Are Apple teasing us?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Moccasin, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I can't help thinking back to what Tim Cook said recently about increasing security around new products and wondering whether we're being fooled.

The comments were, I think, made after some parts were leaked, but even so I am sceptical that all the iPhone leaks are genuine. Maybe the comments were made in response to those earlier leaks, but continued "sources" are still saying things that don't fit with Apple's desire for secrecy. If anyone can keep a tight rein on info leaking out, Apple can.

Either they've failed to do what they wanted or else the current leaks etc are just a cunning plan to divert attention from their real plans (or are just fakes). Apple are responding to the thirst for information that they've set up an elaborate ploy to keep us and their competitors guessing.

I guess I just can't see them setting themselves up for a fall by saying that they were increasing security and then releasing a phone that matches part leaks that were public 6+ months previously.

While the part leaks could be genuine, some reports that the phone is only just starting production are rather inconsistent with them being so. Would such parts really be escaping Apple's tight security so early?

The new phone - if that's what it is - does look pretty good with the gunmetal sides and drilled holes at the bottom, but I can't help thinking - like others - that its not really the upgrade we'd expect.

After 2+ years, I'm ready for a change but if the pictures we're seeing are real, I'll probably look at a 4S unless other improvements make a compelling upgrade.

2. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

This is exactly what people said before the 4S was released... This year I am just going to wait and see what Apple announces without getting excited by an leaks... that way I dont get disappointed if Apple release minor updates.

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

My money is on the reports we've seen to be mostly true. Smaller connector, relocated headphone jack, taller form factor, metal backing, thinner screen, more RAM, LTE. Incremental improvements to an already astounding product.

If there's a big surprise, maybe they're farther along in NFC-based payments than we've heard so far. Making PassBook amazing means I want to be able to pay retailers with only my iPhone. Paying with a plastic card with a magstripe and some numbers on it? Really? In 2012? Maybe Apple aspires to do with the payment industry what it did with the music and mobile industries.

In short, I don't see revolutions in hardware: it's already pretty well optimized. The revolutions to come are about iCloud and other platform/business stuff.

4. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

I've got my cash down on Apple having some nice surprises for us all. After all nobody really had any info or parts on the Retina MacBook Pro prior to its unveiling.

5. Moccasin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I had this in mind too.

I think the other thought is that Steve Jobs was reportedly working on the device. While I appreciate that they might think the iPhone 4 couldn't be massively improved, I'm not sure that what is being touted now is something that would have taken so long to develop and have occupied him in his last days.

Anyway, time will tell!

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

To think that Apple is fabricating fakes and "passing them around" is a little overkill, IMO. As much as I hope we get more than the elongated screen in the "leaks" we have seen, I am certainly not holding my breath.

I think Siri marked a turning point for Apple. I feel they are going to start focusing on software more than hardware. We are at a point in smartphones where we can beef up the innards of the phone, but the exterior is likely going to remain largely the same. Unfortunately, for Apple to keep on with their current sales model, we will be seeing more and more exclusive software on newer hardware. That is to say, we will have to buy new phones if we want to use the newly developed software.

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Doesn't cost much in days of prototype machines. Plus gives the chance to find leaks ... And keeps the rumor mill running. But also not sure if if they really would do it this way. Possibility guessed 30%.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Sounds like what your typical android consumer deals with every two weeks...

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am not necessarily talking in terms of costs. I am talking in terms of "wtf is the point?" They haven't needed to keep the rumor mill running in the past. Why would they need to boost the rumor mill now? The point is, I just don't see a point. I would personally expect "beefed up security" to mean no cameras or other recording devices inside buildings where production occurs and all personal are checked prior to leaving the building. It may even be as simple as not allowing prototypes out of the building either (read: can't take them to the bar LOL!)

Obviously anything anyone says on a rumor site is going to be speculation. I just think Apple and their "secrecy" are being given way too much credit.

----------

Every two weeks? Wow, just a little over exaggeration here. Troll much?

And let's say it's true. Does that make the iOS situation more acceptable? The fact that the competition, in your eyes is worse, doesn't mean there aren't issues with the situation. It's like when you get caught doing something naughty as a kid, and you point at your friend. "But Timmy did it more!" Ok, great, you are right. Your actions were still unacceptable.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

not true. On these forums there was a lot of accurate information on the retina prior to the key note, the price was really the only thing up in the air. Also, where there are people there a leaks. I think we are getting what we are seeing.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I agree OP. There were so much speculation on the 4S being different; I never recalled anyone commenting it would be the same as the 4. I do, suspect, the next iPhone to be different, at least different from the leaks and different from the 4/4S.

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The iPhone has a bigger following than the MacBooks. More sources are trying to get a peek at the iPhone than the MacBook Pro.

I'm hoping these recent photos are all fakes created by Apple to direct people the wrong way. But, I have a feeling they are real which really saddens me. While I like the size of my current iPhone, it would be nice to get a slightly larger screen...and I don't mean length. Even if the screen was 1/4 of an inch wider I would be happy. These recent photos are boring to me, all they did was increase the length and moved a few buttons around. That's not a new phone, that's minor renovations :rolleyes:

Here's hoping they did something competely different and are hiding it. But, with the massive production lines Apple needs to launch products...I cannot see the iPhone being kept in the dark. It's not possible with SO many companies and workers making the iPhone.

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Apple would potentially face too much backlash if it were found to have put out a fake shell for everyone to get worked up about. I don't think this is the 'case'.

I have to say this leaked shell looks just too legitimate to be a fake or knock-off. I hope I'm wrong, but all signs point to legit.

14. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I say the elongated screen(as much as I hate it) and the smaller dock connector are shoe ins but the actual design is still up for grabs.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

People are placing way too much emphasis on what Tim Cook said about secrecy doubling. If you believed the various things Steve Jobs said as much as you do regarding Tim's statement, Steve would have you fooled many, many times over. Also, once the leaks are out (which started around the same time as his statement), anyone can pile up on the existing leaks and there's not much they can do. This means secrecy doubling would have to happen with the 7th generation iPhone.

16. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Yea I think these leaks may be to find out where they come from. I mean it could very well be the actual model but I figure Apple has gotten a little tighter on security...:apple:

17. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Everyone thought the last iPhone was going to be radically different, even though all the leaks were the 4S. My guess is what we are seeing over and over is going to be the new iPhone. And that's what I think they will call it: The New iPhone. Just like the iPad, they will abandon the numbers. But we will never know for sure until the event.

18. Demonface macrumors 6502a

i highly doubt the new iphone will look just like the 4s. Look at the previous generations :
    2G = New Design
    3G= New Design
    3GS= Minor Upgrades
    4= New Design
    4S=Same design as 4 but with better features.
    So I just have a feeling that it will continue in this pattern . But remeber all of the previous Gens were released under Steve Jobs ruling so let's just hope Tim Cook keeps up the same pattern .

19. Slivortal, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012

Slivortal macrumors 6502

As for the new iPhone, my prediction is that it won't be at all like the mockups. I also predict that Apple is in too precarious of a position to NOT make a new model, but I think that the actual form factor will be relatively unexpected.

20. Moccasin, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012

Moccasin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I think precarious is a bit strong but I do think they're in danger of losing the initiative. To my mind the leaked pictures smack of a little laziness. Yes the mock ups are different to the 4/4S but not radically so. I also think that some of the changes could be construed as tacit acknowledgement of design errors in the 4/4S (glass back and unprotected glass edges). Not sure Apple would do that - more likely to change completely.

Personally, I still have some doubts about the larger screen though it does appear more likely with all the noise coming out.

I guess both thoughts are linked to my perception that Apple have the courage to follow their instincts rather than to react to fan gossip.

21. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

I think that they aren't teasing us as much, as the fact that these probably aren't final yet.

22. juliemoon macrumors newbie

Honestly, I think the "leaks" are fake and just a marketing tactic for Apple. Like when the new iPhone 4s model was "accidentally" left in a bar and picked up by someone, I'm pretty sure the employee wouldn't be careless enough to do that.

As for the new iPhone 5 model, I guess we'll have to wait and found out if it's the real deal. I was going to wait for the new iPhone to come out in September, but I just decided to get 4s instead for the time being. It's impossible to catch up with all the new models all the time!

23. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

My thoughts:

Apple has their employees work on fake projects/products when they first start, we saw that a while back. The parts leaked could easily be one of the fake products someone worked on, and it could also have been a prototype for the iPhone 4 that was scratched.

The iPhone 4 being left in the bar was all over the internet and seemed to cause extra attention by the media (I saw an article on yahoo about it).

This rumored taller iPhone has also been shown by the likes of yahoo already. If it turns out to be some other design, it will probably generate more publicity. When the rumors surrounding the iPhone 4S were coming in, we saw the mock ups of the tapered design and cases that were produced to fit it. Apple did nothing to stop those companies from producing the wrong case because it is not their job to do so. So, I think it is likely that this could be a hoax.

However, because I do not like the taller iPhone... I know it will end up being real. Thats just my luck.

24. irDigital0l Guest

25. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

The 3GS was not a minor upgrade from the 3G. It was actually the biggest generation gap of any new iPhone model in terms of hardware/performance.