Are all these iPhone rumors a red herring? Poll

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sangdushi, Jun 2, 2012.

?

Are these rumors a red herring?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Sangdushi macrumors regular

Cook said that Apple is doubling down on secrecy. On top of that, I find the rumors to just be stupid, simply stretching the iPhone is the laziest thing I've ever heard. I highly doubt Apple would do something, they know how big of a deal this is.

2. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I sure hope so. Stretching the iPhone is extraordinarily stupid.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

People said horrible things about the 4S. It was probably one of the most critisized products released in recent memory...

It went on to become the best selling iPhone, and one of the best reviewed phones sold ever.

The same thing will happen with the next iPhone.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think it's out of the realms of possibility...

5. Twixt macrumors 6502

Geeks, tech experts, design lovers, american people are way outnumbered by average buyer of iphone 4s: 1st smartphone, possibly from developing country, doesnt care what is inside except apple print on the back...
    iphone becomes like louis vuitton's bag : original clients base does not count for much ... So that we criticized anything about this 4s (I personally was very disappointed and kept my 3GS) has no impact on sales as we are not these mass buyers reflected by crazy iphone volumes...

6. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I think they are fake decoy rumors as well. Apple is not stupid, they know what they have to do to stay head and shoulders above the rest, simply stretching the phone to be a little taller and integrating Facebook isn't gonna do it.

I will be shocked if Apple releases that stretched iPhone with an iOS 6 that is hardly an improvement at all. I know many many people will be too. I keep hearing that only us techies and geeks worry about this kind of stuff but I know plenty of your average every day people that are getting a little tired and bored of the same old same old from their iPhones and iOS. Apple knows this and they'll release something that'll blow everyone away. The biggest company in the world isn't gonna make amateurish mistakes like people are thinking they will.

7. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I agree that just stretching the phone is stupid, but saying "Apple knows just stretching the phone and adding FB won't keep them ahead" is ludicrous.

Apple's ease of use, ecosystem, halo effect etc will keep it ahead. iOS is great. iPhone 4S looks amazing, is extremely responsive and it just works.

What do other phones have that Apple doesn't? 4G/LTE? Coming. Bigger Screen? taller iPhone = bigger screen. Quad Core? As long as the phone is fast/functional, who cares?

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

.?.

I am still wondering if it is the tapered design that all of the case leaks were for in September. That sure would be much nicer than this design (although this one looks fine also). I would rather them just stretch the screen and keep resolution and aspect ratio the same

9. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Simply put, the iPhone 4S was a continuation of the best smartphone on the planet, the iPhone 4. And for what it's worth, completely added to the elegance in functionality without needing a design change. However I think a stretched iPhone 4 with the headphone jack on the bottom looks hideous. And if the rumors, and leaks are accurate that's what we're getting. However, if they can give valid reasons why 16:9 aspect ratio is best then I will eat crow. I said a lot of these same things just before the iPhone 4 was released as I was growing weary of my iPhone 3G, but when the 4 came out sang a different tune, so let's hope Apple can still surprise us! :cool:

10. Syk macrumors 6502a

I hope so because I rather have a taller/wider design but I feel the stretch design is what we'll see:(

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

When you have millions of customers to please, you have to figure a few hundred thousand or more will be pissed off at any decision you make.

I personally do think some of these recent leaks are decoys. If the next iPhone is a stretched out version of what we have now I will have to give it a good few days of use before I can decide if I want to keep it. I'm not really hung up on a larger screen, so I am much more concerned about the other specs and iOS 6.

Either way, Apple has a plan and I imagine it's a good one. If we don't like the next iPhone then for once I can honestly say there is a Android or two out there I wouldn't mind testing out (NEVER thought I'd say that, but Samsung is kind of nailing it lately).

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

ChrisTX, if you have to be TOLD by Apple that a design works, something's seriously wrong. You can (and seem to have) decide for yourself if the stretched iPhone 4 is hideous or not (I agree, it is). Apple can blab all they want but it wont change that this is a cheap, unimaginative cop-out.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's a big possibility. Apple probably wants to lower people's expectations, so whatever they release will seem amazing.

14. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

I agree. The next iPhone will be more successful than the 4s and it doesn't matter what critics or current iPhone users say. But, in the end, competition does matter so ignoring customers today would cost Apple later. Thankfully, Apple seems responsive to its customers despite its success. The next iPhone will be more than just a stretched phone, if that is really what they do.

15. chokem macrumors 6502

I've bought the last three models on release day. If all they do is stretch it without widening it (which I highly doubt), I will not be getting the i5 or whatever it's called.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The same people that bitch about a "stretched" iPhone are probably the same functional retards that called the iPad just a "big iPhone", or think iOS is boring because it's worked well for 5 years unlike android, or that there is no difference between the iPhone 4 and 4S.

They don't understand and just don't get it, and if not by now, they never will.

17. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Why is stretching it a bad idea? It isn't making the phone longer by much, it will still have the same feel in your hand as the current one does which means it won't feel close to a phablet like some of the other Androids out there, there will be a substantial amount of real estate added, and videos in widescreen will look epic.

:confused:

----------

I call your bluff.

----------

And you'll be back. Just like practically every other person.

It's good to talk like you'd be open to the idea, but if you're at all invested in the Apple ecosystem, I am fairly certain you'll be back by the time your return period is up on that Android.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The android ecosystem makes your soul cry. It is a painful experience.

While transitioning from android to iOS, our home was a hybrid for a time. My wife had an android tablet, and phone, and I was running a iPad and iPhone 4S.

Side by side you realize that android is just ass. Slow, laggy, buggy. It does everything in its power to get noticed when all you want to do is enjoy your phone.

19. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

The point I'm trying to make here is that everyone hated the iPhone 4 design that was leaked prior until Steve Jobs announced it on stage as an official product. I'll reserve final judgement until it get's an official announcement by Apple. With all of these leaks so soon, it makes you wonder if we won't see something sooner rather than later.

20. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Lol if I could down vote your post 10 times more I would

21. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Ok, so maybe the next iPhone is going to be longer, but I said this before, a longer iPhone would feel better in the hand, especially when making a call than a wide phone would. Just imagine holding it to your ear:)p)

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Maybe people should go to school before posting polls. This is another worthless one. Both answers are right.

Actually, two different questions are asked.

If the word ALL is included, then the answer is of course "no". No matter what, ALL rumors can not be correct, or wrong.

Sorry.... just a stupid poll. Of course some/most rumors are false. But, somewhere in the middle of the mess, there are some facts (real, or lucky guesses)

23. chokem macrumors 6502

----------

I call your bluff.

----------

Haha. So you're saying I can't make it till Oct of 2013 without a new iPhone if I skip the i5? I wish I were a betting man.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

On the flipside, maybe there will be some great feature that utilizes that extra screen real-estate? Do I think stretching the screen is stupid? Sure. I am sure we all have thought something was pointless until the reasoning was explained. That could happen with the iPhone, or it could not. We won't know until it is revealed, most likely.

25. Twixt macrumors 6502

Maybe you should read some sell side analysts research then...