Are Apple USB keyboards rubbish, or am I just unlucky?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by typonaut, Oct 31, 2016.

1. typonaut macrumors member

Are the Apple low-profile/aluminium extended USB keyboard inherently rubbish, or am I just unlucky? I've just found the second one I've bought in under three years is malfunctioning (some keys not working, others sticking on). So they seem to last less than 18 months each before I need a new one.

This is on a Mac mini that doesn't get a lot of use (perhaps 30mins per day).

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

that seems short. do you have pets? children?

I wouldn't expect much more than two years from them in a professional setting (where they get used 9 hours a day). but that includes people eating and drinking over them. still, a $22 plasticky Windows keyboard lasts forever.

it's an Apple computer product: the best looking option out there that doesn't quite fulfill it's promises and isn't quite worth what it costs.

3. typonaut thread starter macrumors member

I have the older white and transparent USB keyboard, which must be at least five years old, and that's ok with pretty heavy usage. I don't think my aluminium keyboards are getting stuff spilled into them, they just seem to give up pretty easily. I was thinking of buying another, but getting a silicon cover to go with it (just to be sure), but all those I found were either for smaller keyboards (without the number pad) or for US-layout keyboards (the ISO-layout keyboards you get elsewhere have an extra key and the return/left shift key laid-out slightly differently).

Anyone know where to get a cover for an extended ISO keyboard (in the UK preferably)?

Can the PC keyboards be re-mapped to mac layouts, with a command key? I've been using one of these HP 'quiet' keyboard, which aren't bad, except for the silly adjustable feet on the back (they just seem to fall off):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-USB-Slimline-Quiet-Key-Keyboard-NEW-803181-031-QWERTY-UK-Layout-SK-2120-/252618969201?hash=item3ad1439071:g:-QwAAOSwMVdYG2Bw

Cheap enough at £7.00.