Archive and Re-Install to speed up my newly bought(but used) mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Johnny7, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Johnny7 macrumors member

I don't like using my new computer from where the original owner left off and wanted to know if it'd be smart to archive and install in order to keep the apps the original owner left but also to get a fresh install of mac os which I guess would also speed up me system? I don't want to do a wipe and install for I don't want to lose the iLife suite/photoshop/final cut apps. It's running mac os x(10.4.11). The disk is 10.4.6 but you just update it to 10.4.11 via internet connection, correct? Just want to make sure this will all work fluidly. One more thing.. this guy did not give me the restore disks, he made me a tiger disk :\(burned it on a dvd), will it work like a regular disk?

Thanks,
    Johnny:apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why didn't he give you the restore discs? He cannot use them with other Macs so they should be useless for him. The burned disc should work but I can't guarantee that, too often burned discs have some issues. BTW, why not to upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard?

3. Johnny7 thread starter macrumors member

I'd upgrade to snow leopard but the prices for those disks are outrageous on ebay and craigslist because they no longer make them, I only wish it could run snow leopard, those disks are so cheap.

Thanks,
    Johnny

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ahh, so it's PPC? But yeah, the Tiger disc should work, give it a try

5. Johnny7 thread starter macrumors member

I may, I'm a bit nervous, though. I am a long time PC user so I have no other mac os disks and if this disk isn't correctly made, I'd be out of luck until I found a real copy. :S

Thanks for the quick replies :D
    -Johnny

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

if you contact apple they will get you what they call fulfillment disks, which are the disks that shipped with the computer when it was sold. It costs about $30 or so.