Are all individuals equal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Jul 7, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi,

Do you guys think that all individuals are equal? This isn't supposed to be a racial discussion, but rather a discussion on individuals themselves. I.e. is a crackhead just as valuable as a stock broker? Or, is a little girl who's father died just as important as Paris Jackson, who had approximately 9999999^99x9 people watching her cry over her deceased father? Or what about someone who steals, are they as equal as someone who lives their life cleanly?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Don't think it would have turned into a racial discussion. Why would it?

4. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I'm pretty sure it will be traumatizing for her to have to live with the fact that her grief was made into a national spectacle so people who never even met her father could play mourner as well.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

born equal. however, ones actions define their worth imo

with that said, everyone has the same basic rights that need to be protected

but no, not all individuals are equal, far from it

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It depends entirely on your criteria.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Mature people are supposed to be treated equal, but alas, they really are not.

I think that everybody is equal.

I mean, if somebody's about to be killed, would you really ponder about if his/her life is well enough to be saved, and you die or if they are better than you? No, the right person would risk his/her life to save the other person, making everybody equal. But, if both people lived, and the person who was originally going to be killed/dying did something bad to mess up his/her life and Person B saw it, then if the same situation would happen again, I doubt that person B would be in his/her right mind to save Person A.

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I believe that everyone is "uniquely equal". No one person is just like the next, nor are they good at "everything", but I believe that everyone certain talents that they can definitely contribute to society...obviously not everyone does their part but it doesn't mean they aren't capable.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes i would. unless its my family, i wont offer myself up willingly nor risk it my life unduly.
    if it was a family member i would

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Are all people equal? Yes, as far as human worth goes. Are they treated that way? No.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

QFT

/Thread :D

12. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

We are all different. No one is equal to anyone else. If the question is should they necessarily be treated equally, I would say no to that too.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why do you say that?

14. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Of course not. I know most people say that everybody's equal because if you don't you're a horrible person, but seriously, if you had to kill either Adolf Hitler or Jesus Christ, who would you choose? Be honest. You wouldn't say "everybody's equal, so I guess I'll just use my Coin Flip app to decide." You'd kill Hitler, because he had such a douchey mustache. There's nothing wrong with that.

Also, all men are definitely not created equal, and not everyone is lucky enough to be capable of leading a decent life and contributing to society by not being lazy. It's popular but ridiculous to believe that.

15. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

It's not practical, and it's not the way the world works. The things that make us different will always be factored in for some treatment considerations. Equal treatment for all people will never be a universal reality, and I don't think it should be. People should be treated as individuals, receiving rewards and punishments based on their individual circumstances and past actions.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fair enough.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The quite unfortunate state of the world is that we are neither born into equal situations, nor do we have equal opportunity to make our own success. Some are born into the perfect life to promote success and others are born in squalor and will never have the opportunity to leave.

This is ultimately, I think, where we can effect some true change, in helping to ensure that future generations at least start out on a relatively even playing field. We as people are inherently all different to an extent, and it is a foolish person who feels that we can ever truly achieve a classless society...yet providing everyone an equal platform to jump off of as children will let the true stars rise to the top, whether they were born into privilege or not. How can you attempt to provide an equal starting platform and opportunity for everyone? Excellent and properly funded schools everywhere for everyone, government healthcare, strong social welfare. In this system those with true drive, ambition, intelligence and innate ability are given the opportunity to rise to their potential.

How many potential doctors, poets, engineers and mathematicians are born into families of 8 in rural West Virginia, only to work in a coal mine and develop a painkiller addiction? How many grow up in the inner city and join a gang? How much potential is there in the children of Africa, lost to disease and abject poverty?

18. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

See, I personally think Robin Hood and people like him who are "vigilante social workers" who work for the community are bad people, simply because they are unfairly taking from people who earned their money one way or another.

I also believe that people who are functional drug users are not necessarily bad people. Just because one's addicted to a drug doesn't make them a bad person.

Another example: A person growing up in the "projects" decides to steal something from another to enhance/make better his/her life. I would consider he/she to be a bad person.

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I think there is a natural human tendency to define oneself (at least partially)in relation to others. This tends to promote inequality in at least perception, if not practice.

In a certain way, all humanity is equal - but due to the multiplicity of people and subsequent criteria used for definition, for practical purposes they are not.

Humanity is just not that ecumenical - after all, Capitalism is built on at least the implication of inequality. If it were natural to treat everyone as equals, we wouldn't need to codify equality in law(s).

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The only equality is of one's rights under the law--and even that is affected by one's position and wealth.

Otherwise, there is no equality, whether mental or physical. Insofar as one's moral-value equality, again, no, except possibly in the abstract.

A criminal has rights but no value. A homeless person is regarded by most people as having no value--which is quite democratic, really.

Which all goes to prove the value of honesty and the work ethic: One gains value in the eyes of others, as well as the personal satisfaction of independence and self-sufficiency.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So, by that definition, social position is fluid. Bernie Madoff was the world's best friend for a long, long time. He had a lot of value to society as long as his pyramid scheme held up.

I think the same can be said for all those shirts on wall street. For a brief moment in time, they had value, now they're little more than scum. The color of one's collar has nothing to do with their value to society.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree. For example, many people would probably assume Steve Jobs is 'worth more' than a survivalist living in the backwoods of Montana, but if I was going to get marooned on a lonely island I'd much rather get marooned w/the survivalist than w/Jobs.

Killing either would radically alter history from that point forward so no one could ever say w/any certainty that killing Hilter would be better or worse than killing Christ.

Lethal

23. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You should look up HBD, or Human Biodiversity.

24. djellison macrumors 68020

I've been thinking about this.

A murderer is not the equal of a genius surgeon.

A corporate fraudster is not the equal of a brilliant teacher

But these are what people have become. What are they before that.

Are we born equal? I thought perhaps we were. But to be honest, I don't think so. Someone born into a family with £500M in the bank can have or do anything they like. They can achieve anything they desire. The best healthcare, the best education, every single option open to them and every possible resource to chase any dream they might have.

Someone born into a council estate to a single mum on 40 marlboro a day and an occasional drinking problem and £-2500 in the bank (that's her overdraft limit). Living, day to day, on benefits. Sad though it is, despite the help the state provides, that child is simply not going to have the options, the pathways open, the resources and support to do the same things.

BUT then, we hear of people who've made it to the top of the world, having been born at the bottom of it. We hear of people who become billionaire philanthropists from nothing.

So perhaps we ARE born equal? Or we can work to become the equal of others.

But what of health? Some are born with a genetic predisposition for cancer or parkinsons or some other dreadful disease. Some are not. Some are born with a bad metabolism meaning a healthy diet and plenty of exercise is needed just to keep their weight under control and their hearth healthy. Some are born with that innate health. That's not equality.

So after all this going back and forth I've come to the one correct answer.

I dunno.

Interesting thinking about it though.