Are phones to the point that nobody will be upgraded every 1-2 years anymore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-evil-x, Nov 1, 2017.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

The way I see tech this year and somewhat 2016 is will people stop upgrading their phones and that is why phone manufactures are raising prices?
    We see it on the note and now the X.
    Will people start treating their phones like computers and not upgrade till they finally go out(4-6 years).
    The camera's in all this years and last years phones are more then enough to satisfied for years and years also which is big.
    So is that why prices are increasing because tech companies know this and they think phone sales will be more of a longer spread out thing.
    Only way I see people upgrading as much as this year is carriers bringing back subsidies or bigger incentives. This year the incentives are pretty much crap. I can see why now.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

They’re certainly at the point where no one needs to upgrade that frequently, but there will always be people who do, especially with the upgrade programs that encourage you to.

3. fnsroot macrumors newbie

fnsroot

Good question. I think it depends on what kind of "tech nerd" you are. Upgrading after 2 or 3 years or even more is even today nothing uncommon within e.g., my family. Nevertheless, I think there will always be those who seek for latest and greatest. Maybe due to the rising prices there will be a slight shift from latter group to the "slower ones", but that will definitely not kill this tech loving cluster.

Edith says...:

Moreover, due to those new "upgrading plans" many more people can "afford" new phones. This is one point that I see quite with discomfort.. even with rising prices most consumers are not rationale enough to evaluate if they can really afford those products.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I will say that for the most part, there doesn't seem much reason to upgrade from a 6 -> 7 or 7 -> 8. Given the high costs of these things, I can't justify nor would I try an annual purchase.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I do not see anything that has changed.

I do not know anyone who owns the same phone for 4-6 years.

The phone makers will upgrade their hardware every year and we will buy it. Some may not every year but I do not see anything has changed.

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

For about the last 5 years I have seen no reason to upgrade my phone annually. There really is nothing new to them in the ground breaking arena, so it is just more cost effective to stick with what I have.

7. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I know plenty of people that still have not 4's and S3's/S4's.

Once those people upgrade do you think that they will take as long to upgrade to a new phone? Chances are coming from an older phone you won't be caring about upgrading as fast anymore since. tech is just super good at this level now.

No lag or basically none in running and opening apps. Camera quality is super good in most phones.

Honestly I think last year was the first year with the 7+ that I felt the phone is plenty good and would be for years.

8. balaplus macrumors 6502

What is the cause and what is the effect?
    If people stop upgrading, raising prices will only make it worse?

If more people stop upgrading, things will not be built to last long!

9. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I just think the big jumps in tech will make people upgrade and I dont see them being much of a change in the next 5 years.
    Not on the level of phones from 2011-2017

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I say yes without question. I have an SE and upgraded to the X. I plan on keeping the X for at least two years and possibly longer unless there is another radical design change.

11. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Raising prices is a idea for tech companies I think to make as much while they still can. At leasts thats how I see it.

12. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Going from an iPhone 7 to 10 is just not worth it

iOS 11 is exactly the same so my experience will be the same except with an oled screen and ugly notch

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

There are people who will still upgrade every year. I do not think I have missed a new iPhone and have upgraded every year. I see people still using a flip phone but that is their choice or could be all they can afford. I chose differently.

14. balaplus macrumors 6502

I accept that is how it ideally should be. But if that was the case, Apple wouldn't feel confident enough to release an Iphone 8 at an entry price 700!
    what these companies are saying is ...
    pay us more for the same tech....
    pay us lot more for exciting tech!

15. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Kind of similar to possibly 1080p tv's to 4k. 4K. prices where very high at the start and they dropped much faster then 720-1080p sets 10+ years ago. Possibly prices will start coming down after the high priced phones if people do not seem to be upgrading as much. That will just boost sales again even if they are making 3-400$ less on these 1000 dollar phones.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    Well you must see it pretty clear then. Over the years have the new iPhones felt much better? Comparing a 6S 7 and now the 8's do you think the changes are really worth it at this point?
    Im a tech guy dont get me wrong but I might need a bigger jump in new features after this year to get me to keep upgrading. Ive had every iPhone since 3g up to the 7+ also.

16. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

Probably one of the reason the prices are through the roof now. Less sales have to be made up by higher price per sale

17. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 601

x-evil-x

You dont think sales are super high this year all around? Im curious what happens over the next few years for sales.

18. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

I upgrade every year and I can genuinely say I feel that every upgrade has given me substantial improvements that were more than worth the cost.

I get that some people cannot afford to upgrade every year. But if you have the money, you should upgrade. It's really that simple.

19. balaplus macrumors 6502

I for one think the tech companies will retain stratospheric profits as we continue to move from today's smartphone --> AR --> Smart wearables (like google glass!)

20. Revels macrumors member

I did annual a few times. 3GS > 4 > 4S > 5

I've got a 6, I was always going to skip the 6S, then I decided to wait after the 7 to see if this years 'monster upgrade' came and I can't wait for my X

21. tx2005 macrumors regular

I feel comfortable upgrading my phone more frequently than an iPad or laptop because my phone is by far by most used device. I get more value per dollar spent with my phone vs anything else tech related.

22. pl1984 Suspended

That we do. Imagine the amount of money that has been wasted buying the latest phone which really doesn't do much to differently than the phone it replaces.

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Phone replaces many gadgets thru it's hardware and software. I really hope to be able to get rid of my wallet someday if the drivers license can be an app.

24. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I mean, if you have the money, you can also save said money.... that is always an option too. Lol

25. tx2005 macrumors regular

Who cares, as long as the person buying can afford it? These companies making money is how we continue to get great products.