Are Carphone Warehouse ok to deal with now O2 took over?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by julianna1973, Jun 13, 2009.

1. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I have went ahead & placed my pre order for the iPhone 3GS as it was turning into a nightmare to get straight information from O2 & I didnt want to get to Friday & something go wrong.

Im not entirely sure about Carphone Warehouse's customer service standard etc but what i want to know is, if im with Carphone on the iPhone etc, can i phone O2 same as i do now on my current iPhone contract? or do i have to deal with carphone.

Whenever i have had a contract phone its always been direct with the network so im clueless as to what is different, im hoping the only difference is the fact im buying it from them!!

2. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

CPW is just a retail outlet for phones, so once you have purchased from there, any contract and phone queries will be with O2... Also, I dont think you can upgrade at CPW,, so you will be purchasing a new contract...

3. stuartteach macrumors member

Ive cut and paste this my other thread......

Been into my two 02 stores today and also spoke to carphone warehouse....

In BOTH the 02 stores they have said exactly the same as the OP, overstocking, although not expecting huge demand as, and I quote 'The 3Gs is practically the same as the 3G and most people are stuck in contracts'

I then enquired about upgrades as I have two months left from my iphone 2g phone left.... the bloke said that as it was an upgrade and they cannot take the money in-store for the remainder of the contract they I would have to ring up 02 on Friday and have it delievered to my house.... when asked when it would be delivered they said probably tuesday...

OK...

so I went next door to carphone warehouse and spoke to the guy in there and he said that if I come in on Fridat at 9 he could upgrade me onto my new contract and I would walk away that day with the new phone...again he said he wasnt expecting a high demand and also mentioned that he would be in the store from around 8.30 if I wanted to come down a bit early to fill in the forms etc?! - top bloke!

Can't fault carphone warehouses service, they seemed to know much more than the 02 store.... so thats where I will be at 8.30 Friday morning...

has anyone enquired about completing an upgrade instore at 02....surley they over carphone warhouse would be able to do it?!?! odd

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

Went into Bath Spa's main CPW store today and they said that 3GS wasn't coming out on PnG on friday

O2 store (they're generally quite genuine about what they know and don't) said they're getting stock of all models for all tariffs inc PnG and are opening at 9:02am

5. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Yeah O2 are terrible.

Does anyone know if i can go to CW to get my PAYG handset then ring up o2 wen i get home and take out there insurance?

6. stuartteach macrumors member

Id assume you could....its still a o2 product....

7. julianna1973 thread starter macrumors 6502

julianna1973

See thats MY problem. My current iPhone contract ends Jan 2010 so at first i was told the same as everyone else, pay to end the contract, pac your number & take out a whole new contract. THEN i was told, yes i could "upgrade" as long as i still paid what i would have done to end the contract & then my contract would just continue, no pac ing number hassle.
    BUT since i wanted the phone on friday & not just order it on the phone from O2, i went into the store & after a lot of hassle, i was told by the store that it couldnt work like that,i couldnt get it from the store as they run different systems so i would need a new contract but then they told me i couldnt pac from one O2 contract to another, only carphone warehouse can do that!!
    So Voila, im going back to plan A & im starting a new contract, at least this way it will give me some time to work for the £200 odd pound i need to pay to end my contract, i was told it would take around 14 days to finalise!

8. stuartteach macrumors member

we all seem to be in the same situation....if your looking to generate a bit of cash im using fonebank....theyre giving me 125 quid for my old iphone 2g and I have three other old mobiles lying around....grand total of 200 quid!

so if Friday comes and CFW cant upgrade me for whatever reason im going to start a new contract....ring o2 and cancell the current one....using the money from fonebank to pay it off....

if only things were simple eh!

9. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Why don't you just buy a Pay & Go and swap over the SIM cards? You then just continue your contract on your new phone, and you can sell the old one. There's no need to pay off your contract, nor to start a new one.

10. LondonDude89 macrumors newbie

CPW can take pre-orders for new contracts but not upgrades or pay as you go.

We don't know if PAYG is going to be available at launch but we generally have the same as O2 are selling as far as iPhone is concerned.

Can do new contracts and upgrades on the 19th, just PAYG we're unsure about because that's how it was last time