Are Black People the Descendants of Cain?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Merkava_4, May 23, 2011.

1. Merkava_4, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised nobody has started a thread about this issue yet. Basically, Adam and Eve had two children who were brothers; Cain and Abel. When Cain killed his brother Abel, God cursed Cain with a mark; that mark being dark skin. The Mormons believe that black people are the descendants of Cain. Up until 1978, black people were not allowed to enter the temple, nor the priesthood.

Darrick T. Evenson

Wikipedia - Curse and mark of Cain

2. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

So it was the start of all xenophobia, and we are reminded for it everyday.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It never ceases to amaze me how people can hear such nonsensical driven yet still sign their lives up to religion. It boggles the mind.

edit: on the bright side you did remind me of a great australian band of the same name that was around in the 90s.

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Is it crazy racist topic week again and nobody told me?

The answer to your question is "no" because "Cain" is a fictional character. Assuming, as those who believe it do, that this "Cain" character lived in Mesopotamia, then not only are black people not his descendants, but quite the contrary, he was theirs, as are we all.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Er... it's a fairy tale. This is like asking if all modern bears can trace their ancestry back to Winnie the Pooh.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called "a KKK meeting."

7. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Another good reason to not be religious.

How did those two brothers reproduce, btw? By ****ing Eve or by ****ing their sisters?

8. Andeavor macrumors 6502

The creepy thing here is not the fact there are thousands of people who believe this crap, it's the fact I watched a couple of videos of some confirming their belief in that not two days ago...

You'd have to be on drugs and have extreem low self-esteem to believe anything religion throws at you.

9. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cain got a wife from somewhere. :shrugs:

10. eawmp1, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Never underestimate the power of inbreeding to create idiots.

OP:
    1) Cain and Abel are a fictional fairy tale
    2) There are racists (and homophobes, and misogynists, Francophobes, etc.)
    3) Many people who hate use the Bible to justify their hate

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

So Cain married his mum or sister?! Creepy!

I'm confused as if the human race was from just two people, where do all the different traits come from? I know current research shows humanity went through a thin bottleneck, but two people is too small a number to account for the genetic diversity of modern people. On top of that, 6000 years isn't really enough for it to have expanded from the original genetic material inherited from Adam and Eve.

On top of that even, as a whole object designed at one time the human body is rubbish. There are so many things that should have been done differently if life had been made not evolved. This is on of my issues with intelligent design, anyone designing us would have to be pretty stupid.

Methinks God needs to go back to school to brush up on his science.

12. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apparently, from what little research I've done tonight, the old testament says in Genesis Chapter 4, that Cain was cursed with a mark after killing his brother; and it says that in all the Christian bibles, but why did the Mormons take it upon themselves to interpret that mark as being a dark skin that gets passed on from one generation to the next? And another thing: I never could find the whole reason for Cain killing his brother anyway. :confused:

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It's not that easy even on a planet with over three billion potential candidates.

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

It was a birthmark of Donald Trump.

15. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just now found that in the Moses chapter. :shrugs:

16. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well that certainly clears things up. Makes total sense.

Still doesn't understand why God is so rubbish at making people. As I said, as a piece of engineering designed at once the human body isn't great.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Are you suggesting that the "minions" are at work again, about Herman Cain? ;)

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Have you got to the bit yet where god wants to kill moses? I don't want to give too much away but the resolution is a cracker of insanity including a rock, a small child's penis, his wife, and bloody moses feet.

19. codymac macrumors 6502

Nesflash: Mormons also believe in magical underwear.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I believe that certain underwear can be magical. ;)

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The writer of the historical background in the OP's link claims that Mormons now deny the "Negro" Doctrines. Mormons aged 40 and under haven't heard of them. The Mormon Church does have a history of trying to cover up particular past beliefs. They also deny that early leaders including Joseph Smith practiced polygamy.

22. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Stop treating the bible as a historical document. Please.

23. dime21 macrumors 6502

:rolleyes: On what planet are personal accounts of real people written 2000 years ago are not considered a historical document?

But yes this thread is ridiculous.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You are asserting this nonsense as your own. There is nothing in the bible which describes the "mark of Cain" as black skin. The whole idea of people who had no concept of racial distinction being tangled up in racist propaganda is ridiculous.

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Why is this thread ridiculous? The fact is that the Mormon Church had this Doctrine. Just because most of us don't agree with it doesn't mean that it isn't part of religious history.