Are Baptist Pastors The New Catholic Priests?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Dec 4, 2010.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Sorry if this sounds like old news. Okay- so we all know about "Bishop" Eddie Long who (allegedly) coerced at least four young boys/men into homosexual sex acts.
    Four have come forward, there's no telling how many more there really are.
    All the while he was preaching the evil of homosexuality, and claimed his church delivered people from the homosexual lifestyle. He even was the leader of a what he called a "civil rights march" through Atlanta in protest of gay marriage.

Look at this video of other black baptist pastors recounting this experience of other pastors committing act of molestation and rape of teenage boys.
    It's kind of long, watch the whole thing when you get a chance but first skip to 14:08. The pastor says "Whenever someone stands behind their pulpit and bashes other people about their behavior, it's a sign that they are covering up what they themselves are doing."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMnJLm2Sg0E

So obviously this behavior is not exclusive to the Catholic church. Could there be a connection between antigay ideology or homophobia and practice of rape/molestation/coercion of underage boys?

2. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

What happened to the good old days?

When I attended church regularly the deacons and the pastors were having secret rendezvous with the young girls. A far better choice in my opinion. But that's just me.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Of course not, not exclusive at all.

But the Catholic church is all about males, so their perverts would gravitate to that type of activity.

Baptist pastors are just a varied as the rest of the population, and homosexual pedophile predators will exist there, as well as heterosexual ones.

4. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I believe there was a study that compared child molestation by priests of different religions and they were roughly the same, and schools were worse

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Where the Hell was my Letourneau when I was in school?? :mad:

I demand satisfaction, or at least full-release. ;)

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Of course it's not exclusive to the Catholic Church, but is the Baptist Church excusing or covering up pedophilia? (This case wasn't pedophilia because they were 17 and older. Age of consent in Georgia is 16.)

There does seem to be a connection with extreme homophobia and being a repressed homosexual, but not with pedophilia in particular. Remember that there is no higher proportion of pedophilia in homosexuals than heterosexuals.

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

yes see http://stopbaptistpredators.org/index.htm

technically it has mostly been sex abuse because paedophilia only refers to it involving pre-pubescent children

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

16 is hardly prepubescent.

9. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

correct, I fail to see why you needed to say this

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Because it it distinct from statutory rape.

Let us not confuse one with the other.

11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

In the first line I used it in the popular definition and in the second I used it in the medical definition. I'm not confusing them

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Aren't most Baptists down south? Maybe it's more a matter of bible belt oppression.

13. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

Whether it's rape, molestation or statutory rape, I think the essence is the same: sexually preying on young men and boys.

14. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Southern Baptists, yes. But "Southern Baptist" is a distinct breed of Baptist. Not to be confused with any of the 100 or so different sub-denominations of "Baptist". The distinctions are often slight, from a non-Baptist point of view, but a lot of folks feel it's worth fighting about. Which is, of course, silly.

As far as I'm concerned, when the various sects have their annual "homecoming" celebration, they usually invite everyone to a big potluck dinner at the church. Baptists make the best fried chicken, while the Methodists usually have the best dessert tables. AME usually has the best barbecue, and the Episcopalians have interesting vegetable dishes. I understand the Catholics have some kind of biscuit, but they won't share those.

That's about as interested in the sectarian turmoil as I can get.

15. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Those are the Southern Baptists, they split because they thought slavery was moral
    yeah

gilkisson, at Catholic potlucks there is a vast variety of food, where I live there is: Polish, Indian (mostly Goan or Mangalorean), Hispanic, Brazilian, African, French/Cajun, Italian and Irish