Are G5 Dual 2,7 and others with liquid cooling still reliable?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mac Hammer Fan, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502

Mac Hammer Fan

I have read there are some users who suffered from leaks in the liquid cooling system. Does this affect many G5 users with such a Mac or is it only occasional?
    I have bought a second hand G5 2x2,7 but I didn't know it had liquid cooling.
    It came with 4 GB RAM and an nVidia 6600 graphics card and the price was 800 $ which looked cheap.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Yes, the dual 2.7 has liquid cooling. And it seems pretty rare, through failures do occur.

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Many people here will say that the LCS G5s are completly unreliable. I beg to differ. Mine still works, and it was secondhand to begin with.

Can't recommend it since I haven't done it yet, but replacing the hazardous coolent with silicone oil is a good idea; non-conductive, similar heat capacity and viscosity (as far as I know).

4. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

ALL of them will eventually fail, its only a matter of time.

5. aibo macrumors 6502

They all seem to be failing, and Apple seems unable to source the necessary parts for repair. 82 pages of reports on xlr8yourmac so far.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Well then ALL computers in general will fail; liquid, air or nitrogen cooled. It's only a matter of time. If you want to put it that way ;).

But the silicone oil is a good idea if you want peace of mind.