Are claims of a 7.6mm thick iPhone 5 valid

illpod.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Nottingham UK
I have been doing a bit on analysis on claims that the iPhone 5 will be 7.6mm thick, if the images we have seen so far are real then i think it's likely. i'd love to hear your thoughts.

I've attached the main image but also linked to the full article on our website if you interested.

http://illpod.com/index.php/news/?p=50

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah sounds right. That's very impressively thin, most smartphones can't achieve that thinness without adding some unsightly hump.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
After seeing the picture at the bottom of my post, I think it's definitely possible.

This is the pic I'm referring to, it was leaked this morning:

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
Good, i hope it is actually wider than the iphone 4s. If not, looking to a longer screen than 4s but has the same width would look weird, skinny....

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I'm not neccessarily looking for thinner. Thinner is a waste, IMO. 4S is thin enough. But with that being said, I'm thinking this next iPhone is going to be the most beautiful yet. Can't wait.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Good, i hope it is actually wider than the iphone 4s. If not, looking to a longer screen than 4s but has the same width would look weird, skinny....
From comparison pictures that have been leaked of the iPhone 4S on top of the iPhone 5, the 5 seems to be a bit wider, albeit slightly. Apple will make it feel wider using their magic fairy dust. ;)

illpod.com

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Nottingham UK
From comparison pictures that have been leaked of the iPhone 4S on top of the iPhone 5, the 5 seems to be a bit wider, albeit slightly. Apple will make it feel wider using their magic fairy dust. ;)
if the screen goes right to the edge or closer to the edge then it will feel wider even if the device itself is the same width. however i think it looks slightly wider in the images which have been doing the rounds.

Last edited:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Its not. Photo shown above is not properly aligned as had been reported a number of weeks ago. Its about the same width if not the same. All the shown rumored parts show it to be the same.

Attachments

Last edited:

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Apple's focus seems to be on reducing the components needed in the display in in cell technology allowing for them to shave off those mm. However the race to having the thinnest phone seems stupid since they will be tough to hold at times. The S3 is pretty friggin thin already and the rumored specs for the iP5 make it thinner.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm going with...

Ip5 unibody with screen protruding

Ip6 unibody with recessed screen (in cell tech in place)