Are Navigation Apps COMPATIBLE?««««««

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by IphoneHack, May 14, 2010.

1. IphoneHack macrumors newbie

IphoneHack

Are Navigation apps such as NDrive, TomTom, Navigon etc. Compatible with Ipad? Has anyone downloaded and used on the open road? I love these applications, hopefully the resolution isn't distorted because they are written for the iphone. :p

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

They're compatible with the Wifi+3G models only as they have GPS. CoPilot and MotionX have both released iPad specific version of their navigations apps. Don't know about using the iPhone apps on the iPad 3G's though - I'll know by the 28th!

3. Tinnitusdoc macrumors member

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I have both Navigon and the Tom Tom app. They both work just fine and run smoother due to the faster processor in the iPad.

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Same here. Navigon works much better on my iPad than it does on my iPhone 3G.

6. IphoneHack thread starter macrumors newbie

IphoneHack

Thanks

Thanks for the excellent responses, more are welcome!

7. WLS macrumors 65816

Thanks for the mention of MotionX. I looked it up and it is awe some.

I wanted an app that would let me download maps for vacation locales and this fits the bill perfectly. I bought it right away! :)

8. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I believe wifi models can also run some navigation app's with the various external gps receivers for the iPhone and iPad.

9. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Yeah MotionX is pretty nice for local maps and only like $3. :)

10. tuxedobladehead macrumors newbie

I'm looking to use my iPad as a gps device for turn by turn directions. Will any of these apps do that well?

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

im looking for this option as well. i was looking at CoPilot App but looks sort of iffy based on reviews anyone actually try it?

12. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

You're welcome - in fact I may get it myself for the iPad, and stick with CoPilot for the iPhone :)

I've had CoPilot for the iPhone since is came out. I've never had any issues with it, but one thing to consider is the "extras" you will have to pay for. It may work out cheaper to get a more expensive looking turn by turn app as they have things like text-to-speech included, not as an paid add-on. It's a shame they're not doing a universal app.

13. b00st3d macrumors member

b00st3d

The Magellan app works fine as well on the iPad!

14. Cinab1mt macrumors regular

Don't trust the reviews. I have both copilot for the iPhone and my iPad 3G, they both work pretty well. The iPhone version has a few fees that are for add ons, like text to speech etc, not monthly fees for simply using the navigation. The iPad version has no fees that I have come across yet. The reviews are skewed in my opinion because the app is a bit different than other navigation devices when entering in an address, so many think that their address isn't in the system. This is simply a UI issue that I have already made evident to developers, and we could see a fix in the near future. Other than that there are quarterly map updates, the features see pretty nice, and the app def takes advantage of all the extra iPad space. Once you play around with entering destinations, you'll be navigating in no time. I loved the app personally and it certainly has great potential. So many are quick to judge, and are not patient with new software because it wasn't "like my Garmin" right "out of the box". At $29.99 I think it's s pretty fair solution to most navigation needs!