Are claims of a 7.6mm thick iPhone 5 valid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illpod.com, Aug 31, 2012.

1. illpod.com macrumors newbie

I have been doing a bit on analysis on claims that the iPhone 5 will be 7.6mm thick, if the images we have seen so far are real then i think it's likely. i'd love to hear your thoughts.

I've attached the main image but also linked to the full article on our website if you interested.

[​IMG]

http://illpod.com/index.php/news/?p=50

2. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Yeah sounds right. That's very impressively thin, most smartphones can't achieve that thinness without adding some unsightly hump.

3. SR71 macrumors 68000

After seeing the picture at the bottom of my post, I think it's definitely possible.

This is the pic I'm referring to, it was leaked this morning: [​IMG]

4. iAlphard macrumors regular

Good, i hope it is actually wider than the iphone 4s. If not, looking to a longer screen than 4s but has the same width would look weird, skinny....

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'm not neccessarily looking for thinner. Thinner is a waste, IMO. 4S is thin enough. But with that being said, I'm thinking this next iPhone is going to be the most beautiful yet. Can't wait.

6. SR71 macrumors 68000

From comparison pictures that have been leaked of the iPhone 4S on top of the iPhone 5, the 5 seems to be a bit wider, albeit slightly. Apple will make it feel wider using their magic fairy dust. ;)

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Speculation and rumour are certainly reaching fever pitch !

Im keeping an open mind.

8. illpod.com, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

illpod.com thread starter macrumors newbie

if the screen goes right to the edge or closer to the edge then it will feel wider even if the device itself is the same width. however i think it looks slightly wider in the images which have been doing the rounds.

9. SR45, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Its not. Photo shown above is not properly aligned as had been reported a number of weeks ago. Its about the same width if not the same. All the shown rumored parts show it to be the same.

Attached Files:

10. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

Apple's focus seems to be on reducing the components needed in the display in in cell technology allowing for them to shave off those mm. However the race to having the thinnest phone seems stupid since they will be tough to hold at times. The S3 is pretty friggin thin already and the rumored specs for the iP5 make it thinner.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'm going with...

Ip5 unibody with screen protruding

Ip6 unibody with recessed screen (in cell tech in place)