Are Apple being a bit naughty......old devices slowing down with a new product launch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nickosbad, Mar 27, 2011.

1. nickosbad macrumors regular

Hi everyone, i thought id share my experiences and pose the question to see if anyone else has noticed the same issues.

It all started with my iPhone 3GS, when the iPhone 4 came out within a few days my 3GS bcame noticibly sluggish......I put this down to coincidence

Now the same issue has seemed to have affected my iPad

I think my G1 iPad is great, from thinking it was a pointless piece of tech on release to trying it and fallin in love with it a few days after release i bought one and have used it more than I ever used my Macbook Pro

However, the last few days (since the release of iPad2) it has become very sluggish when starting apps, switching between apps and web browsing has also become slower, pages take longer to load on ANY wifi connection, i have tried a restore and even running with no apps on it to see if it was a memory issue but the results are th same

We all know that anything can be done with software but would apple be sneaky enough to make devices operate slower to prompt upgrades??

I have absolutely NO interest in buying an iPad2 but this cannot be coincidence, my GF noticed the same issues with her 3G iphone when the 3GS came out

2. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

It's possible the new software with new features is more optimized for the newer tech = old tech can run it but slower. Is it possible apple builds a "sluggish" switch into new software to encourage u to upgrade.....sure. Is it true, no idea.

3. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

No. This is quite possibly one of the silliest threads ever on this board. Do you also think the moon landing was faked?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This has all got to be in your head. My iPad 1 is working beautifully. I realize it is now old tech, but it doesn't seem to function any differently than it did before the launch of the new one.

5. nickosbad thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, why dont you tell me why my iPad has suddenly slowed down then??

6. rovex macrumors 65816

What you have come to realize is how bloody slow the iPad is. At first when I got it I didn't really pay attention but now that I have web surfing (and that checker boarding...) on it is an absolute torture.

Go on Engadget. Torture it is.

7. FutureStan macrumors member

It's more likely that as iOS matures and get better, the old devices start having a hard time handling it.

Remember, every iOS upgrade doesn't include only the new features Apple announce, but they upgrade the whole operating system -New APIs, enhanced processor/memory managements (Which may take advantage of new devices but not of old ones).. etc.

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It hasn't. It is all in your head.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The only plot here is your own brain against itself. Admit it, you went to a store and played with an iPad 2. You came home and your previously fine iPad seemed heavier, thicker, slower, older, replaceable, upgradeable, sellable. Must resist! Must blame Apple!

It happens to all of us.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't know about your iPad, but stop to think about this for a second.

As you read this, many people all around the globe are digging into the tiniest detail in every line of code in just about everything that runs from a chip. Apple is a huge company, with many rivals who would love to knock it down a peg or two and it heavily depends on presenting its best face to consumers.

Stop to imagine the damage done to Apple's brand, if a story like this was proven and took hold. Just think about the millions of dollars lost in stocks, consumer goodwill and sales. Think about the stories on huge news organisations like AP, the NYT and the BBC about Apple intentionally damaging or crippling people's existing equipment.

See why this idea seems a little silly? OK, let's move on.

11. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Off the top of my head:

Have you got a million and one programs running on the multitasking bar?
    Are you running out of storage space?
    Have you installed any new software recently?
    Have you done an OS update recently?
    Have you tried restarting the device?

Or, y'know, apple have built a remote kill switch into all their iOS devices that they flick to magically kill performance and encourage updates. Because there's no WAY that'd cause them any problems in the long run.

Now please please tell us this is just a really weird wind up...

12. TNSF macrumors member

Clearly, Steve Jobs snuck into your home and entered a secret code on your iPad that slowed it down. Steve is doing this on all of the original iPads, one by one. That is why he is on leave from Apple.

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You think we could start leaving him cookies and milk out too? :d

14. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I have to agree that my iPad 1 is a little sluggish with 4.3.1 update. I upgraded it from 3.2 mind you.

15. Gunny011 macrumors regular

My iPad 1 on iOS 4.3.1 is actually smoother than I think it's ever been.

No delay when clicking multitasking button at all
    Safari is now super quick
    Apps launch just as quick

iOS 4.3.1 was a nice update.

16. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Your "theory" is crap because if it were true, everybody with an iPad 1 would be seeing the same problem. I updated to 4.3.1 and I've seen no slowdown at all, and I was switching between apps, surfing the Net, checking Twitter and opening links. No problems at all. For all we know, you might have a thousand resource hungry apps running at the same time, might have jailbroken your unit, or have any number of things installed that could be the real culprit.

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

+1

18. foodle macrumors 6502

Short answer: no

Long answer: these are deterministic devices (iPhone, iPad, Macbook, etc.) that we are dealing with. They have characteristics that can be measured in standard ways via benchmarks. If Apple were indeed purposely hobbling older devices at new device launch, people could measure it and quantitatively demonstrate it. At that point Apple would be in a huge amount of trouble with consumers and many government agencies around the world. It is beyond ridiculous to speculate that they are doing something so massively counter productive and stupid with zero evidence, when such evidence would be so easy to gather.

19. Kitestring macrumors member

I use my iPad all the time and I haven't noticed anything. Perhaps you could try turning it off and on again, or rebooting. Maybe that will help you!

I don't have my iPad 2 yet (it's in the 3/11 shipment bucket)

20. -Macuser- macrumors newbie

21. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

My iPad 1 browser is faster than ever after the 4.3 upgrade

22. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Wow. I'm glad that my device has a built in cloaking device to keep Apple from being aware of it. I know this because my iPad hasn't shown any significant slow down or drop in battery performance or anything, except when I upgraded to iOS 4.2. iOS 3.2 definitely seemed snappier, but I was willing to sacrifice a little for the additional features of iOS 4.2.

Seriously, though, if this were the case, why wouldn't everyone immediately say, "why, yes, you're right!"? On the contrary, you've got a bunch of people saying, "nope. Try again." Should be some indication...

23. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

When iOS 4 came out, my iPhone 3G became super sluggish, to the point of wanting to throw it against a wall on a daily basis. This wasn't just me — it was well documented by other users. Well, I should clarify — it wasn't the release of iOS 4 that slowed down my iPhone, but my installation of it. That's the question you always have to ask yourself when things go wrong (whether you're talking about a mobile device, desktop PC, whatever) — have you installed anything new that coincided with the issue? If I were wiser I might not choose to update every system with every bleeding edge software update the moment it comes out, but first wait for the unhappy user reports to roll in. Recent experiences (including Mac OS updates) are making me seriously consider being more cautious.

Things have improved with updates to iOS 4, but it still suffers from plenty of idle moments on my iPhone 3G, and yeah, it makes me just a bit unhappy at feeling left behind because I refuse to buy a phone with a faulty antenna and made almost entirely of glass. But conspiracy theory designed to get us to upgrade hardware? I suspect not. You build customer loyalty by continuing to give your customers a positive experience, and you woo them with compelling reasons to make that experience even better. I certainly hope Apple remembers this.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Perception = Reality