Are replacement black iPhone 5's good now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metzy25, Jan 21, 2013.

1. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I know this is probably in another thread but I don't have time to look through them all. I'm scheduled to pick up my replacement tomorrow(they didn't have any in stock when I went in so I had to wait) so I'm just wondering can I expect to have a good condition phone now with no scuffs or is the scuffgate still going on? Thanks.

2. zybersniper macrumors member

The phone still scuffs, but the refurbished ones are a lot better than the first batch with a lot less scuffs out of the box. You may notice scuffs along the chamfered edge and the speaker/headphone cutouts but most probably not on the straight edges.

3. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Yeah I'm just wondering about out of the box, I know it will scratch eventually, thanks for the reply!

4. mackandproud macrumors 6502

Hey look, I admit I was very skeptical about the validity of these complaints at first. That is no longer the case.

I have had my iphone for just a week now, and there are visible scratches near the lightning port and possibly some minor pitting on the screen surface (could be imperfections in the glass structure, or just bright grain from the flashlight, lol).

I did not give the phone the once over during the unboxing. First off, I was paranoid about finding scratches. Honest to god. Second, I was in a rush to get that puppy inside of a case asap.

My new phone has literally only been outside of a case, without protective film, for maybe TWO MINUTES TOPS. Despite my extreme measures to prevent damage, the phone is scratched. Are these superficial scuffs or possibly some debris that can simply be wiped off? Maybe, maybe not.

The bottom line is that the phone appears to be extremely susceptible to cosmetic damage.

Covered by a screen protector and otterbox commuter, the phone looks like it's a year old, not one week old. The screen protector is visibly scratched up just from normal use, dirt and lint cover the rubber case lining as well. The scratches are evident near the port.

This phone was designed to be light and thin but is NOT very scratch resistant. I've read reports of previous gens of phones being perfect after being kept in a case, but this seems not to be the case with the 5.

Just SMH at the absurdity of it all: the scratch ready phone, the oceans of counterfeit accessories, apple's ridiculous unwillingness to address and fix this problem, and of course our lemming like response as consumers.

5. ZeroGauge macrumors member

ZeroGauge

I think you should be safe. My Black iPhone 5 from release day suffered from scuffing right out of the box. I ended up just keeping it anyway since it wasn't a huge deal to me. It ended up having a problem with the sleep/awake button so I got a replacement in the Apple store on 01.01.13. It is in PERFECT condition, no scratches or blemishes at all!

6. mackandproud macrumors 6502

Was this within the 30 day return period, or did you get it replaced under applecare?

7. ZeroGauge macrumors member

ZeroGauge

It wasn't within the 30 day return period (since I got it on release day) and I didn't have Applecare on it. I was told that it was a hardware issue so they just replaced it right on the spot. No questions asked.

8. mackandproud macrumors 6502

Ah, repaired under warranty. Sweet.

Question: is it possible to exchange my phone even if I can't say definitively if it was scratched right out of the box?

9. ZeroGauge macrumors member

ZeroGauge

I'm not 100% sure where Apple stands on that currently. I know a fair number of people claimed that Apple was giving them replacements due to the Scuffgate issue. I remember few weeks after release, probably about a month or so after the release I've heard from a friend as well as read it online that Apple was no longer going to replace iPhones that weren't opened up in front of them if they had scuffgate. In my opinion, I think it'll all depend on who is helping you at Apple, how long ago you purchased it, as well as if you know for a fact that it was scratched out of the box and are certain.

10. mackandproud macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'll check asap. I've had the phone a little over a week now.

11. zybersniper macrumors member

It's true. I had the iphone 4S in a Element case and the steel bands were completely like new after about a year of use. I've had the iPhone 5 for about a month and it's already scratched, inside a casing that covers even more than the Element case of the 4s. The lightning adapter also scratches the port easily. I believe the plug is made of steel or a material harder than the aluminum used on the phone and it doesn't take much to scratch it with the plug. Poor design IMO.

12. wiliswene macrumors newbie