Are owners of the 2011 13" MBP happy with your purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LarryC, Jul 16, 2011.

1. LarryC, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

LarryC macrumors 6502

LarryC

Hello everyone. First of all, let me say that I am in no way trying to offend anyone. I am seriously asking because I am very tempted to purchase this machine. I have read that if the RAM is increased to 8GB's, then the amount of video RAM is increased to 512. I guess I'm just scared because the machine does not have a dedicated GPU. I will admit that the machine I am using is an ancient old girl, but she has been with me through thick and thin. My current Mac is a G4 eMac with a 1.42GHz G4 and only 64MB of video RAM. I just don't want to buy something that I am gonna be disappointed with. How is the keyboard? Is it something that is comfortable to type on for long periods of time? I know that may sound like a very odd question, but I do a lot of writing. I had posted a thread on here about a month ago and I got a lot of really great responses. I have been looking at the 15" machines on Amazon and I really do like the reviews there. Someone mentioned that his 15" MBP keyboard had a wider spacing of the keys than he was used to and that he liked that a lot after he finally got used to it. I am so tempted to get the top of the line 15", but I don't want to do something stupid and buy a Ferrari if all I need is a Jeep Wrangler. I guess I'm just being silly, but I keep reading reviews on Amazon saying that the 2011 13" model is a step backwards compared to the previous model because the previous model came with the Nvidia GPU. I mostly use my computer to surf the web and to write. I also like to watch movies on youtube and Hulu. My current machine is no longer supported on Hulu and that really gets to me :mad: I have been a user of OS X since my first Mac, a 500MHz G3 iMac that also came with a OS X disc with 10.0.3 (I'm pretty sure that was the version of X that it came with). I don't want to have to buy a new computer every two or three years. I want something that I could theoretically use for 8 years if I wanted to and that is why I am wondering if I need a top of the line 15". I know that this probably sounds crazy to some of you and I suppose that it might be. If I do buy a 13" I am going to purchase it with the 750GB HD. I know that the SSD is better in so many ways, but I would rather have a huge traditional HD. I have a pretty good sized music library and I have a lot of podcasts. I keep all of my iTunes library on an external 1TB drive that I also use for Time Machine. Thank you for any replies.

Sincerely,

Larry Campbell
    Hickory, NC

P.S. I do remember that if I get the 13" I do not need to upgrade the CPU. I remember that advice from the last time I asked a question about the 13" MBP.

2. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I think what you listed will do great on the 13", I'm typing this reply on the 2011 13" right now. I do some of the things you listed, manly e-mail, web surfing, financial software via Parallels and lots of YouTube vids and I just love my machine, I did drop 4GB of ram in it but watching my activity monitor I realize my machine never uses over 3 or 4 GB but I feel better with it there.

I can't speak for the size difference on the keyboard between different models, I only have the 13", good luck with your decision, I don't think you will go wrong with either model

3. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

Thank you.

4. Mhotep macrumors member

I just got mine from Ebay this past week for a great price. So far no problems with it. I've upgraded the hard drive to a 1TB from new egg, and increased the Ram to 8gb. I just checked and it does say 512mb for the video ram. Hope that helps. I've been to Hickory plenty of times, lovely area.

5. pcomac macrumors regular

i got mine for a week and so far its great. i have the base line and i do what you do. the screen and size is perfect if you are going to move it or going to college. i watch youtube and its basically the same as on 15". my mom has the 15" and its kind of big. the keyboard looks the same on both of them. if you get the 15", you will have to get a bigger bag which can suck. also, when you use safari on 15", it actually opens up where is doesnt extend to both sides. i mean you can extend it manually but for most websites it wont make a difference. if you have 13" you can just extend it and its almost the same as the 15". just get the 13" one.

6. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just gonna do it. Monday Morning, I'm gonna order it from Amazon with something like 2 day shipping. Thank you for the replies. I know I'm gonna love this new laptop. I think I'm gonna go ahead and purchase the 8GB RAM kit from Amazon at the same time I order the computer. Thank you.

7. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Might want to wait a few more days, as the MBA will probably be released.

8. majohnson macrumors newbie

Mbp

I purchased the MBP 15", so far its been great. I have Windows 7 Pro loaded so I can run my CNC machine, that worked just as advertised.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have the 13" 2011 2.3GHz mbp and am very happy with it. I had the 2010 13" not too long ago and compared to that it is a much superior machine in the performance department. Truly a night and day difference in overall speed!

With the 2010 version, at times I felt like I overpaid for such an old outdated CPU such as the core 2 duo and connecting to my hdtv to play some movies via plex player, some bigger movies wouldnt play at a solid fps because the core 2 duo was too slow.

NOW it is a MUCH different story. I can have my mbp connected to an hdtv run 6 spaces with whatever the heck I'd want without even a hiccup!

Another thing I've noticed (not sure if I got a good lcd panel from a lottery pick on the 13" or not) but the 2011 13" mbp's lcd display seems so much more vivid compared to the 2010 model that I had. The colors look very colorful and the black level is one of the best I've ever seen on a notebook (and I've owned the antiglare hi resolution 17" mbp 2010 & 2011 model).

I have no regrets and I'm sure you wont either once you jump in! Go pick one up!

Even better is that if you have a microcenter nearby its on sale for $999 (which is what I've done).

10. Lennyvalentin, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Great, I'd say. Better than any PC laptop I've laid my mitts on. And, it's backlit too which improves ergonomics considerably I'd say.

I don't think that is the case. From what I've seen in the store, all MBP keyboards look the exact same size (and layout), it's just the casing that get bigger on the 15 and 17 inch models.

It's not as much a step backwards, as a rather large step forwards in CPU processing ability (sandy bridge is considerably improved over its predecessor)...and pretty much staying in the same place where the GPU is concerned.

Apple optimized the Intel GMA3000 driver for OSX a lot, making it pretty much on par with the previous generation's Nvidia GPU. In Windows, the Intel GPU will suffer due to a less optimized driver, but even so it will be a huge step up from a G4 Macbook... :D (And if you don't use windows it won't matter to you anyhow.)

Pretty sure the battery won't last you 8 years, or if it does it won't hold much of a charge at all, 15 mins maybe if you're lucky... The hardware itself might not last 8 years either, the more environmentally friendly lead-less solder used in modern electronics is a lot more brittle and prone to cracking after a couple years of thermal cycling. Once that happens your hardware's basically dead. But hey, maybe I'm being too pessimistic just because my PS3 died on me because of this issue after a bit over four years of service...

If your iTunes library is on an external drive anyway, why not consider the SSD? While Macos boots really quick even for a slow 2.5" laptop drive (compared to windows, which I use most of the time), the power of a modern SSD really should not be misunderestimated. I use an Intel X25-E 60GB drive in my PC as boot disk, and it basically does not slow down - AT ALL - regardless of how much stuff you throw at it.

Logging in and starting up the dozen or so resident programs that autostarts takes about 2-3 seconds with the SSD, and while it's doing that windows is fully responsive and I can launch programs that start up nearly instantly. When I still used a HDD, running this much stuff could take half a minute or more before things settled down and the PC became useable, the difference is like night and day. SSDs MURDER HDDs in performance, and since they have no moving parts they draw a lot less power and aren't sensitive to motion.

This is important for a laptop where you might be shifting around the computer or even picking it up and carrying it from one place to another, with a SSD you won't risk any head-crashes and catastrophic, total data loss as a result due to any sudden bumps or knocks.

Trying to do stuff on my MBP 13" while time machine starts backing up 20 gigs is not fun, everything loads a lot slower. With a SSD you wouldn't even notice it was backing up in the background as you continue doing your usual tasks.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy! :)

11. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I love my 13" machine. I'm currently a college student, and it's great for me to pack around. As far as typing goes, I absolutely love the keyboard. I'm typing on it right now in the dark. The backlit keyboard works great, and it's quiet enough not to disturb anyone else. As far as power goes, the machine will definitely be powerful enough for anything you want to do with it. Everyone moans and groans about how "terrible" the GPU is. But I have absolutely never had a problem with it. I play Starcraft 2, Left for Dead 2, and a few other titles with absolutely no issues. I get moderate frame rates with all of these games. I think the 13" would be a great machine for you.

Ultimately, the choice is up to you. If you feel that you need the 15" screen estate, then go for it. But if you're like me, and feel lost on a bigger screen, then the 13" is definitely where you wannna be.

12. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

My old PC was 15" and I have had my 13" MBP for a week and a half. I was worried about the 13" being too small but it really isn't. I actually LOVE it! It is the perfect size, so nice to carry around and the speed is amazing. The 15" might have been nice because of the extra power, but I am extremely happy with my purchase.

13. LogoLunchBox macrumors newbie

My MBP 13" has done everything I throw at it. I'm an electrical engineer / IT professional.

I have the stock setup (320GB 4GB) and the only slow down I've noticed is when I tried to play COD: MW1 on it. The frame rate wasn't smooth. Aside from that everything is blazinnnggggg... I plan to get the 8GB so that the video card is 512MB.

I run Win 7 64 bit in VM Ware fusion and you couldn't even tell it was virtual. Runs smooth and natural. Aero effect works too.

No over heat problems, runs cool in my lap. This is no doubt one of the best laptops I have ever seen. (and I've seen alot). The first time I heard the fan running was when I was playing COD, before that I just thought this thing didn't have a fan.

The machine boots from a cold start in 30-45 seconds, and instantly turns on from sleep. The keyboard buttons feel smooth, not mushy. The battery last at least 6 hours- I haven't really done a test, but I use my laptop at least 5 hours a day and charge it overnight.

The MBP works great with my iPhone and I DJ so it works perfect with Serato and iTunes.

I also got an incase hard case because I tend to bang my laptop around on the wall and desk when I use. So far the case hasn't made it run hot.

I got the 2011 13" thinking that even if there is a 2012 refresh, I won't get the refresh; only because it's a "Beta" first production product and it's generally not good to get first-gen items (cars, laptops, phones) Let them work the bugs out. I'll be getting the 2013 MBP tho.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

13" mbp 8gb ram. extremely pleased with it. my eye occasionally wanders to the mba 13" and i think the refreshed 13" (if it ever comes out) might be nice to have instead, but i doubt i will get it.

i like the glossy bezel-less screen on the mbp, the extra hdd memory is pretty nice (although, not absolutely necessary), and it really isn't that much heavier than the mba. besides, it costs less :)

i have no plans at this time to get the refreshed mba, the 2012 mbp (whatever it is), or any other computer. i feel like this one is more than enough for my needs already, and i expect it will be that way for a few years longer.

i hope you enjoy it!

15. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I can't comment on the 2011 MBP, but I do have a 2010 13" MBP. I came from a gaming Windows PC, with a GPU that was probably half the size of the 13" MBP! Aside from gaming performance, I have noticed no difference in all other tasks. HD videos load fast, web browsing is fast, etc.

Your other two concerns, RAM and HD, can both be upgraded at any time!

I have been 100% happy not only with my 13" MBP, but also with my switch to Mac! :)

16. MJNBGA macrumors regular

I have the 2011 13" 2.3 GHZ i5 model. I must say that I am extremely happy with this computer. It had exceeded my expectations by far. I plan on upgrading to 8GB ofRAm soon (I'm still looking for a good deal here in New Zealand...). Love this machine, and I love :apple:! :D

17. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

That does it for me. I am placing my order right now (as soon as I am through posting this). I just wanted to thank all of you that took the time to post a comment in this thread. It is greatly appreciated. MacBook Pro, here I come. I'm gonna order it through Amazon to save some money and I'll order the Corsair 8GB memory upgrade at the same time. Amazon currently has that for only $49.99 after a $10.00 Rebate. I plan on upgrading the hard drive from its stock 320GB size sometime in the future. Thanks again, guys. You are all great and you make Mac Rumors a great place to hang out and share information.

Sincerely,

Larry Campbell
    Hickory, NC

18. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I think this post has re-encouraged me to get a 13" MBP. I fell in love with the 13" at the apple store but once I got online it seemed everyone hated on them. So I decided I might as well buy a notebook that will last me (a 15") but now after reading all the replies i might just be okay with a 13" :)

19. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I did not know this. Can somebody confirm? I just upgraded to 8GB but can't tell.

OP: Good luck with your purchase! And when you upgrade memory... don't drop one of those tiny screws on the floor like I did. You'll be on your hands and knees for hours. (And I inadvertently taught my kids how to swear). :eek:

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just ordered the 8GB of RAM from Amazon for the 512mb vram unlock.

Also I'm sitting at around 100mb free RAM atm. LOL.

21. imorton macrumors 6502

Have a look at the system profile in the About this Mac section, and look under graphics... 512 mb

Attached Files:

22. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Didn't know about the vram...gonna update to 8gb for sure now.

23. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

I love the 13" MBP

I just wanted to let the people who had contributed to this thread know that I received my new laptop and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I really like the screen and I thought that it was already plenty fast. I upgraded the RAM to 8GB and it is really snappy now. Thank you to all of you for your feedback. You guys were right, the keyboard is great and I couldn't be happier with it.