Are European iPods (and the iPod Touch) still volume Limited?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jetman, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Jetman macrumors member

Hi all, I'm in the UK and was wondering if the above is true and Euro iPods are still volume limited due to stupid EU regulations.

To be on the safe side I'd ordered a Touch from a source in the States, but all this discussion of dodgy screens has me worried I'm going to be stuck with a bad screen and the bill to subsequently return it to the States for replacement (and pay import tax again for replacement).

So - shall I cancel my order and get a UK model after all? Cancel and wait until these issues are sorted? Or just go and have a sit down and a nice cup of tea?

Your views and opinions would be much appreciated...

2. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Only partially related but.... This morning in the commuter-train some idiot was listening to his mp3-player so loud that I could hear his music (though his earphones) through my headphones, while I was listening to my music! Not only was it annoying as hell, but he will probably ruin his hearing pretty quickly with those sound-volumes.

And to answer the question: IIRC you can bypass the volume-limit quite easily?

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

The volume limit is an on/off switch in the settings. By default it's off..

4. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Yep I bought a Shuffle recently and it can go VERY loud, unlike my old 3rd Gen iPod.

5. swanseastu macrumors member

swanseastu

I have a UK bought touch and i have the volume limit off - however, I would say its not as loud as my previous ipods through my Bose Quiet Comfort 2's or Shure E2c's. On full volume, its not over the top and I think could be louder.

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Why don't you put a SPL meter up to those Shure E2Cs at full volume and take a measurement. Mine would go to close to 100dBm at full volume from a 5G iPod.

That's more than enough to cause permanent hearing damage with very short exposure times.

My sister is 18 years old and already has tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears) from listening to her iPod too loud over the last couple of years.

I have advanced tinnitus and some hearing loss in my left ear from loud concerts, loud headphones, motorcycle riding, etc.

Take good care of your ears guy, you only get one pair. While medical science has made amazing advances in the treatment of eye problems, heart, lungs, even BRAIN, there's virtually no treatment for hearing degeneration problems other than crappy hearing aids and noise filters.

7. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1710; en; U; ssr))

I think you should have some tea, and a crumpet!

8. Jetman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all

Thanks BikeMike for the crumpet suggestion, actually I went for some (English) muffins with butter and blackberry jelly with my cuppa. Ace.

*Then* I cancelled the US order, and am just going to get a UK model. If I still have issues I'll just get some in-ear headphones. The main issue for me is trying to listen on the London underground, audio books being a particular challenge, with the train's clatter clatter as I am bounced around and hurled into strangers armpits.

Kingston Apple Store reports more coming in on Sat or Monday, which is more info than the stonewalling misery-guts at Apple Regent street gave me.

"28 September"

"But you might get some more in before, right?"

"28 September is the release date"

"But..."

"They will be released on the 28th of September"

etc

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

If you are in a noisy environment as you describe then you should consider getting noise cancelling headphones or some high quality isolating headphones like the better ones from Shure.

You will then get good audio levels without having to crank the device up to "gonna be deaf in a year" volumes.