Are all SSDs created equal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Coswyn, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Coswyn macrumors member

Coswyn

First, I'm new here and I apologize if I am not posting this in the ideal section of the forum.

I'm not just new to the forum, but to Macs as well. I own a few Apple products (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Nano), but I have never owned one of their computers. Having been increasingly exposed to OSX lately, however, I'm enthusiastic to make the conversion from Windows. The MacBook Pros appeal the most to me and I expect to purchase my first one in the next month or so, but I am using the time in between to research the best options.

One of those options is the hard drive. I've seen a few videos of boot-up and application run comparisons between the HDDs and SSDs and am certain that I will be upgrading to an SSD when the time comes. But I don't know a lot about SSDs in general, not to mention how Macs function with them, which is [partly] why I'm here.

So, after that long-winded lead-up (thanks if you're still with me:)), my question is: which SSD option should I go with for a MacBook Pro (15" i7, to be precise)?

I've heard a few names floating around for manufacturers (Intel, OCZ, Crucial, etc.) and for models (C300, M225, etc.), but I don't know which one among them is best performance wise. And how about the ones that Apple offers as upgrades in the online store? Are they any different, better or worse, than the after-market options?

I should also add one important note: I want to go with a 256GB capacity.

Thanks in advance for your input. With your help I look forward to coming to a decision soon and acquiring my first Mac. :)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Intel.

Use MRoogle or the integrated forum search to find a plethora of very recent and relevent conversation.

Oh, welcome and good luck.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

SSD are no more alike in quality and speed than cars. Intel makes the best but if you want to save a little money or at least get a little more space for it check out the Corsair P series. I've been using a P128 in my 13" MBP for a year and love it to death. It's not as fast as the Intel but its fast enough, certainly tons faster than a 7200RPM HD, and def. quieter, and its a lot less expensive. If an Intel is a Rolls Royce, the Corsair line is a BMW 7.

4. MacBird macrumors 6502

You could check out SSDs with Sandforce technology, sounds quite promising. The Intel SSDs are quite popular, a smaller one might be a good choice for OS and applications and then get a Firewire 800 external drive for storage in case you have large files.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

If reliability is a huge issue for you, the only choice is Intel. Sure the SandForce based Solid State Disks may be faster but they are virtually untested when it comes to reliability and how they stand the test of time.

6. wrboyce macrumors 6502

I've got a 256GB C300 and it runs like a dream.

7. Bulldog321 macrumors newbie

you should check out the tech review site anandtech.com. They are constantly reviewing SSDs and doing some comprehensive benchmark testing.

8. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

Thanks for all of the replies.

Anyone ever used the Corsair P256? It got great reviews on Newegg and I'm wondering how it holds up against the Crucial C300 (and the Intel X25-M, for that matter (even though it's smaller capacity)).

9. chopper dave macrumors regular

I've been having serious problems with a Corsair F100 (Sandforce), so much that I gave up and sent it back for an Intel x25-m G2.

It was crazy fast, but not as fast as its spec (at least in XBench) so I performed a secure erase to do a clean install and benchmark again. After that, I was never able to get the OSX install to complete without an IO error at some point. Yes, I could probably get it to work again if I could flash the firmware (Corsair doesn't have a flash tool) but I got an SSD to save time and this one already cost me a whole day and a few grey hairs.

10. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

well the SF controller is very much so in a beta state.

11. gotzero macrumors 68040

Another happy P128 user here. All SSDs are no equal, but I think that the differences are magnified by users and reviewers...

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

13. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I'm sorry, but please search Macrumors instead of starting a new thread. We've discussed this issue so many times now I've lost count.