Are Apple iBooks Next?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Based on product cycle timelines, Apple's iBook is the next model due to be updated. Apple last updated their iBook in April 2003, equiping the consumer laptop with 900MHz G3s at the high end.

AppleInsider's recent PowerBook report, which was proven to contain accurate information, also offered a few hints at upcoming iBooks. According to that report, Apple is "readying updates" to their consumer laptops and will bring the iBook up to par with the rest of their line with USB 2.0 and Airport Extreme support.

Assuming Apple continues to use the G3 processor, the most likely candidate is the IBM 750GX processor which is targetted for production in December 2003.

The PowerPC 750GX will be offered at speeds up to 1.1GHz with 1MB of L2 Cache. This represents an upgrade from 512k L2 Cache in the current iBook processor (750FX). While there have been numerous unverified reports of Altivec-enabled G3s, few reliable reports of this have emerged.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Sounds good to me. If the PowerBooks lose their L3 cache and double the L2 cache, wand still maintain equal/better performance, strictly doubling the L2 cache on the iBook would be fantastic.

Does it bother anyone else that IBM uses 750-X naming scheme for these chips? 750FX, 750 GX and, 750 VX. The 750, 760, 770.

(end irrelevant pet peeve). :)

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Can someone explain to me the difference between the L2 cache on PowerBooks and the L2 on iBooks? It seems strange that the PowerBooks are just now brought up to the iBook level, but that the iBooks might get even more very soon.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
yes!
am i the only one who loves the iBooks?
that will be by first portable. im starting to save up already:)
I love my iBook - it's a great little workhorse. At 800 MHz it's already a great little machine. With 37% faster MHz, a larger L2 cache, some DDR RAM, and a slightly upgraded video card, the next revision of iBooks will probably be at least 50% faster than my current machine, which I'm already totally satisfied with. I fully expect my iBook to keep me happy for another couple of years, but my next purchase will probably still be whatever the latest generation iBook is at the time.

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
i love my iBook, and hope they keep bumping it. it is IMHO the single best choice for new converts to Mac. a tiny little weigh nothing laptop at that price with impressive performance (once you max the RAM) is a great entry product. but.....

altivec? on a G3? then what is the difference between it and a G4? surely that won't happen before they have a G5 powerbook, will it?

bluedalmatian

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2003
Great Britain
"am i the only one who loves the iBooks?"
No. I do too, and I hope the rumours about it being discontinued aren't true.

I've got an old blueberry iBook which a relative now uses and it works great still even though its getting on.

It will need to be replaced in the next year though cos its hard disk is too small ( I don't want to upgrade it cos its not worth it) and it doesnt have firewire so I've been eyeing up the white iBooks for a while. I didnt used to like them but I do now. In fact I used to hate the look of the original PBG4 but they look a damn siight better now, I still prefer the iBook though.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by JtheLemur
I totally hope they do a new enclosure. w00t!
Probably not for a 200MHz speed bump. Besides, I actually like the white iBooks - I think they're much more distinctive than the AluBooks. I mean, companies like Fujitsu and Sharp have metal-cased laptops. But who else has white Pyrex-encased laptops?

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
Can someone explain to me the difference between the L2 cache on PowerBooks and the L2 on iBooks? It seems strange that the PowerBooks are just now brought up to the iBook level, but that the iBooks might get even more very soon.
I'm not totally sure about it, but I think that the L2 cache runs at a higher clock speed on the G4 than it does on an iBook.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Originally posted by shen
altivec? on a G3? then what is the difference between it and a G4? surely that won't happen before they have a G5 powerbook, will it?
Good question. The difference is that one is manufactured by IBM (G3 with an AltiVec compatible vector processing unit) and one by Motorola (G4).

So, the question then becomes, which company would you rather have producing your "G4 compatible" chips?

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
the ibook line is long overdue for an update. the high end ibook models cost more then a 12in powerbook. apple would sell a ton more ibooks if they had the 12 in cd model going for $799, the 12in combo at $999, and the 14in combo at $1299. this would make much more sense for their product line.

also, i really hope they put a better keyboard on the new model.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Wait 'til iBook upgrades or buy a PowerBook now...

With the new PowerBook line, Apple needs to revise the iBook line very soon (or lower prices).

I too think iBooks are cool and a great laptop -- but right now, bang for the buck, it would be almost silly to buy an iBook (unless you don't need a CD-RW, I guess).

12.1" ibook/PowerBook Comparison (w/combo drive):

SAME (essentially)
================
12.1-inch TFT display
1024x768 resolution
512K L2 cache
40GB Ultra ATA/100 drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
Built-in 56K v.92 modem
FireWire 400

DIFFERENCES (iBook --- PowerBook)
==============================
900Mhz G3 --- 1Ghz G4
128MB SDRAM --- 256MB DDR266 SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (32MB) --- NVIDIA GeForceFXGo 5200 (32MB)
USB 1.1 --- USB 2.0
AirPort ready --- AirPort extreme ready
(No BlueTooth) --- BlueTooth
VGA, S-Video and composite video --- Mini-DVI video out
$1299 --- $1599

DEFINITELY WORTH THE $300 DIFFERENCE (imho)

Again, the iBook has a market, but right now they need updated (or, again, prices need lowered).

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
Originally posted by Steven1621
the ibook line is long overdue for an update. the high end ibook models cost more then a 12in powerbook. apple would sell a ton more ibooks if they had the 12 in cd model going for $799, the 12in combo at $999, and the 14in combo at $1299. this would make much more sense for their product line.

I agree. The iBook line is in dire need of either a major update or a price cut. The last update in April was only a 100MHz speed bump and little else. Left as they stand now, they need to drop the prices $200 across the board if there won't be any updates coming before year end. Otherwise the newly updated 12" PowerBook @ $1599 is going to eat up almost all of the iBook sales because it's a lot more system for the money.

engelb15

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
Originally posted by Steven1621

I'll tell you this, I would place my pre-order right now for a 1.1ghz 12" iBook with combo drive for $999, maybe even 2...

DominicusG

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
iBook quality?

I have an iBook from the Nov. 2001 line and it is of much high quality than the current offering.

Case in point, the palm rests on mine have a nice silver metallic look, whereas on the new ones, they are cheap looking grey plastic.

People whine and whine about price points, and to match them Apple has to start cutting corners like the one mentioned above.

How about the new power connectors? They are now all cheap white plastic. Looks lousy when plugged into a new aluminum PowerBook. My iBook has the metallic one.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
A tricky situation...

I agree the iBooks are falling behind, but Apple's going to have to be very careful with how they update it.

The 12" Powerbook is selling very well, and it's a great prosumer machine (I'm buying one of the new ones). Apple doesn't want an updated iBook cutting into to Powerbook sales.

An iBook update is on the way, but I wouldn't expect anything big until the Powerbooks are running G5s, and Apple can really explore the iBook's potential. From what we've been hearing, IBM can put together some great processors based off the G3.

Flyers486

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2002
Philadelphia Area, Jersey Side
I still think the iBooks will move to a one-screen format to differentiate from the diversified powerbook. A report surfaced quite a while back about Apple's production of 13inch wide screens in their Taiwan plant. Such claims, however, have yet to be corroberated. I do not expect to see these screens to make it into the next pre-christmas iBook update. I see a case revision upon Powerbook G5 release in Mid-March (from what I read). I really do feel that a screen and slightly modified case are necessary to the iBook line in early 2004. Hopefully, I'll see these results along with modified altivec g3 before I go to collge next year.

Good Luck Mates

GW

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by DominicusG
I have an iBook from the Nov. 2001 line and it is of much high quality than the current offering.

Case in point, the palm rests on mine have a nice silver metallic look, whereas on the new ones, they are cheap looking grey plastic.

People whine and whine about price points, and to match them Apple has to start cutting corners like the one mentioned above.

How about the new power connectors? They are now all cheap white plastic. Looks lousy when plugged into a new aluminum PowerBook. My iBook has the metallic one.
Yes, Apple has had to make some sacarfices with the iBooks in order to lower their prices, but lower prices help the iBook sell better, and that's a good thing.
The reason Apple has a seven percent share of U.S. portable market is because of the iBook and the 12" Powerbook (and the 15 and 17 inch Powerbooks, but to a lesser extent).

As for the power connectors, their actually very well designed. What they've done is just standardized them. You really appreciate that when you need to use the international plug adaptors (if you never have, it actually works very well. You simply replace the part of the adaptor that has the plugs on it with the correct plugs for whatever country you're in).

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
The G3 (from 750FX I think) has a 512KB L2 cache. The G4 (up until 7457) had a 256KB L2 cache. The G4 7457 has a 512KB L2 cache (this is the band new G4 CPU that is now used in the new PowerBooks). In both cases the L2 cache runs at the processor's speed. So the only difference was the size, of which there is now parity.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
update the iBook to 1.1Ghz and drop the 14" model... noone needs it, since it has no increase in screen resolution. it's just bulky and ugly, drop it...

I hope they keep the current 12" screen and the white case for a long long time. it is simply perfect. a 13" would not be as compact as it is right now.

I'm still tempted to get me an entry level iBook as a backup machine but I have to remind me that I don't really need a second mac laptop :)

vSpacken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.