Are any other 2014 Air owners sticking with their Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jacoblee23, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I just got my 2014 Air mid last year and I absolutely love it. I considered the retina 12 inch macbook air that came out, but the screen really honestly doesn't bother me. Whenever I had the iPad mini 1, now that screen bothered me, but for some reason the non retina screen on the Air doesn't phase me. This laptop is a beast!

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I would think that most people don't replace their laptop after just 1 year, so with all due respect, I don't think that NOT replacing your 2014 computer is anything worth making a thread about.

3. 2IS macrumors 68030

I'm sure everyone who has a 2014 Air will dump them right away.

4. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

I have a 2015 air but I certainly wont be upgrading until next year when skylake is released MAJOR change is coming with its release biggest change since Intel core I series was first released

Like you said the Air screen isn't bad at all its quite nice I would say sure retinas better but doesn't mean this one is obsolete

5. Abbara macrumors member

Got an rMBP, the retina isn't all that. Remember the 3011 dell 30" monitor from a few years ago, it was called 'ultrasharp' and had 84 pixels per inch. The Macbook Air is in the 120s range, it really is plenty for every day computing.

Retina is certainly nicer, but anything above 100 seems like a bonus to me. It sucks the airs didn't at least get 1920 x 1200, in my opinion, with layered batteries, butterfly keys and a force touchpad. You could squeeze in a lot more battery or just make it thinner, that way.

But it's still an incredible device imo. Very solid performance. I chose the rMBP because I needed 8gb and a faster CPU. Getting 8gb and an i7 would've put the air around the price of a rMBP, and then a nicer GPU/screen and better resale value on the rMBP won out. But if I didn't need this thing for work, I'd definitely go MBA 8GB over any other Mac, 2014 if possible (sweet battery and even cheaper. Just incredible value).

I feel at the next release though, a Skylake rMB might be a better purchase. Especially if they do a 14" rMB the size of the 13" MBA, but thinner and retina. I hope they drop the price by $100, like how they dropped the MBA from $1800 to $1000 in the past 7 years.

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

I'm keeping my MBA. The rMB has no appeal for me.

7. josh bear macrumors regular

Hi all

I am in the opposite camp. I have an air I travel with (2014 model) and I will be picking up a retina Mac book. The screen is something I want. My air will be on eBay soon. :)

Josh

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

No way I will be getting rid of my new MBAir 13".

I run Windows & Pro 95% of the time via bootcamp and retina is not good on Win7.

We keep the MBAir at least until the MS Surface Pro 4 arrives!:p

9. dyt1983, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

10. AWgamer macrumors newbie

I spent an hour at apple store looking at the retina versions and I wasn't that impressed. I didn't think even the 15" retina display was that amazing. I expected more I guess from reading about it.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I jumped ship to the 2015 rMBP. Man, that retina screen looks nicer the more I stare at it...

12. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I am keeping my 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA for the foreseeable future. The MBr looks like a nice tech toy, but it could not replace my MBA, which works well as a primary computer with perhiperhals at home.

13. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

Why would I upgrade when I purposely bought a 2014 before the new stuff came out?

14. John marts macrumors member

I don't plan on replacing my '14 air any time soon. I love this thing and it really amazes me that as the cheapest macbook in their lineup, its the best computer i've ever owned. Its a beast for what it is.

MAYBE the 2nd gen macbook will get me to replace it, if they make it more powerful and improve the battery life. The new one is just a straight up downgrade compared to the air. (other than its screen)