Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sully

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
With the new rMBP retaining the same processor as the last generation, I've been looking into a refurbished one from the Apple Store.

But, they're only a few hundred dollars less expensive than buying new. Is there any compelling reason to buy these over a new one other than a little discount on price for what is a used computer that was defective and is now supposedly fixed?

ZXMustang

macrumors member
May 16, 2015
With the new rMBP retaining the same processor as the last generation, I've been looking into a refurbished one from the Apple Store.

But, they're only a few hundred dollars less expensive than buying new. Is there any compelling reason to buy these over a new one other than a little discount on price for what is a used computer that was defective and is now supposedly fixed?

I wouldn't do it. I contemplated this too a few weeks ago, but just pulled the trigger on a new 13" rMBP. Im glad I did. New unmolested computer with all the latest tech. I feel better about it. Technically speaking its not a huge just from the mid 14 that this one replaced. But its that notion of having someone else's problem laptop for almost full retail.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
In many cases it may have had a problem. Someone may have returned it because they didn't like it or wanted a different model. A 13" may have been too small or a 15" too large. They loaded their stuff on the 256gb drive and realized they really needed the 512.

They can be a good way to save some money. Not a huge discount but better than nothing. Add in the full warranty and eligible for AppleCare and it is usually a better deal than used on eBay or Craigslist.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Depends on the model and the discount.
For example, if the $2500 model with the dGPU is only $200-300 off and especially if it's from a prior generation, then it does not make sense to buy it refurbished.
If it's current and $300 off then I would bite.

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004

I've purchased a number of Apple refurbished computers over the years. They have all been in excellent condition and look new. If there's a model up on their site that you found and like, don't hesitate to pull the trigger if the price is right.

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
I just bought the 2014 model of the 13" rMBP from best buy and saved $200. Not refurbished, just last years model. Basically I got the hard drive upgrade to 256GB for free.
Seemed like a great deal to me, and I love my new MacBook!

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I bought my 2012 rmbp maxed out in 2013 from the refurb store. Don't regret it one bit minus the 2013 getting the quicker pci-e storage. Then I bought apple care and it runs out jun 2016. Machine still works great, and just got a new screen.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Apple refurbs are a great deal. I've bought several and never had a problem with them. The only reason I didn't go refurbished on my last purchase is the fact that I wanted Broadwell and Force touch.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

They were not necessarily defective. They could simply have been returned by someone that changed their mind. People return things for all kinds of reasons.

Regardless, they go through a second QC which new machines don't, get a new battery, top case and anything else found out of spec. They are then repackaged and sold.

You still get the full 1 year warranty and are eligible for Apple Care.

If you're not needing the latest and greatest, I don't see what you've got to lose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.