Are MacBooks at Starbucks a fashion statement?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rmoliv, Oct 7, 2018.

1. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, as I don't recall seeing people showing off any other laptop brand there. I also have trouble grasping what's the point of being sit at a noisy coffeeshop, occupying a table for hours, when one could do the same at home or in a library.

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

3. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Seriously, this.

Some people prefer and use MacBooks and and like going to SBUX.

OP is thinking too much into it.

4. jerwin, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018

jerwin macrumors 68020

coffee. The library doesn't serve it, and the economics of just getting a Jura hasn't set in

5. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

What makes you think they are showing off? Resentment?

Using a laptop in a public place doesn't mean you're "showing off".

6. rmoliv thread starter macrumors 6502a

What resentment? Because a cofeeshop is the last place I would take my MacBook to if I wanted to work or even just have fun on my computer. It’s noisy, dirty. I think people are showing off their Apple laptops because it’s trendy and they want to look hip.

7. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Well gee, I hope no one thinks I’m showing them up when I bring my rMacBook to the campus library where I notice 99% of them are using Air’s or a PC laptop.

Oh wait, nobody notices.

8. rmoliv, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018

rmoliv thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was referring to Starbucks specifically. Someone on their MacBook at Starbucks is like a fashion statement because there are more appropriate places to take your laptop to. At Starbucks it’s more like a fashion accessory. That’s how I view it.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

There are times when I need to have offsite meetings. Since there is a Starbucks close, I have met there. I usually use an iPad Pro or a MacBook Pro. Like the OP, I have noticed the most of the customers in Starbucks in one area that I visit use Macs but in another area that I visit, I see a lot of Samsung tablets and Windows computers. I think it could depend upon the area.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Not everyone is the same. There are a wide range of personality types. Look at Myers Briggs for the major types.

Some people do best in a quiet environment to zero in on a task and work. I know when I was at uni I'd stay in the library until all my work was done, in a secluded and very quiet corner. Other people can't handle that environment. They need a social environment. People all around them, talking, making noise and milling about in order to focus. It invigorates them. At my college they'd do their assignments in the student lounge, where all the activity was, often in groups. Starbucks provides such a lively environment and welcomes people to stick around. Although considerably quieter than that student lounge.

Some of the people may be in from out of town on business. Sure it may not be the best place to work. At least they have time to sit down and look over and modify whatever they are working on. In an environment they will be somewhat familiar with and know they'll have an acceptable internet connection with minimal fuss.

More likely the type of people who thrive in such an environment and can afford to sip on $5 coffees all day. Are more likely to buy high end laptops and Apple dominates the coveted $1000+ market.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The assumption that people are "showing off" by using a widely-available laptop is odd. It's like saying that someone driving a Honda is showing off.

It is a fashion accessory? Well, that seems to misunderstand the meaning of "fashion accessory." Even an Apple watch is more than a shiny bauble, and a laptop is a required piece of technology for most professionals.

Maybe 15 years ago, this would have been a more likely point as Apple's Powerbooks were rare and relatively expensive, but Apple's been picking up market-share for years.

As for going to Starbucks, what kind of busybody worries about what people are doing when they get their latte? Maybe they're out of the office for meetings, traveling for work, or otherwise need to be somewhere beside home or their office.

Again the assumption that a professional using a professional-grade tool in a public place—there's a joke here—is "showing off" really says more about the OP's own preconceived ideas than anything else.

12. jerwin macrumors 68020

So, is your laptop too heavy to use at Starbucks? Does the RGB lighting make you secretly ashamed of your style choices? Is the battery life so abysmally poor that work on the go seems like a pipedream? (or are you afraid of getting crumbs in your butterfly keyboard?)

13. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Considering this has been a thing for over 10 years now, I don't think you can refer to it as either trendy or hip.

The reason why it is common and has endured is that it is considered acceptable to hang out at coffee shops, and Starbucks has free wi-fi exactly for this purpose. It's very appropriate.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Meh, so what. Fashion statement, work machine, gaming platform, whatever. I don't like them because they still thermal throttle.

15. KGB7, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018

KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Wrong forum. This has nothing to do with politics or religion.

No one cares.

Panera Bread has better WiFi. X2 the speed.

I can torrent with out consequences.

Stop being judgemental and get your self a gf or a hobby.

Mind your own beeswax.

Productivity increases, when you are working remotely outside of your home.

You can get discounts on coffee using an app.

You have wasted combined hours, by people replying to you.

Why do you care?

But why?

So what?

How will your life will be fulfilled for the next 40 years?

Why do people chose to hold job interviews at coffe shops?

Why do people go on a first date at coffee shops?

Why is pork healthier then chicken?

Stay tune, Cookie Monster, doesn’t like cranberries in his cookies and how it will affect your vaccination.

All Dell laptop users, are found at local libraries. Has ISIS infiltrated Dell? Is Moby Dick safe for your children? Stay tune for local report at 4pm, right after local traffic report.

A/S/L?

16. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

17. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

Very true. And a library might be the wrong place to boot.

Can't locate the link now, but, there was a recent study that some folks need the equivalent of white noise to retain information. At a library, it's pretty much quiet, but as soon as someone sneezes, coughs, rustles their papers, etc., the sound becomes a major distraction. Whereas a public place like a coffee shop has a constant din of the foamer, music on the audio system, people talking. Mighty be noisy, but it's a constant/consistent noise. Aka white noisey.

And for the record, my local non chain coffee shop is about 50/50 split of Apple and non. Ditto my cigar shop. And the local sports bar. Amd the gym. And...

18. jerwin, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018

jerwin macrumors 68020

Art galleries are particularly vulnerable to this sort of thing. This is why I hate children.The comforting silence is so very fragile and thus transitory.