Are my magnets on the back of my iPad weaker then they should be?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rick98761, Mar 15, 2011.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

Finally got my iPad today. Everything is great, except when I flip the smart cover flat on the back the hold of the magnets is very weak. I can tell there is a little bit of hold, but often it just releases on it's own. Does everyone else's smart cover hold firmly on the back side?

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Happens to everyone, thats just how the "smart" cover is designed and one of the major negatives about it

3. Superman Y2K macrumors regular

Superman Y2K

It's not supposed to stick to the backside just the front.

4. monaarts macrumors 65816

Your supposed to just pull the cover off when you don't want to use it. That is what makes it 'smart'. LOL

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

From what I've seen most people with smart covers recommend folding it in half when you put it behind the iPad, that way it sticks to itself doesn't flop around when you hold it at the hinge.

6. JusChexin macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F191 Safari/6533.18.5)

This.

This is about the best solution I've found for reading an article like a book in portrait mode, while folding the cover back.

7. cbdoc macrumors member

You my friend are a gentlemen and a scholar!

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

^false!

9. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I pull it off and like having it off. I ordered a macally back cover but cancelled the order when I realized it locks the smart cover on.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Another option is to fold the smart cover up in triangle formation against the back and use it as a grip/handle for your left hand.

11. Pracht macrumors member

I haven't seen any promotional material to imply that this is false... I've always assumed that the very slight stick it has is just due to the magnets on the front and is nothing intentional for the backside?

12. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I think having magnets strong enough to stick to the back would affect the performance if the magnetic switch that auto locks/unlocks the screen

13. Superman Y2K macrumors regular

Superman Y2K

Why post to a year old thread and the SmartCover does not attach to the back of the iPad when it's flipped around it will attach to itself when folded in half.

^^true

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I didn't resurrect the thread.

My smart cover sticks to the back. I never said it was a specific function, nor did I say that the hold is very strong. But it worked. I have back cover on my new iPad and obviously it doesnt hold through it, but when I used to run with a naked back, I did it all the time. You just have to be smarter then the "smart" cover.