Are People Way Too Obsessed With Religion?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 10, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Sure, religion is based around faith, and you know why it's based around faith? None of it is definite or even likely to be true. We can't prove it and it contradicts itself, because there's a very small chance it's all true, and the amount of religions in the world contributes to religion just being made up by a group of people before anything could be well-recorded.

Because of this, it has always puzzled me why people are so obsessive with their religion. You can believe in the theory of God, heaven, hell, and whatnot. You can also believe in, say, Darwin's theory of evolutionism. I don't go preaching and actively obsessing over my ideology that this life is it, you can't just believe there's more and believe in other theories that have little truth behind them. But I have to think of it a lot when people are so obsessive over their own religion.

Daily prayers (maybe more), using terms such as "God" and "Jesus" all of the time, going to church sometimes, etc. People let religion become a big part of their life. It seems the people who do the most have little else to do and aren't part of anything important (or were raised in that sort of environment). It just takes up time and gives them something to look forward to and do (making sure their soul is okay - a soul isn't a scientifically-proven thing, though), and they won't be able to know the difference if there is no after-life.

People put a lot into and obsess over religions that are made up of information very far from facts, and they spend a lot of time doing and worrying about it. You can have faith to the extent that you can say that a religion is what you believe in, but you shouldn't let something so uncertain and unlikely take over your life.

2. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

People have always been afraid of dying, believing in something superior gave/gives them a little faith in immortality, in any form possible.

Funny how religion evolves over time. Nobody nowadays believes in Thor or Odin anymore. Other religions might have fanished completely or spinned off into the ones known today.

</opinion of a non-believer>

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think the further science enhances, the more religion will disappear. Religion is still very widespread today for better or worse, but more scientific discoveries will make religions even less believable. Religion explained the unexplainable (weather, etc.), and now we just need to eventually find out how the world came into existence. We haven't found a soul, so it isn't a good assumption to say that there's an after-life. Too many religious people won't believe otherwise no matter what, and are way too defensive making sure that their religion isn't tested. Ignorance is making them waste their time, but that's their problem. Unfortuantely, everybody else has to acknowledge that person's religion constantly because of that person's obsessiveness.

4. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I think that religion is somewhat similar to sleep: It is not very clear why we need it, and there probably could've been least wasteful ways to obtain whatever benefits it produces, but for some reason we evolved that way and now we're stuck with it.

When I was a child I had a very different perspective of life. I thought that my parents were sort of omnipotent, and that no harm could come my way since they would always be able to protect me. Now that I've grown up and I see life for what it is, I know that my parents didn't have all the answers, they were just bluffing, just like I would to shelter a child of mine from anxiety.

When you grow up you realize that "everything will be alright" is just a saying, and that things can go wrong, ****ing horribly wrong. Perhaps religion is just mankind's built-in Peter Pan? Reality can be quite a burden. But who knows...

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Some people fill emotional voids with religion. Same goes with with other faces of life. Religion is not bad, but it must be balanced in your life. Make it your only reason to live, and you are a fanatic. Don't practice it a lot, then why are you religious?

Personally, I have found that the vast majority of people that are obsessed with religion are those who are missing something in their lives and are trying desperately to fill that gap. Also, I find people who are insecure about themselves to a high degree to be extremely religious. However, it is fair to say that not every obsessed religious person will reflect these things. Some people have just started believing and are interested in everything there is to it; if unchecked or misguided it can go wrong.

A true religious person in my opinion, is that person who does as what he believes, practices it, and does not impose judgement on others; rather accepts other people and tries to earn them rather than force them. After all, all major religions that preach love teach you how to love your neighbor (yes, even Islam) and have them as a friend before converting them. However, extremists want you to convert for them to be your friend. It doesn't work this way. Doing this is the equivalent of some stranger going up to you and saying "Let's take a ride in my car and become friends", we all know the opposite must happen first.

Meh, I'll add to/finish this argument later. A bit late and I might not have all the details in my argument well expressed.

6. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

I don't think religion will disappear. there will always be the next 'unexplanable'. We now know that the sun is no god itself, that potions are no witchcraft, and that lightning is no weapon. It's the unknown what people fear the most. The chance of survival increases by thinking that the unknown must be superior, and following its rules might protect you.

The urge for survival or staying alive facing that what you don't understand, gives you basically two options: Run from it, or embrace it. That's how humans and animals are programmed. Any other choice will make the species sooner or later extinct. You run away from danger, and therefore stay alive or, you stay and either be protected by or killed by your opponent. If you stay alive, your species will survive, if you get killed, your species extinct, unless the rest learns from it and stays away. That's called evolution.

Food for example: Eating it will either kill you or becomes a chance for survival. Those that choose not to eat it will die anyway. Natural selection at its best.

All this fanatism, wars, obsession and what not that comes with religion is just people being afraid that others might ruin their chance for immortality/heaven/eternal enlightment/etc. Becoming superior increases this chance. And to become superior you have to suppress/kill the weaker ones. Sounds like evolution, doesn't it ;)

I've read somewhere that curiosity is that what makes species superior over another.

**edit: spelling

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I think religion can be marginalised in the future. We've seen many faiths and superstitions disappear thoughout history. We need to know more, teach better and make some breakthoughs in science before we can advance. I can't ever see religion, cultism and superstition ever disappearing altogether. Fantasy does have a place in our creative world and I love it myself.

For now, fear, hate, ignorance and insecurity will drive people into the Church doors. Not going to change in our lifetime.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Some people are. More and more people are less and less interested in it. Most notably in Europe but I'm sure elsewhere too.

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I think what ruins it in the US is the extremely competitive nature of US culture in general. Once Americans take take up a challenge, they don't give up until they win. In many fields (like business), that's a great thing. Unfortunately this competitiveness permeates and perverts all levels of religious activity. From the collective level (Our church is bigger then theirs! Our God is better!) right down to the individual level (my personal relationship with my god is holier than yours)

If only this competitive nature could be directed a little more toward humility and reflection.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You probably have that about right.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The sooner the world is rid of religion, the better. Any good, charitable acts that a religious group has ever done are far outweighed by all of the hate and violence committed in the name of religion.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That would solve nothing.

People of power will courpt anything. Religion is what they are twisting now do justify their killing or hate but they could easily find a new reason and ideology they could twisted.

As odd as it sounds just look back and Hilter and the Nazis. They were not a religion and look at what they did. My understanding is if you look at the Nazis original ideals they were not that bad but Hilter and others with him corrupted them for their own uses and lead to Holocaust

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Hitler spoke of doing God's work, he often made religious comments, but he seemed to have a contempt for the Catholic hierarchy.

Regardless, to say that if we were free of religion, and that nothing would change is a really odd statement. How can you remove something that motivates over a billion people and that affects the entire planet not have an affect.

Will people kill for other causes, of course. Removing religion removes another motivator. One of the greatest.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Either way it seems many people only get caught up on the bad part of the twisting of those things and complete pass over the good thing religion often brings. For example Mother Teresa (religion). Or aid it brings in terms of food and money.

Often safe heavens for people are churches or other religious locations. General you will be able to find help a church. Not always the case other wise. Just people only focus on the bad and refuse to look at the good.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Even as a life-long atheist I believe that religion has been a positive influence on humans. We're still a very ignorant and selfish people. It would be nearly impossible for us to make the leap to compassionate, logical rationality.

It's far easier for the vast majority of people to do good based on superstition. It's an easier and more compelling concept to grasp.

Over time... a long, long time... people will hopefully see that religion isn't necessary. But for now, they can't live without it. And at least in principle it is a beneficent, if often misused, tool.

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

As more of the mystery of the world is known the worse the fundamentalists will become. we are already seeing it with all the suicide attacks and such. Look at the fundamentalist christian sect who believe the Flintstones was a documentary. no matter that they use the same science that proves the world is old they deny it.

19. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

The problem is is people have a perfectly good religion and add all sorts of crazy ideas to it. They damage the reputation of people of the same religion by their actions.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Maybe. But when you strip all the crazy ideas away, you're really left with no religion at all. You don't need to add anything to wisdom and compassion.

Superstition is just training wheels, because most people can't balance themselves otherwise.

I'd give it another 1,000,000 years or so.

21. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

No, the problem is that people have a perfectly effed-up religion with all sorts of of crazy ideas in it. Not all the people who practice it are rational enough to unconsciously filter out the bad parts.

22. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

There is a subtle irony to someone asking this on an Apple forum.

23. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Religion would be a failure had feeble minds rejected it; or rather, not practiced and preached it in obsessive fashion.

24. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

Millions of successful and smart people that practice religion are at odds with your hypothesis though.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Religions are in many ways simply identifiers, like nationality. Europe in the Middle Ages termed itself "Christendom", just as the Muslims talk of the "Ummah". Smaller religious groups identify similarly. It is just another way of differentiating yourself from the "other", and in many cases an aid to demonisation. Unbelievers and godless heathens are always deemed less worthy to be counted as part of the human race, and are therefore ripe for discrimination, abuse, invasion or general-purpose scapegoating.