Are portable chargers (Universal Power Banks) the new hotness now in tech gadgets?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Misskitty, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Misskitty, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

Misskitty macrumors 6502

It seems these are the new hotness, I walked into stores and see these stocked up to the roof. Now reading more about it and looking into some models, I think this is a device where most people could greatly benefit from and Im actually going to pick up one tommorow and see I like it.

Reason is, well I just recently switched phones and that means all my chargers have to be replaced. Thats bedroom charger, home desk charger, car charger and work desk charger. Aside from getting the included one that came with my phone, I really didnt want to blow money on all these stationary chargers all over again.

So instead of ordering new desktop cradles and chargers on ebay (cause the stores are such a rip off...$20-30/pop? Cmon), and wait for the solar eclipse to pass before it shows up (Im in Canada), plus this is something I kind of need right away...I figured why not just put that money towards a portable charger (aka Universal Power Banks). They usually go for around $40-60. You can get ones that have a battery as high as 10,000+mah, that is like 4-5 cell phone batteries since most phones are only 2000-2500mah.

They usually have dual USB ports so you can charge your ipad/tablet + phone or any other devices simultaneously on the go. I was actually looking into a car charger with dual USB jacks so that I can charge my ipad as well in the car. But honestly, I hate cords and I have a small car and I dont want all these USB cables hanging from my cig adaptor so thats why I think the portable charger is a great alternative!

Besides I can take it with me, I can see other situations where it will come in handy. Like those times where you forgot to charge your phone, you're not near a charger....well just pull this out and you can charge anywhere! Or how about when you're not near an outlet! Just bring this along and charge your devices while you're out having lunch! Ive had times where ya, I need to charge my phone and Im stuck in the middle of nowhere with no charger, no plug in. I can see how this would be a great toy to have.

Anyone already using one? How do you like it?

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I have an anker gen 3 12000 charger. It has 3 USB ports, and can charge iPads at full 2.4 amps in the smart port. I love it.

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I built 1000mA 5+ V portable power supply (w/USB out) about 3 years ago that I'm still using. I've had a couple of commercial models that lasted for a couple of years before they stopped working. and I just built another one. I plan to build a 2 or 3 A portable power-pack after the Christmas madness is over.

They're handy to have. I kept my phone going during a 6-day power outage last summer with the one I built. The power-pack uses AA batteries, so I can swap-out rechargeable batteries or simply pickup a pack of new AAs from a nearby store to keep it going (and going and going).

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Since I am totally incapable of building anything (aside from a killer espresso), can you recommend a commercially available portable power supply that is not break-the-bank expensive.

Thanks...:)