Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I'm looking to get a new cable modem and a wireless router. For the router, I was considering the Time Capsule. But, reading up on it a bit, I've been hearing all these horror stories about it working fine for a month, and then connections get dropped, computers can't connect, etc. One of the biggest things for me is router management. I want to be able to have a simple tool for assigning static IP addresses, etc. I can't do this with my current router, so I was hoping I could stick with Time Capsule and work with the Airport Utility.

So, basically, is Time Capsule worth it? Has the most recent firmware update fixed all the issues people have been having with it? If I'm spending $299, I need to be sure it will be reliable.

solidgoldmini

macrumors regular
As with most things, you hear the most from those who have problems. We have a Time Capsule here in our office and it works flawlessly. At home, I have 2 Airport Extremes, and they also have worked perfectly. No dropped connections, no connection problems with any of a housefull (is that a word?) of gadgets. But with anything, it will depend on your setup and your luck.

If you're feeling the TC, go for it.

MacDanielG

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
FLA
I agree... I bought a time capsule about 2-3 months ago and i have not dealt with any crazy problems. I did go through a connection being dropped problem not too long ago but i fixed it in no time.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Glad to hear it's working well for you all, but it's too late. I've gone ahead and ordered the D-Link DIR-665 instead. A similar 802.11n router with gigabit Ethernet.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Glad to hear it's working well for you all, but it's too late. I've gone ahead and ordered the D-Link DIR-665 instead. A similar 802.11n router with gigabit Ethernet.

So you waited less than 5 hours after getting good reviews of the TC and bought something else.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
I've had my Airport Extreme since October and I've never had a single problem with it.

It performs just as well as it did when I first used it.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
So you waited less than 5 hours after getting good reviews of the TC and bought something else.
While I was waiting for replies here, I was doing research on many other sites, all of which recommended the D-Link over the Apple.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
While I was waiting for replies here, I was doing research on many other sites, all of which recommended the D-Link over the Apple.
Actually you can still get the Time Capsule. Just hook it to your D-Link in bridge mode. That way you can have both a 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ connection. The 5 GHZ network is very fast and works great with other Apple devices (Apple TV, Macbook, etc). I have found it much better than 2.4 GHZ.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus

I had a D-Link and it would drop my connection all the time. I would constantly have to wait for it to reconnect. I upgraded to an Airport Extreme Base Station and now I get full signal throughout the house. I also get a much better range. I tested it out and walked into my neighbors yard with my computer. Still held its signal. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.