Are people now more confident that Apple aren't ignoring the Mac desktop line?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mr-Stabby, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

What with the very late Mac Mini, iMac and non-existant Mac Pro, plus Apples neglect in even mentioning Mac desktops at Keynotes over the last couple of years, i've seen a lot of threads here saying that Apple is giving up on the Mac desktop line and concentrating on the iToy line. Has this recent keynote made people feel more confident that Apple still care about the Mac desktops?

It certainly made me feel better. Not only is the Mac the first product in the list on the Apple Online Store at the moment, but there was heavy emphasis on the Mac in this last keynote. Whereas i think Steve Jobs was focused more on the portable line, I think Tim Cook at least recognises the value of the desktop line. A lot more than Jobs did anyway. Especially considering the rise in sales compared to PCs.

That's not based on any real evidence, just conjecture. But i'm just interested in what other people think.

I think if there is a decent Mac Pro replacement in the new year, then us desktop users who prefer our desktops can worry a little less from now on. Still worry of course, i mean the iMac isn't exactly what i was hoping for, but at least worry less.

2. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Absolutely not. Ask me again when the next Mac Pro comes out (or doesn't). This obsession with thinness is not appropriate for a desktop line, we need more power!

3. Mr-Stabby thread starter macrumors 6502

Well looking at the iMac and the new Mac Mini, it seems that they're very clearly trying to make a clear distinction between the models. Whereas the last iMac could easily be a Mac Pro replacement, this new model has clearly been made to be more of a 'form over function' desktop, leaving a clear gap for a shiny new Mac Pro to take over the market for people who want proper desktops. Though the fact that the iMac is $100 more expensive is more than a bit annoying. I'm guessing the new Mac Pro won't be cheap enough either!

4. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Exactly what I've been saying all day!

5. sukai macrumors regular

Can't wait for that awkward moment when they can't make it more thinner and they have to make it thick again.

Didn't they do that with one of the iPads?

6. mediacomposer macrumors newbie

mediacomposer

HAAHAH NO!

Took them long enough... as for innovation? I just don't see it anymore...