Are O2-UK Pay As You Go iPhones "Factory Unlocked"...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kahnyl, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

...or are they locked to the network? I saw a PAYG iPhone 4 on eBay (he'll buy it launch day and send it) and I don't trust the seller.

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The 3G and 3GS have been locked to O2, but current terms state you can unlock the phone WHENEVER for a £15 charge, then it is completely unlocked, however you forfeit your free 12months of data.

3. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

So when you buy an iPhone from an Apple store (UK) will it be unlocked?

4. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

When I bought my 3GS payg last year from apple it was locked to O2! :(

Let's hope that because all operators seem to have the phone now maybe we can buy it from apple unlocked!

We can but hope

5. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I wouldn't trust the seller either. First of all he hasn't been able to pre-order the phone yet so he can't know where about he will be on the list never if he canget it on day1. The second thing is why would he sell it on ebay? he's going to want to make a profit out of it and no matter if he upgrades or buys it as pay as you go hand set it's going to cost him, then he will have ebay fees, and then delivery fees, so he's going to have to sell it well above the price that it goes for.

You would have to be a moron to trust this guy.

pre-order it yourself, or get in the que for it hen it comes out, you will save yourself loads of money and you will actually recieve an iPhone 4 for your money.

6. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

yeah Apple have no more an exclusivity deal with O2 than with Vodaphone so I really think they will sell it unlocked.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Virgin Mobile don't have it!

8. jongriff macrumors regular

jongriff

They will almost certainly not sell it unlocked as all the networks offer various pay and go deals, the o2 deal for instance offers free 3G data and wifi for a year when you first top up.
    As was said in a previous post however it can be unlocked for £15 (topped-up credit) so your best bet is to get one on release day and plump the extra money. It will take 14 days to unlock though.
    There has been no word on whether apple will sell them unlocked directly however and this may well be the case as every carrier is now offering the iPhone 4.
    I certainly wouldn't buy it on eBay on the understanding that it is unlocked so early on.