Are any of you buying Apple Care?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Sep 13, 2012.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

$100... seems like its just a waste of money imo

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

i bought it on the 4s, havn't needed it. Not buying it for the iP5.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

4. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Nope, I am going SquareTrade. 93 bucks (on sale!) that covers the phone for 2 years incase it decides to take a swim with me, or I chuck it against a wall. ;)

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Well it's basically insurance also. Two replacements for $49 each, even covering accidental damage.

If you end up using both of those, you've gotten two years of warranty and two replacements due to accidents for a total of $200. That's about $8 per month for the two year period.

6. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I think you can transfer from your 4s to the 5. You should have 1 year left.

7. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

Isnt it only 1 year? Since the iPhone already comes with a year included...

8. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I am 100% buying it. Ironically, I dropped my iPhone on the day of the iPhone 5 announcement and cracked the screen (first time in 5 years). I have best buy insurance so it is getting fixed. But I want to deal with Apple if there is a next time and I want my new phone right away. Best Buy gave me a old slow loaner phone. Also, I want the extra year of warranty.

----------

It gives you an extra year. So two years with AppleCare+

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

why not AppleCare+ which is for 2 years also?

10. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Never have and probably never will. Im not a clumsy person and in my history of owning all the iPhones I think I have only dropped it once on accident and no damage was present.

11. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

AppleCare doesnt cover accidental damage.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

AppleCare+ does, which is the only AppleCare for your iPhone

13. Kermy macrumors member

Yes it does.

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

AppleCare + does, not regular AppleCare.

Edit: Never mind

15. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Can anyone confirm this?

16. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Won't be getting Apple Care for iP5 is a waste of money.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

18. 87am macrumors regular

Yes. You call applecare directly and they can transfer the policy.

19. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Getting it from my next check in a week, and an Apple TV, and a case. Hopefully I'll be able to get all three (well two AppleCare+, Apple TV, and two cases but you get the idea) on the 21st.

AppleCare+ is huge for me because my phones usually get kept for 2 years and get highly busted. I've had to replace several parts in my last few smartphones, and they still end up falling apart by the end of 24mos. Plus, the batteries get replaced at least once from losing steam. With AC+ covering battery replacements, extended warranty, and accidental damage (though accidental damage claims carry the $49 fee), it'll definitely pay for itself. Even if I only use one accident claim and one battery claim, on the 23rd month I might drop my phone and get a whole new pristine one to sell on eBay and buy an iPhone 6! :D

In the past I've gotten insurance for $8-10/month with $99-150 deductibles and made multiple claims, plus paid for replacement screens and batteries out of pocket, and this will be an enormous savings, plus all genuine Apple parts and walk-in service at a store. Amazing.

20. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I buy my Iphones with my Amex, this way I get an extra year of insurance for free. I've used the coverage once, when I dropped my Ip4 and it cracked; Amex covered me for a full replacement.

21. Kermy macrumors member

I think for AMEX, the insurance is only for 90 days, but they extend the warranty for 1 (2?) years.

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

the loss insurance is 90 days but yes on the warranty.

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

5 iphones across family, some since first version.

Never needed service, etc. Look at all the money we have saved over the years.

YMMV

24. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Not getting it. AppleCare+ is $100 upfront + $50 service fee when it comes time to replace.

I've never had to replace my phone (knock on wood). If I accidentally drop my phone I can just walk in and pay $200 and get another phone. Doing it this way means I don't throw away $100 if I don't use a replacement.

25. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Looks like I was wrong. Regular applecare can be transferred to new equipment as seen below, while applecare(+) can only be transferred to a new person using the same equipment

applecare terms and conditions

10. Transfer of Plan

(ii) With Transfer From Original Covered Equipment to New Covered Equipment. You may make a one time, permanent transfer of the coverage under the Plan to a new Apple product that is owned and purchased by you within thirty (30) days of the Covered Equipment purchase. The new product must be eligible for coverage under the Plan and at the time of transfer both products must be covered under the manufacturer’s one (1) year limited warranty. Apple will issue a Plan Confirmation for the new product, which will then become the Covered Equipment. When notifying Apple of the transfer, you must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers and Proof of Purchase of the products being transferred by sending or faxing, where available, notice of transfer to Apple as set forth in the section immediately above.

Applecare+ terms and conditions

10. Transfer of Plan
    Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your rights under the Plan to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer includes the original proof of purchase, the Plan's Confirmation and all of the Plan's printed materials and these Terms and Conditions; (b) you notify Apple of the transfer by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217-AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916- 405-3655 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively, and (c) the party receiving the Plan accepts the terms and conditions of the Plan. When notifying Apple of the transfer of the Plan, you must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial number of the Covered iPhone being transferred, and the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.