resident Evil 5... People have completed that in just over an hour :eek:

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Right then... so a little update.

Today whim took my fancy and I managed to grab a copy of Rise of the Argonauts Xbox 360 extremely cheaply. I'm well aware of the reviews and therefore wasn't expecting a great deal.

However I'm pleasantly surprised with the game. I'm about 90 mins in and so far the game seems interesting, and far from the turkey I was expecting.

Graphically the game has received a real slating in all the reviews, however I don't think it looks that bad if I'm honest. Yes it looks like an early next-gen title, but thats still a lot better than the upgraded PS2 comments it received in some pretty unfair reviews.

I've installed the game to my 360 hard-drive, and loading times are obviously swift. Frame rate stutters happen here and there, but for the most part the frame rate is stable and those judders don't affect game performance.

Apart from dodgy lip syncing in the very first cut-scene on Jason, the rest of the speech and lip sync is good, and it is a game with a lot of speech. Which I actually like in games, especially ones like this where its the story rpg arc which drives the game forward and not the combat which is a means to an end (unlike many other hack / slash games where its the other way round and the emphasis is on fighting and the story is coming along for the ride).

I will post further review information once I've invested more time into the game, but I'm liking what I've encountered so far. My argonauts are gathering in number and I'm setting sail..... :)

Maybe not a game for everyone, but hey were all different and I'm glad I took the chance on this title - even if it was the bargain basement price that drove me to doing so.

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

nice to hear such positivity, every time i see this title i have to force myself to remember all those bad reviews, but there is still a part of me that just wants to give it a go.

Let us know how it continues, I might just buy it after all!

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

On the bargain scence, Gamestop in the US was selling a bunch of good games for cheap. Sonic Rush Adventure and Metal Slug 7 for the DS were 15 bucks and looked decent

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I just picked up The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and as I expected its really good. I completed Butcher Bay on the original Xbox and it was legend now I'm going to do it again with updated graphics and a expansion(dark athena)...screw the multplayer crap.

I'm set until InFamous and Fat Princess.

Bless

23. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I picked up Chrono Trigger for the DS and Warcraft 3 battlechest for $30

24. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Glad to hear it. I will be picking this up. The remake of Butcher Bay is almost worth the asking price alone. Not out for a couple of weeks here though.

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I'm going to have to warn you about the shooting sections MRU...the guards in this game have pin point accuracy in the dark, when they're moving, leaning & barrel roll shooting. The guards will empty their clip into you before you can turn around...FRUSTRATING!

The shooting segments are not that good but the game(s) is still good. EBB is almost five years old and it still stands up to the big games in the graphic department.

Oh one more thing...the A.I :mad::(

Bless