are most Macbook Air owners male, female or other?

are most Macbook Air owners male or female?

• male

Votes: 68 55.3%
  • female

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 36 29.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
There are other gender identifications than male or female. Sheesh. Prudeness of some people.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Most Macbook owners (all types)... are female. At least in college anyway.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
It may just be a coincidence, but when I was away at school it seemed like I saw most female students with MacBook Air's, especially the 11-inch model. I am a male and will be getting a 13-inch MacBook Air after a few more paychecks.

Jaranson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
There are other gender identifications than male or female. Sheesh. Prudeness of some people.
I put three options there because I want everyone to be treated equally.

However, I suspect the jokers who picked "others" did not fit in that category. :mad:

----------

It may just be a coincidence, but when I was away at school it seemed like I saw most female students with MacBook Air's, especially the 11-inch model. I am a male and will be getting a 13-inch MacBook Air after a few more paychecks.
Are you picking the 13-inch because you don't want to be seen with the "girly" 11-inch models? :D

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Dalek invasion force

You are so quick to be judgmental, are you OK? Prudeness? Even that's a word, how about your intolerance of others' inquisitiveness? On the other hand, you are so right, Daleks are everywhere these days.

----------

Most Macbook owners (all types)... are female. At least in college anyway.
As a percentage or as an outright number? The college I went to had girls outnumber guys 3-1
At the time laptops were less common but PowerBooks were probably 2-1 female-male, so many more PowerBook users were female, but Mac market share was higher among men than it was among women.

I know 4 people who bought themselves (not relatives or friends) an MBA. 3 are women but the 1 man uses his more than the 3 women combined.

Jaranson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
As a percentage or as an outright number? The college I went to had girls outnumber guys 3-1
At the time laptops were less common but PowerBooks were probably 2-1 female-male, so many more PowerBook users were female, but Mac market share was higher among men than it was among women.

I know 4 people who bought themselves (not relatives or friends) an MBA. 3 are women but the 1 man uses his more than the 3 women combined.
for some reason, that reminded me of my worst car buying experience.
When the Hummber H2 came out, I bought one. After driving it for several months, I noticed that all the other H2 drivers were women. My worst fear was confirmed when I brought it in for service for the first time. I was chatting with the salesman who sold me the H2. He admitted that ALL of the H2s he sold were to single female customers. I asked him why didn't tell me that when I was signing the papers. He said "what? and lose a customer?" (finally... a very honest car salesman) Three weeks later, I sold the H2. For a tidy $1100 profit!!!

Windowsrefugee

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Microsoft Land
Of course we do not know if the gender distribution on this blog is representative of the population of Mac owners do we? I would speculate that there are more male readers and responders tan females so this could skew the results in favor of males:cool:

cs02rm0

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
I put three options there because I want everyone to be treated equally.

However, I suspect the jokers who picked "others" did not fit in that category. :mad:
Were people supposed to vote for their own gender or which gender they thought most Macbook Air owners were? Maybe they thought it was an even split.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Real men seek out and buy the old 17" MacBook Pro, of course, and not the wimpy Air. :)

If your company owns "your" Air, then the choice is "Other".

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
"Other" would be a correct category if the owner is an institution: company, school, government, etc.

And in many locations, the ownership would still fall under "other" if purchased by a married couple, due to community property laws.

That would be the case here in California: if the MacBook's primary user was the wife, the presiding judge in the divorce case would let her have it (assuming she wants it), with suitable compensation (fair market value) for the husband.

Note that in a school setting, the user could easily change from male to female on a daily basis (e.g., device gets returned every evening to a charging station).

Owners and users aren't the same thing, something that the original poster did not carefully ponder.

In any case, this poll is worthless. MacRumors is a grossly inadequate place to figure out the behavior of American consumers. The MR reader demographics are so grossly skewed, a forum reader poll is largely relevant only to MR readership.

Last edited:

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I am a female with MBA 13". When I was buying it, I saw mostly women purchasing the 13" but a lot of men buying the 11". Still, most customers were crowded around the new MacBook Pro with Retina. This is my third MacBook 13 but my first Air, which I have coveted since the day my brother-in-law got his.

Jaranson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
I am a female with MBA 13". When I was buying it, I saw mostly women purchasing the 13" but a lot of men buying the 11". Still, most customers were crowded around the new MacBook Pro with Retina. This is my third MacBook 13 but my first Air, which I have coveted since the day my brother-in-law got his.

I sure Apple can make the 11" Macbook Air even smaller next year! :)

I honestly don't care if they put the Retina screen on it.

What I want is the same screen size, but lower weight.

1.5 pounds or less?

Or is that physically impossible?

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
Use the power adapter, duh!

take out the battery? what am I supposed to run the Macbook Air on? Air? :D :D :D

Your then one who wanted it to weigh 1.5 pounds..... That's the solution.

Everything has a cost get the picture?

Let's see the iPad Air is also and option for you and weighs only 1 pound and then add a Logitech ultralight keyboard and your there.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005

Your then one who wanted it to weigh 1.5 pounds..... That's the solution.

Everything has a cost get the picture?

Let's see the iPad Air is also and option for you and weighs only 1 pound and then add a Logitech ultralight keyboard and your there.
1. When a laptop is connected to a power adapter, nobody will carry it over a distance where it makes a difference whether it is one pound or twenty pound.

2. Running a MacBook (those with removable battery) without battery is a very bad idea, because the clock speed will be hugely reduced. That's because every MacBook can for short time draw more power than the power supply can provide and takes the rest from the battery. If there is no battery, the clock speed has to be reduced to guarantee that the power supply is sufficient under all possible circumstances.

3. And it is a bad idea again because of the magsafe adapter, which is very easily detached, and then your Mac crashes.

----------

Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't give a hoot.
I find it ludicrous that some people try so hard to appear manly that they won't touch a product that women like - being influenced by that kind of thing is about the most unmanly thing possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.