Are 'Chastity Rings' integral to the Christian religion?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Jun 22, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6229098.stm

I heard this story on the news this morning.

A legitimate claim or a waste of court time. What do you think?

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Utter waste of the courts time, I've never heard anything so pathetic. The "chastity ring" is nothing more than a gimmick.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I totally agree ... a waste of time :mad:

4. Queso macrumors G4

I saw this on BBC Breakfast this morning and have to say what an incredible waste of everybody's time.

Why should the school cater to some nonsense fad? I also wondered what the link between this girl's parents and makers of this ring is. Seems like they're getting a lot of free advertising for their product doesn't it?

Chastity bloody ring. Just another crappy attempt to make money out of the gullible. And to claim this infringes their human rights by attacking the Christian faith? I hope the judge locks her and her father up for contempt of court.

EDIT : Someone here just said all she needs is a damn good shag :D

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

first i thought "purity rings .. what is that.. i never have heard about that"

then on wikipedia it's a custom which came up in the US in the 90ties

if it were a necklace with a cross attached i'would be fine with saying " attacking christian symbols" since that has been known a little bit longer than the 90ties

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Miss Playfoot's school said her ring broke uniform rules and ordered her to remove it.

When she refused, she was taken out of lessons and made to study on her own.

If she’s studying alone then she won’t come into contact with any boys who might corrupt her. Everyone’s a winner, then. :cool:

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

LOL. I've got to say total rubbish and waste of time. I love how everyone uses religion as an excuse now a days to try to get what they want:rolleyes:

8. Queso macrumors G4

That and the Human Rights Act. I'm waiting for the first case where a child takes his parents to court for being sent to bed early :rolleyes:

9. bartelby macrumors Core

chastity rings?

Are they like very small cock rings that stop you having sex?

10. Queso macrumors G4

Yep, only worn on the wedding ring finger rather than anywhere it would be useful. Just Christian Shopping Channel crap our local godbotherers have imported from the US.

11. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

"Chastity rings" are by far one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of, but I don't see what the big deal is with her wearing it. It's just a little ring, it's not like it's going to distract anyone from their schoolwork.

The real concern here should be the serious issues of any father who thinks "chastity rings" are a good idea.

12. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I guess the problem is that it broke the uniform code, therefore wasn't allowed. If you give leeway to the girl with a chastity ring, then you have to let all the other kids flaunt it too. I don't know about the US, but most schools in the UK have a full on uniform for the kids (I had to wear shift, school tie, blazer etc)

13. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Ohhh on the finger. I thought it was a piercing down below on her, uh, wah wah ... you know. Of course that's going to distract her classmates. I also couldn't figure out what kind of "uniform" they were wearing as well. It's all coming together now.

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I guess the question is "what is integral?"

The article doesn't explain which sikhs and muslims are wearing the bangles. I suppose if females and male muslims are wearing the bangles, or male sikhs are wearing more than one, she may have an argument.

The headscarves seem more akin the necklaces that others are mentioning - something that appears not to be essential, but is among some adherants. Unless they are counting turbans as headscarves...

The defense of the ring may be an experssion of her feeling "persecuted" - let's face it, Christians do get a fair bit of flack for the acts of others who claim to be the same. Doesn't make her arguement less nonsensical, just easier to see why she's making it.

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it's so integral that i would bet most people of christian extraction, of whichever variation, never heard about them.
    it's a ring. if jewelry isn't allowed (which in itself looks like a pretty dumb rule, but that's another story), than it should be treated as anything else.
    Of course that should hold for anything that is not part of the 'approved uniform', including bangles and headscarves.

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

There's no doubt she's feeling like she's being treated unfairly (who as a teenager never said "life's not fair"), and that her argument is "less nonsensical".

But I think the argument is lacking -- and it's lacking a whole bunch. The "chastity" ring, as far as I know is not mentioned in any Christian belief, and became a "fad" in the US (not sure what to call it) less than 20 years ago. (That's my personal experience, not sure if there's something I don't know about it--a girl had one in 8th grade but that's a whole other story)

All the Islam stuff, although not always 100% religiously related and backed up, is more a cultural tradition dating back more than 2000 years.

20 years has a long way to go to become 2000.

17. pengu macrumors 6502a

i concur. Religion is a complete waste of time.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

A chastity ring isn't integral to the christian religion or any religion. If she was wearing a cross around her neck then maybe we'd have a case. I'm surpised that school let it go this far or why it was even an issue. Wearing a ring has never violated any uniform law I was aware of unless its in the millitary. Just let her wear it. Gawd. I'm sure if a chastity ring broke the uniform rules a headscarf would most certainly break the rules. So what would that school say to a muslim student.. "take off the scarf or face expulsion, young lady!" :(

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

My sick mentality about rings of this nature:

Daddy wants to have sex with his daughter.

Daddy can not have sex with his daughter. God would frown.

Daddy makes sure no man can ever have his daughter if he can't.

Daddy is crazy and uses God as his reasoning.

I dont know, but from the outside, this seems actually quite possible for the reasoning behind it.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This is one of a number of cases from around the world by people struggling with the fact that Christianity is a dead duck in most of the countries who once adhered to it,get over it move on the fantasy is dead.I look forward to the liberation of the other peoples pinned back by the other 57 varieties of religion.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You're right that is sick, but there may be some truth in it, but only for those fathers who actually go through the whole chastity ring/pledge garbage.

I have two very young daughters. As a father I'd prefer they never have sex at all. You want to preserve their innocence. But, I do realize that they will probably both have had sex multiple times by the time they graduate HS. My wife and I will have "the talk" with them. We'll encourage them not to be pressured into sex and that they know the risks involved. But I doubt I'm going to try to make them pledge that they won't have sex, since in doing so you only make the act more forbidden and tempting...

I know it's been brought up in other threads, but haven't surveys shown that the kids who make these pledges are the ones who are most likely to do it earlier? Seems really counter productive...

Back to the topic at hand:

Head scarves, Yarmulkas and other religious type garb are required by many strict orthodox followers of a religion and have centuries of tradition behind them (you might as well force the Amish to wear zippers). The chastity ring is a recent fad perpetuated by overprotective parents in an effort to curb their children's natural behavioral instincts in an effort to avoid becoming too involved or paying attention to what the kids are doing. It strikes me as "I want to live in a fantasy so please pledge not to do this so I don't have to pay attention to warning signs or get too involved with your life."

If she had been asked to wash her face because of a smudge on her forehead on Ash Wednesday, or asked to take off a crucifix necklace she might have a case, but there is no long standing tradition of chastity rings in the Christian faith and most people I know would probably scoff at the concept.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Do you want to hear the best bit? She finished her GCSEs last week so no longer attends the school!! :D

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

So, I wonder if this policy applies to the staff and faculty too. Do they have to take off their wedding rings before entering the building?

24. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

A fitting conclusion - what an utter waste of everyone's time.

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

are wedding rings virtually unknown in 90%+ of all christianity ?