Are any of you running 17'' MBP with intel X25-M 160GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azazazz, May 27, 2010.

1. azazazz macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm gonna purchase my firs MBP 17' which has core i7 processor and 8G RAM, as for the hard drive, I've read many reviews said Toshiba SSD Which Apple's offering is not good, so I wont consider that one.
    Just wondering, in terms of my MBP's specification, what alternative SSD should I consider or are any of you running 17'' MBP with intel X25 160GB? I was told this option would be great..... What I'm trying to do with this laptop is basically jus moderate use BTW, if I'm getting my MBP with this SSD, how well the battery will perform? Whether an good SSD can have an effect on battery life? THX

2. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    You could try this?

It showed this http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hdd It's a hybrid so has a 4gb SSD and a 500gb mechanical drive.

However it seems to drain battery, it may be fine on a 17". But remember it is the first of its kind so there will be more better ones coming out from competitors soon.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It seems like many forum members thinks that OWC makes the best 200GB+ SSDs for macs, due to speed and the fact OWC has been very good at mac support.
    The OWC 240GB costs $699

4. easy-mac macrumors member

5. azazazz thread starter macrumors newbie

6. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I would imagine that the actual numbers of people world-wide is low so on a tech site could be none!

it is very easy to change your hard drive on a MBP. Hell, if you're buying that machine at that spec you could afford the service charge for someone to change it!

your best bet is to get the top of the range drive you can afford, NOT apple's offering.

Intel are bringing out some new technology later this year so it might be worth getting a smaller drive now and upgrade when larger capacities are available.

Alternatively go for a good 200ish gb drive now and accept the financial hit.

What are you planning on using the machine for?

7. GeeLuv macrumors newbie

17" i7 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

I've got one and love it I do allot of photoshop and video and audio work on it daily. I posted in another thread how I tested my productivity over a two week period and found myself 30% more productive. I can only give credit to this new laptop.

Boot time and shutdown/restart are very fast app launches in many cases are instant. I've found myself getting frustrated when I'm not working off my SSD for something. For instance if I have to pull something off a DVD or a USB drive just not fast enough but when I'm working off my desktop wow, very fast.

I have not seen any slowing since I first purchased the laptop even though I have read the post about the Toshiba drives I have not experienced it yet.

I would recommend it for me it's has been a very positive experience.

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm on a 15" i7 with 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM... Does that count? :D

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I have Filemate in my older MBP and it did an amazing job speeding that machine up.

But as per OP's question, I have 2009 17"MBP and I put a 512 GB Kingston SSDNow V+ in it. I considered really hard getting the new 17" MBP with Apple's 512 GB SSD in it, but in the end I really didn't need to upgrade the machine itself and so I just got the SSD. It did a nice job improving the VM performance.

10. Reality4711 macrumors 6502

Reality4711

Too Hot to Handle

Tried this SSD Express card install with two cares (one replaced by supplier) and both got cooked and failed within the week.

Never did find out why, luckily supplier did the good deed for me so no loss of ££££

11. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

12. azazazz thread starter macrumors newbie

is your intel x25 working well with MBP? Does it perfectly match?

13. azazazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, plz tell me your experience. what type of SSD is with it?

14. azazazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ye it's too small and I wont use that as my boot drive

15. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Boot drive is the drive that the OS and typically apps are stored on. Any additional drives would then be called a storage drive typically. With a notebook, most people remove the SuperDrive and install an optibay in order to accomadate two drives. In a desktop it's much simplier. For notebooks it is generally advised to purchase the largest drive you can justfy if you are only going to have one drive. When adding an SSd to a desktop, it is advised to purchase the smallest drive the will accomadate your OS and apps with approx, 30% free space left over. SSDs are new tech so I wouldn't advise dropping tons of cash on today's ssds when we all know they will be updated fairly regularly. For most people, a 50gb SSS should cover all of your boot drive needs. Some might need 100gb.

16. azazazz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that , I'm thinking abt purchasing an intel X25 160GB as boot drive, and then getting another big external storage drive..

17. JerseyBill macrumors member

OK -

Am I the only one to admit to having a 17" i7 HR Glossy MBP with 8 GB memory and a 512 GB SSD?

I am loving it to death - boot up time from button press to data entry is 22 seconds and the machine is faster than stink...

I loaded bootcamp for Windows 7 and gave that partition 160 GB because I will be doing a lot of Sony Vegas and Photshop CS 5 work on Windows - but I still have a ton of space left on the OS X drive.

I benchmarked the drive the moment I got the machine but have not seen any significant change after loading up all my applications and getting the machine ready for daily use.

Frankly, this thing is so screamingly faster than a normal hard drive that any concern about it "slowing down a little" is pretty funny in my honest opinion.... So you go from lightning fast to sonic boom fast... so what ??

Anyway, I am enjoying the hell out of this drive - and I think it is the single best thing you can select to make your machine operate radically better.

18. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

You might be the exception................ seems like a lot of folks have had these fail on them. Please update us in another 6 months re how it's working.

cheers
    JohnG

19. Silversunpickup macrumors newbie

Why is everything on the left side?

I just bought the 17" mbp, replacing my old powerbook from 2005. I have to say I like the structure my old powerbook WAAAY better. Why did apple move all the ports to the left side? If they are going to do that, they should at least make the mouse cord longer for people that are right handed.

You'd think someone at apple during all the testing would of said, "Hey, maybe we should leave at least one USB port on the right side." I hope eventually they start moving some ports around to the right side again.

20. g-bomber macrumors newbie

What battery life are you getting from your laptops ? Also, do you find them uncomfortable to use on your laps ?

21. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

With full screen brightness and moderate use, I'm getting around 4 hours, maybe up to six if I'm just word processing or surfing. I've managed to crank up to 8.5 hours out of my laptop, though. With typical use though, 4-6 hours is what I get.

Oh, and I forgot to add, I almost forget it's on my lap. It's really light for it's size, and it's not uncomfortable at all unless you're doing something resource-intensive and the bottom gets warm... in which case I just spread my legs a little, turn up the fans, or reposition the computer.

22. Deeya macrumors member

I couldn't image carrying around a $4500 laptop :eek:

If you're going to spend that much money, and not carry it around, why not just buy a power house work station?

If you are going to carry it around, that takes a lot of guts. :D

23. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I have the same setup with the 256 it is very fast.

Running fusion works very well.

24. azazazz thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone here can tell me what battery life are you getting from new 17'' MBP? jus normal use.
    by the way, whether the battery life wud be longer if use with SSD?