Are Religion and Science Mutually Exclusive?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by The Californian, Oct 6, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Okay, I know how heated these debates can get but I'm hoping we can keep this one cordial.

Do you believe that Religion and Science are mutually exclusive? Why or why not?

Thank you.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you believe the Bible (or any other religious text) to be a literal interpretation of history, yes. Quite frankly, if you believe any religious tradition to be literal, then you are in trouble.

Churches even acknowledge that the bible is not a history text, rather a spiritual text inspired by God.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Science proves that much of what religious people believe is false but it's not like believing that stuff is harmful, it only gets harmful if you try and enforce those beliefs.

4. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

So from what I get you're saying they aren't mutually exclusive unless you believe in religious texts literally.

5. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

What exactly does science prove false about religious peoples beliefs?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

For me it is, I don't know why we even need/have religion to start with. Even when i did believe in God (taught by my parents) it was more of a santa clause effect than anything else, when I got older (4-5 yo) it didn't fit so I discarded (and made grade school church classes a living hell for my teachers).

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Erm, most of it, genesis, evolution of the species' etc. We've shown that the Earth wasn't willed into existence by a deity but rather is the result of billions of years of accretion around our sun. Also that the animals of the planet weren't created out of dust but are the result of billions of years of adaption and development in response to changing environmental conditions.

8. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I won't claim to be an expert of the Bible by any means, but I've read it and I don't see anything that eliminates the possibility of evolution. What if a deity is the what, and evolution is the how?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Any deity, or did you have a specific one in mind?

10. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Of course I have one in mind, but of course it is only an opinion and that ultimately counts for nothing.

11. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

How does the bible account for matter, particles, nucleons, quarks, energy-mass relationship etc... after all, that is what science has proved we are

12. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I believe that's a common misconception about the Bible, that it is supposed to contain all of the answers to all of the mysteries of the cosmos. In reality it is a story of redemption and how that redemption happened from beginning to end. In brief, that is the plot of the Bible, and that is what it focuses on, it does not concern itself with explaining other things because that is not it's purpose.

13. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

So it's just a story book?

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It entirely depends on one's chosen god or gods, combined with an individual's understanding of science, in the context to their ability to compartmentalise their thinking and capacity for cognitive dissonance. And if you can understand that sentence there is a good chance you are the messiah.

15. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Anyone who is serious about looking at Religion and Science for themselves, and how what the known facts, scientific theories (Hawkings etc) and the Bible meet or conflict, I recommend Hugh ROSS.

THE Creator AND THE Cosmos. HOW THE GREATEST SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES OF THE CENTURY REVEAL GOD
    HUGH ROSS, Ph.D.

CREATION as SCIENCE, A Testable Model Approach to End the Creation/Evolution Wars
    HUGH ROSS

16. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I would consider it more of a history book, but that's just what I believe.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Odd that you'd choose to link two books by a creationist that rejects evolution and runs his own ministry as a source of impartial evidence that not only are science and god not in conflict, but in fact science proves god*.

*christian god only.

If you clicked on this thread you're morally obliged to tithe.

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Since you're still trying the " science and the bible" angle…

*cough* I am still waiting for you to reference exactly where the bible states that the planets and earth orbit the sun…
    ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8570886&postcount=21
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8570902&postcount=23

Especially since this one is still running.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Probably. It seems that science debunks a lot of what religion holds stubbornly dear. It's too big of a stretch - trying to fit what the bible tells us with what scientific studies show us. One is centered around faith, the other is centered around observational research and evidence. Like it or not, they're fundamentally different.

21. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I would just love to get some honesty opinions on this. I believe that people believe the science proves religions wrong. I have spent a great deal of time studying as many world religions as I can, and at the same time I am a biology major and have spent a great amount of time studying not only the development of humans, but the history of our world. The more I study the human being, and the theories of evolution therein the more I find myself studying the Bible and seeing that there is nothing to contradict what I am learning in my studies.

I truly believe that science and religion are not only NOT mutually exclusive, but that they are quite cohesive.

I'm simply trying to see what others opinions are, because I'm a firm believer that believing you are correct and listening to no one else's opinion is simply ignorance.

Sorry if it bothers you e.

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It doesn't bother me, I don't have to take part, I'm free to ignore it.

I just don't know what you expect to learn here, you know how this goes, round and round in circles.

23. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

24. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I can easily filter the responses. There are a few people on here who's opinions I truly respect on here and I believe that open conversations like this are always good.

25. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Thanks for replying… I missed that since it wasn't a direct reply (link).
    But glad to see you own up to being wrong…

:)