Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidiot62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
SF Bay Area
I'm looking for a car charger/dock for my new 5s, but the only ones I can find are brand-less generic ones from China. Besides the fact that iOS 7 may reject it, are they safe or do they do damage to the phone battery?

This is what I'm looking for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200958831128
If anyone knows of a more legitimate one, please let me know. Thanks!

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I'm looking for a car charger/dock for my new 5s, but the only ones I can find are brand-less generic ones from China. Besides the fact that iOS 7 may reject it, are they safe or do they do damage to the phone battery?

This is what I'm looking for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200958831128
If anyone knows of a more legitimate one, please let me know. Thanks!

considering there was a news story of an iPhone exploding or setting on fire because of a cheap unapproved charger, i wouldn't recommend it

Makaveliarts

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Like 4 years ago, my friends crappy cell phone made a weird noise and let out some black & grey smoke when he started his engine once. Buy one that isn't a knock-off and you should be fine.

Most of these car chargers were made in China, either way. Some are just cheaper than others.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
If I just bought a $650+ device then I wouldn't rely on some off the wall generic charger with it.

Then again though, everything already comes from China :p

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
don't cheap out on chargers. cheaping out on cables is ok (though difficult now).

take a look at Monoprice.com for cheap and decent quality.

Ruckus12

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
I bought an amazon basics lightening cable and it works fine without any error messages, they're a little cheaper than oem apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.