Are Macbooks good for University students in Business?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Starbuck101, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Starbuck101 macrumors newbie

I'm 18 years old, starting first year university in September. I'm going into business, and will be taking courses such as Statistics, Economics, Math, a Computer Science course, and a course on Business & Environment.

I'm thinking I'll be using Microsoft Office (already installed), and maybe iWork.

I purchased my Macbook about 2-3 years ago, and I'm wondering if Macs are good for business, or should I switch to a PC laptop.

Any suggestions?

2. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

A mac would do fine in buisness, you could use a program like excel. If not, use bootcamp or a virtualizer like VMWARE fusion.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Find out what programs you'll need to run. If it's Windows-only software over and over, save your money and buy a Windows machine. "Macs run Windows" ... at three times the price.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Your computer will serve you just fine for business. No real need for a new one, mac or pc work about the same for that kind of major.

@miles, note that he already has a mac

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Due to the penultimate line I assumed he was considering a new machine. But if not, the current one will probably be fine.

6. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

...and will probably change majors 3-5 times like most. Just stick with what you've got.

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I used Macs for my business and engineering studies. I used Windows via Boot Camp and the PCs in the computer labs for a few things, but my Macs served me well for my time in college.

8. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

My college gives students MBP's for graphic arts students and Windows 7 laptops for business. My wife is in business, and needless to say she wishes she had the MBP. Countless updates, Office even stopped working once after an update and we had to use the repair tool, and other issues really still put a sour taste in my mouth about Windows. I used it for over a decade, and I for one am glad I made the switch.

For business, you can use pretty much every software you need in OSX that you can get in Windows. If you can't then there is bootcamp or virtual machine. Get a mac, and don't look back.

It's a lot less of a headache. And then you will be yearning for those software updates and not fearing them messing your workflow up!

9. redshift1 macrumors regular

My daughter is in her last semester at UCSB, She has used the same MBP for three years without any major problems through a variety of classes, we have MS Office for Mac. According to her the workhorse program for school is Word.

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Get a PC, every time you need an excuse for anything, you can blame it on Windows/Printer/Network/Solar flares/What ever. That's how they do in business. Someone bought something from you, the price went up and you can't sell it anymore? "I was going to tell you, but my Internet connection didn't work." Late on some paper? "The Printer didn't work, I had to reinstall Windows in order to get it up and running again." Pick one…

Macs are only for serious work.