Are iPhones from GameStop unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Nov 2, 2012.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

GameStop has a great iPhone buying program, the iPhone 3G for AT&T is just $119, are these unlocked? I want to use them as secondary iPods/phones or sell them to more money

2. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Nope. They're most likely locked. I know some guys from GameStop and they let me look at a couple of them, don't even bother trying to look for a bargain. The cheap ones are the ones that have been beat to death, and will look like total crap. You'll hardly get any resale value out of those.

Also, I noticed that by the name they alll had either "AT&T" or "Verizon" on some of them, implying that they were carrier locked.

3. solo118 macrumors 65816

I believe some are labeled as unlocked. I would not think they are unlocked because they are simply bought from a regular user and cleaned up a bit. The standard iphone user most likely did not unlock their iphone.

4. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Wow that's dumb they aren't unlocked. I didn't plan on using them as a phone anyway but do I have to activate it on AT&T to even get to use it? You'd think a 4 year old phone would have lost it's contract anyway. I think AT&T gets some money from them selling the phone and GameStop gets the rest

5. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Just order an IMEI unlock on eBay.

like through unlock_fusion for $4.