Are minorities stopped disproportionately or do they commit disproportionate crime?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

At the end of Obama's press conference tonight he received a kind of odd ball question about professor gates at Cambridge. He alluded to thinking there is still rampant racism because a disproportionate amount of minorities were being stopped.

He stated this as fact, and of course the other side of the story is that minorities commit a disproportionate amount of crime by population. Does this seem a bit odd to anyone else? If I was an officer who saw a section of the populous committing a disproportionate amount of crime, I would make a disproportionate amount of stops.

2. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

A bit of both.

Minorities who are lower income are likely to live in a lower income higher crime areas and thus get caught up in the law enforcement undertow

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Arresting an obviously erudite professor in his own home doesn't cut it.

I can understand if it was a poor neighborhood and the guy was poorly dressed and spoke "street" and was drunk. I think that's the real point that's being made, is that too many white people refuse to believe that black men can be successful. When they are, they get slapped back down by whites who can't let go of their own prejudices.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Any evidence for this? I don't really see the point you're making. What does "slapped back down by whites who can't let go of their own prejudices mean"? I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, I'm just baffled on what you're referring to with successful black people getting "slapped back down" from whites.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Racial Profiling is legal in this country. But the answer is both.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I read the story and heard about the story.

The cops did everything right up until the point they arrested him. As soon as they saw his id and it proved that he lived there that should of been to the end of it.

How it should of been handled is cops should show up and do ask for the id and proof that he does live there. Nothing wrong with that. But as soon as they see the id is should be "Thank you, sorry to bother you have a nice day"

Hell I will even cut the cops slack on stepping into the house uninvited if they make it no farther than the entry way really. I cut them slack on the grounds that they are just looking around to make sure some one is not there threatening the guy and just make sure everything is in order but still the end of it.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Bingo. This isn't hard stuff here. Gates doesn't have to be a model citizen once he's satisfactorily proven that it was his home. For me I'm going to be cordial with Law Enforcement (especially if I know I'm in the wrong) but when I know I'm right my patience would be fairly limited as well.

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Isn't Texas part of America? I think it's legal but not too legal. Because here in NYC people had a big fit over the NYPD searching Muslim people's belongings exclusively on the trains so they had to start searching other races too.

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I didn't read/see the story, so I apologize if this is a bad question. Don't they need probable cause to do this? They can't just barge into people's houses and demand proof they live there...

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will fill you in on the back story and then it everything upto the arresting part is understandable.

The profession lock himself out of the house and had to break in to his own house to to speak. A neighbor or someone else saw this and though he was breaking into the house and call the cops. which in my book was the right thing to do. If I saw some one breaking into a house I am going to assume they are doing it to steal.

Ok the cops response to a breaking and entering call and when they get there he answer the door. The guy matches the description the cops have to go on which is an African American male so they ask for some id and proof he live there since he does match the description of the guy breaking into the house.

Now as soon as they saw the id was correct that should of been the end of it.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The police reports are interesting reading. All the guy had to do was say "Yes, officer, this is my home, I locked myself out, here's my ID," and problem solved in a few minutes. Instead, he chooses to act as though he has a chip on his shoulder the size of a bull elephant. No sympathy for this guy.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No stopping the fact that that supposedly happens a huge amount at airports - according to Gerry Adams (head of Sein Fein) the only people who get "randomly selected" for additional security checks are him and Muslims.

He's an academic on black history - of course he's going to be arrogant about this kind of thing.

Personally once he'd shown the Harvard ID and driving licence the cop should have backed right off.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

1. Racial profiling is illegal, but some does occur. There are cases of "Driving while black" or "Walking while Mexican". Not as many as popular gossip would have it believed, however.

2. Blacks do commit a disproportionate percentage of crimes. Federal data bears this out. DOJ, CDC. I don't think I need to veer this thread into the reasons, however.

3. In this case, the cops should have backed off after seeing the ID as to proof of residency, arrogance or not. It appears that they let resentment of personal insult overcome their professional judgement.

'Rat

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In my town the Asian quarter get up to more mischief than any other, but it's also the poorest area. Every other week theres a murder or attempted whilst in our village we get the occasional drunken brawl. Car crimes are more common there too. And the only riot our town had was caused by a clash between an asian kid and a white kid.

But the poor white areas are rubbish too, who just so happen to have the highest concentration of BNP supporters.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Have you ever locked yourself out of your house? It's pretty annoying and makes people angry. The police officer should have backed off once he got the ID. There's no law saying that a person has to be nice to police officers, especially when they're clearly being butt heads.

No sympathy for the police officer who clearly entered the house uninvited and refused to back down. It sounds like he wanted a confrontation not a solution.

17. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Gates acted out the part of "ABM" and got what he asked for. PrezBo is a subscriber to the ABM model and fellow race warlord so of course he is going to make a scene - he cannot resist inserting himself into anything anymore.

Of course PrezBo will try to imply there is racism, its far better than the truth the statistic show... which is by percentage of population this group commits more crimes. Just as bad they kill each other and their community seems more intent on blaming the other guy (with help from RWs) instead of acknowledging the monster under the bed.

The key to remember is...

He was ONLY arrested outside his house AFTER he continued to follow and harass the officer. Basically he copped an attitude because he wanted to be more offended than he should have been. His own words quite clearly demonstrate he was purposefully exaggerating the situation. I would not doubt he was pleased with being arrested.

Oh this picture is great [​IMG]

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

The arrest, as narrated in the arrest report, stands on all fours. The only question is whether the report is some sort of fraud. If it is, the drafting officer(s) should be arrested and the charges against Gates dropped. If it is not, Gates is doing a selfish, massive disservice to the legions of people who have been wrongly accused/arrested because of a minority status.

19. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

He broke into his own house and then was allegedly uncooperative when questioned through the door. Sounded like he immediately thought they were racist because they were investigating a break-in. It would be like jimmying your lock open in the parking lot and not expecting to be stopped.

20. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

The fact that the President of the United States of America got on National Television last night and personally scolded these police officers, not having been there, not knowing all the facts, not apparently knowing that the accused followed the cops out of the house and continued to harass them, is a sad, sad state of affairs.

This guy was obviously trying to make a bigger deal out of something than was there to begin with. The officers were simply responding to a call of robbery. If he would have calmly shown the officers his ID, like most innocent people would, been maybe a little mad but generally kept calm and cool... like most innocent people would, nothing more would have happened. The cops would have apologized for the inconvenience and that would have been the end of it.

Problem is, that guy was looking to be an ass. Looking to make a political statement, a scene, looking to harass and impede the law officers in their work, and was arrested as such.

I wan't there, like the President, so I can't know all of the facts... but what I can say is that he has no right to stand up on his bully-pulpit (literally in this case) and cast judgement on these police officers.

What a shameful disgrace of a thing for a President to do. I thought Obama was doing a good job of staying above most of this racial drama... apparently not.

21. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have a feeling Obama may be asked for an apology for basically calling Cambridge police "stupid". Kind of like when he dug his whole in Vegas. Either way I have no idea why the question was asked at this press conference.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Every since Obama was elected, there has been a growing perception that we live in a "post racial society". I think black activists became alarmed by this sentiment and needed to highlight an incident like this(the Harvard professor being arrested that is) to try and keep momentum behind policies like affirmative action. The justification for such policies has been eroding for years.

It was inappropriate for Obama to comment on this situation at all before all the facts were sorted out. It reveals a bias and that is something the President can't afford.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If it's not appropriate for the president of the United States to stand up against inequality, then who is appropriate?

Would you be fluffing your feathers if Clinton or Bush had done this?

Something tells me that you're saying black presidents can't stand up against inequality against blacks because a black president might be prejudiced. What a bunch of BS.

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If you read the police report it says the officers were leaving after they verified who's house it was and verified who he was. The office had ended it. Mr. Gates continued.. Read page 2 paragraph 3.

I haven't heard what the President has said, so I won't comment on that.