Are any of you 1st gen. owners holding back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I have the edge iPhone, and I was wondering if there's anyone that still has it and is planning not to upgrade... As much as I want the 3Gs I can't justify spending $399 on it. Someone convince me. :D

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Okay.

How about this: You don't have to spend $399 on it. The $399/499 price applies to the 3G owners.

It should be $199/299 for EDGE owners (I know this because I'm an EDGE owner and I checked on Apple.com).

3. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I thought original iPhone owners were eligible for the $199/$299 pricing?

4. melllvar macrumors regular

yes, Im sticking with my 1st gen. just hope tomtom will support external gps.

dont like plastic and dont really need 3g

5. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

My step mom gave me the 2g after I had already gotten a subsidy on a crappy sony phone. So apparently I need to pay the early upgrade fee... It sucks.

6. fteter macrumors member

I'll Probably Pass

I'll probably pass on standing in line and stick with my Edge phone. Depends on how functional the iPhone 3.0 OS is for me...I'll only upgrade if I miss out on some functionality that seems important to me by sticking with my current iPhone.

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Im not,

*Cheap price only 199
    *GPS
    *Compass
    *Way faster CPU
    *Voice
    *Video
    *Youtube uploading
    *More storage space (I'm still on my 4gb model here folks, I need some room)

8. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The first-gen iPhone won't support turn-by-turn (or any) GPS or MMS.

Other than that most 3.0 features should work.

9. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

I want the new 3gs but think I may hold out until Xmas. That is when my contract is up. I have lived without it for this long but a little annoyed the mms will not work with gen1 phone. Also I assume we get no video as well. I like the idea of the new camera as well but again I don't think I'll be making the change unless my gen1 has an "accident" ;)

Question if I did want to upgrade does that mean I have to turn in gen1 or could I sell? What are they fetching these days anyway?

10. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I would think the biggest reason to not upgrade was being able to keep the $20/month iphone plan with texting. Do you still have that, or are you spending $35/month (including texting) like the rest of us 3G owners?

11. showtime macrumors 6502

Wouldn't you be eligible for the $199/$299 price since you have the first generation iPhone that wasn't subsidized?

Anyhow you'd get to keep your old one and it should still fetch you a pretty penny. Since the 2G iPhones the the 3.0 update as well I don't see how you can't get back $200 at least for the phone.

Anybody know the processor/speed difference between the 2g iphone and the 3g?

12. Bulliet macrumors newbie

I have the edge i-Phone (had it for 2 years) and I just tried to pre-order the new 3G S iphone. It told me I will have to pay $299 for the 16gb and $399 for the 8gb.

What is the deal here? I doubt I'll pay that steep a price.

13. bjquach macrumors 6502

I thought it's either 199/299 or 399/499 or 599/699

14. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

It's all about the Plan to me.

Gen 1 because of 2 reasons, and they are:
    Better build quality (I still believe this to be)
    Better/cheaper plan.

AT&T better up it's game, but judging by the no show at WWDC while announcing to the entire planet they get tethering out of the gate... AT&T just is up to it's usual.

Let's see how much more we can squeeze..

Not me, no way.

Honestly, how in the HELL do you not announce the plans at an event that has been scheduled for 6 months as the sole carrier in the US... WTF.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Or stereo bluetooth.

Personally, I am definitely NOT holding back. Resisting the 3G was hard enough, but IMO this update is even more significant for a 3G owner than last year's was for a 2G owner. The importance of the new processor, RAM, and storage can't be overstated if you like 3rd party apps. Just like with a desktop OS, developers will gradually take advantage of all that storage space and processing power by creating better and better apps that eventually will surpass the capabilities of the 2G and 3G iphones.

Video recording, the better camera with autofocus, the compass, and nike+ are all welcome as well, but the iphone is not really a phone at all - it's a pocket-sized computer that happens to make phone calls. And when a computer doubles its processing power, storage space, and RAM from the previous generation, that's a bandwagon that it's worth jumping on.

16. Justinm59 macrumors regular

I'd probably hold back if my first gen wasn't giving me problems. It's constantly changing from silent to not silent (it vibrates when ever it changes and is annoying). It also always thinks it is being plugged into an accessory. I've been putting up with it until this upgrade so I'll hopefully pick one up the 19th or shortly after. The only negative thing is that I don't have 3g where I live atm.

17. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

i will be. it seems like Edge is getting worse every single day. Orlando and Norfolk are now blanketed in 3G so I'll be getting one soon

18. chox99 macrumors regular

I have 2 2G iPhone. I don't have data plan. I have stand alone GPS. Don't like plastic back of 3G, 3GS. Absolutely no reason to switch. :p

19. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

There will be a new iPhone in ~six months:

• Not exclusive to AT&T
    • New casing & bezel that has been leaked
    • Multi-tasking enabled
    • Custom Processor
    • Identified as 3,1 in the OS

Bookmark this post if you like. If you can hold out, do it.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not too happy about the glossy plastic back but I want video recording so it's time to upgrade.

21. Shabbis macrumors regular

I have a release day original iPhone, the speaker finally died, so I am upgrading June 19th.

22. fishballer macrumors member

i would've stayed with my 2g, but unfortunately i lost it 3 weeks ago, so it's with a bittersweet heart that i will get the 3gs.

:)

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I will upgrade when I can get the lower price. I'm not going to pay the extra $200 to upgrade early.

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Im not holding out anymore, i cant wait for the 3gs, and im already eligible for the update so im getting it for $199

25. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I doubt it, apple is on a pretty strict timeline with iphones...