Are Millennials More Conservative ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

This CNN article states that millennials are more conservative then the previous two generations. Do you think they are correct ?

2. dingster1 macrumors regular

They are more conservative out of necessity. They are BROKE!

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What to you consider conservative, since most of them are in favor of gay marriage and transgender rights I would say no.

4. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

No way. They are socially radical. Every one of them has embraced LGBTBBQ in one way or another.

Oh…. and try finding a single Millenial that still goes to church (except for the few 19-year-olds that are still being physically dragged to church on Sundays by Mom and Dad, they don't count).

5. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Haven't read the article but tend to agree (within boundaries that such broad observations bring with them).

Of course the term and meaning of being conservative is a dynamic one (the irony) but yes, I do think the lates gen tend to be more mainstream in general, which is a sign for conservatism in my opinion, tends to focus on good education and finally secure jobs, I believe I also read some time ago that marriages / partners "are chosen" more and more within their own socially comparable groups - leading to a growing segregation in the process as well.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It's a BS article. Millennial are not conservative at all.

7. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Yeah. Overwhelming Millenial support was the main reason Bernie was catapulted to near-candidacy. If not for them, Bernie would have been a political unknown, in the same way that the average American is unable to remember the names of the Libertarian and Green Party candidates.

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

You should head out to the west. Your charichature of millenials falls on its face quickly. Even here in New England, my church has a young adult congregation that meets immediately after mine. It's full to capacity every week with 18-25 year-old's who come on their own volition. Most are students at the local universities, and live alone without mom or dad telling them to get to church on Sunday.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm not sure, it's never come up at our annual millennial swingers bondage party. ;)

10. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Someone in here just the other day tried to claim the GOP is center left. So I suppose it depends on point of view. The mid 40 crowd that grew up under Reagan are conservative. Millennials, not so much, but maybe that will change when they find out they have to work for a living. I'd say more libertarian than anything, not that it's a bad thing. I'm pretty much done with social issues driving everything.

--- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    I think that's regional. Around here I don't know if millennials know what a church looks like.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Why would anyone go to church? There are better things to do than psychotic prayers to an invisible fairy in the sky.

Most millenials I know (which is most of my friends) are socially fairly liberal yet fiscally conservative.

Too bad there's no party that represents us.

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

That's the Libertarian Party, but that dude just imploded.

13. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

There is no way that Millennials are more conservative than Baby Boomers. All evidence suggests otherwise.

Millennials and Gen-X are the reasons why the Christian church is dying (I will leave out child rape for the time being).

Millennials and Gen-X are the reason why marriage equality is law of the land, why Bernard Sanders was able to do so well.

Baby Boomers are why the Tea Party existed. They are the reason why we have been at war for more going on 15 years. They are the reason why Donald Trump is the Republican nominee.

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

There is a larger world outside your circle of friends.

15. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Most of the data this article relies on is self-identifcation, which is notoriously inaccurate. Because a person identifies as conservative, liberal, Leftist, to the Right of something, it doesn't mean they actually are in objective terms. Most people in the U.S. don't even fully understand what those words mean.

16. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Thank god. :)

17. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I see what you did there.
    Aleppo? What's Aleppo?

18. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

It's why a third party never really rises up. They eventually do or say something stupid. Ross Perot nearly got there, then he picked a VP candidate that was around for the Revolutionary War and started talking about chicken feathers.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Anecdotal, but most of my friends are liberal. I have a few fiscally conservative friends, but they are all socially liberally

We don't hate or discriminate people.

20. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Curious to which side they typically vote.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I know let's move the "conservative" bar further to the left and then say that a group of people are more conservative than previous generations.

22. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

That's generational comparison. How about cultural conservative comparisons?

How about "Are you more conservative than a Sharia Islamist?"

They're following laws and traditions from over 1000 years ago.

23. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

That's a bit broad a generalization that treats everyone as lemmings or other herd animals. Contrary to what the likes of Reagan was trying to teach, ironically and amusingly... :D

But if job opportunities are seemingly fewer in a number of cases, will it matter which special snowflakes are Libertarian* or not?

* not the same as "libertarian", pointing out various and inconvenient realities would only upset those special snowflakes
    Agreed, how far back does "conservatism" go before it ceases technical relevance? Do they co-opt other ideas to artificially extend (and warp) beliefs?
    Johnson could have said "It's a brand of dog food", but anyone who thinks carte blanche lazy fairy* economics is a great way to do things but doesn't know other countries exist is pretty sad. But the TPP doesn't include Syria so he's not going to care, probably?

* oops, Laissez-faire, but what's the actual difference since both involve unrealistic and detached outcomes, and magical thinking also seems to be involved in many cases...

24. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

[​IMG]

Burka Trump: Absolutely I'm a Conservative. NOBODY, I mean NOBODY is more Conservative than me. I know about Conservatism more than anyone. Guaranteed.

25. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah - the old "socially liberal/fiscally conservative" thing. Not sure if those two can work together though. In order to be socially "liberal" you usually have to take peoples money from them and redistirbute it which is what funds social programs. High taxes are certainly NOT a fiscally conservative concept though. I dunno - maybe its possibe but its hard to make both sides work.