Are All I5 Imac’s The Same Speed ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kangaruu, Sep 24, 2018.

1. kangaruu macrumors newbie

Can anyone give me an idea how much faster a modern 2017 27”IMac i5 quad core 3.4/8 is as compared to an older generation say 2013 27”IMac i5 quad core 3.2 in real terms ??
    This will b a music machine only . You can pick up an older machine for considerably less , update the HD for an SSD , max out the RAM .And yu can’t be far off attaining the same level of excellence for a third of the price . Please people am I wrong ??

2. tdhurst macrumors 601

tdhurst

Making music or playing music?

3. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

Making . Logic . Appoggee .

4. tdhurst macrumors 601

tdhurst

You're not wrong.

You'll get small percentage gains with the new model, though the built-in SSD is usually much faster than most aftermarket options.

5. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2018 ---
    Thanks man . I’ve been wandering about that , the fastest Ssd’s I can find are generally read/write 500mb/s yet Apple quotes speeds way way above this ? How is that possible ?what are they doing in there ?!??

6. dukeblue219 macrumors regular

You're not looking at the right SSDs I think. There's SATA SSDs that are basically drop-in replacements for mechanical HDDs, and then there's NVME/PCIe SSDs which are another order of magnitude faster. For example, the Samsung 970 Pro has an advertised read speed of 3500MB/s and write speed of 2700MB/s.

It's not really the flash itself that's limiting the slower ones, but the SATA-III protocol is limited to about 600 MB/s.

7. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

8. tdhurst macrumors 601

tdhurst

Can those NVME/PCIe SSDs work as SATA HD replacements?
    I've always assumed not, though I wasn't willing to look very hard.

9. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

your totally right - thanks for that explanation - so would the ssd part of a ‘fusion’ drive (as in 2013/14 iMac )be in effect faster than swapping a Sata Hd for a sata - type ssd ?? Is it just new generation that hit those speeds ? They are very desirable. Thanks so much u guys . This is excellent

10. tdhurst macrumors 601

tdhurst

I doubt it: http://barefeats.com/imac5k1.html

11. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent link/article tdhurst . Many many Thanks . Really poor speeds (comparatively) . Will definitely be using that thunderbolt port ! Flash clearly the way to go ... but still the possibility of the ThunderBolt - LaCie speeds : Awesome ( I havnt looked at price yet ... though )

Are SATA Hd’s even worst then ? Things are really speeding up : Gr8 news . I need deeper pockets !!!
    Thanks Tdhurst & Dukeblue219 . Feeling much clearer about things and my choices . Excellent work . Ace

12. tdhurst macrumors 601

tdhurst

Oh yes.

SSD with Thunderbolt external seems like the best way to go, for me.
    I'm working with an SSD and a USB 3 connected HD right now and it feels like I'm driving a sports car that suddenly has a trailer attached to it.

But like you, I also need deeper pockets.

13. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent work arounds !

14. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thunderbolt Ports . There are now 1.2.3 different types / updates . The slowest (1) is still 2gb/s ! Surely that’s fast enough !

15. Candykane75 macrumors member

Candykane75

Stop giving bad advice , because you do not need super insane SD speeds , you will hardly know differences between a good sata SSD and apple insane SSD in normal day to day stuff.

Any Imac i5 from Mid-2011 and later will do fine.
    just make sure you have 8GB ram and just pop in a nice SSD with a sensor cable from macsales and you will be fine.

But if you are on a real budget and want to go real cheap machine just for your music you can do it for just a few dollars

A Power Mac G5 7,3 with Logic Pro 7,
    can handle 95 tracks running with out braking a sweat and they cost next to nothing you can find them any where for few bucks
    they are easy upgradable . In my country you buy them for 20-40 Euro. Just stay away of the water cooled ones

here are some intel benchmarks results that dont say any thing.
    http://logicbenchmarks.com/benchmark-results/

system specs for Appoggee then you see this you know any mac will do
    System Requirements
    • Computer: Mac, with an Intel or PowerPC G5 processor
    • Memory: 1 GB minimum of installed RAM, 2 GB recommended

16. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    Thanks CandyCane , your right in that old systems perform really well and are cheap . I’m coming from Logic 8 on a 2008 MacBook Pro . Made a lot of music !! Awesome machine . Until something goes wrong and your suddenly wide open , unsupported and uncurrent . I’ve swapped out my hd for an ssd begun again but still ... I have this feeling that although the constant update thing is for me very annoying and costly ... that’s its good to stay a little closer to current than I presently am ... for when things go wrong . All the advice has been really help ful ! I’ve learnt a lot . I’m looking for a midway point where I’m ‘in’ with the new wave of machines , they’re not too old and hopefully reliable and not too silly expensive !

Is that track count ... in the table ? I got my old system up again today ... heaven and peace restored ... then a panic kernel ! Is there an end ?!

I am horribly dependent on my Mac ! I’m heading for that 2013/14 area I think . Hopefully less likely to have hardware issues that I can’t fix or our motherboard expensive . Good thinking ?

Ps the thought of having a crazy fast thunderbolt ssd drive is kind a sexy too right ?!?! Surely you’d feel that sparky ness in the system wouldn’t you ?

But yes . It’s good to cut away the ******** to the day to day : making music and hopefully fewer problems !! Thnkuuu for ure input . Lovin all the advice here
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    Is that Your system ???

17. propower macrumors 6502a

IME...
    SATA SSD Macs have all been very good performers. HDD and Fusion Macs even to this day are not the first choice for Musicians - especially for those that use lots of VIs and even more so for those that edit videos as well. Starting in 2013 with the MP - PCI SSDs came with 2X to 3X the speed. They hit ~6 to 10X the older SSD speeds in the last few years. This makes a significant difference to boot times, program loads, plugin loads, and a very big difference in video editing. So all these matter to a some extent. (I have owned all these systems over time - primary use - Music production and Music videos).

Is a 3.7GHz CPU from 2013 as fast as a 2017 3.7GHz CPU? Yes - but for musicians - not quite the right question. again IME - Every generation of CPUs has gotten only slightly faster but is able to run far larger Logic ProX sessions. All still got the job done - but newer has always been better. Part of this is that the CPU is in a whole ecosystem of parts. Each piece improves as time goes on.

If I were looking in the used market though - 2015 with PCIe SSD option installed is where I would start...

PS - Logic 8 is great I am sure. Logic X today would be am enormous change and give huge increase in built in plugs and VIs.

18. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Propower , I hear you , first on Logic ... yes I am committed to change ! I called around and it seems pretty soon I’ll forget the old days !!

Yes looking at 2015 . Hopefully 3.5 ghz ( might have to b 3.2/4) 5k Retina 27” Flash

Propower Is the PCIe connection in those iMacs or can it be swapped out ?

19. kangaruu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much you guys . I bought the 2014/15 3.5 GHz i5 27” IMac with flash drive and 16g Ram Retina Screen . Running logic 10.4 . I have the remote app on the phone and iPad to check levels etc while recording . The FW duet still works find with the thunderbolt converter . The power and silence is ridiculous. Still getting to grips with some of the Logic 10 stuff like changing the mute architecture , which seems to mute tracks not regions and the colours , love the group track deletes , pan’s . Love the remote app — tube eq/ comp arnt bad either . Working well . Still a bit nervy - miss the way the sample edit window works and there being less to look at . Changed that very dark grey to slightly lighter ! Increased text size of fades window . Very Happy . Special thanks to Propower and to all who helped ! Thnku . ( next venture will b a Macbookpro thunderbolt 3 and a Uad arrow ! - check that out )