All iPads Are specs of iPad Air and Retina Mini really identical?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Oct 27, 2013.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I can't find a single difference, apart form the screen size (but same resolution).

If that is true one is paying $100 extra for the Air only to have a bigger screen (which might actually be less expensive, given the reduced challenge of putting the same number of pixels on a larger area).

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

So far, it does seem to be the case. Won't know for sure until we see some teardowns and review benchmarks.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

I am buying bother the iPad air and iPad mini retina.

Will return iPad air if specs are identical. I already own iPad 3 and 4.

Will return iPad mini retina if iPad air has 2gb ram and mini is under clocked or has 1gb ram.

5. scupking macrumors 6502a

So how do they both get ten hour battery life. Something has to be different?

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

iPad Air: 32.4 Whr battery
    iPad mini with Retina: 23.8 Whr battery

7. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep, exactly the battery increase required to drive the 50% bigger display for the same 10 hours...

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

We don't know about memory size yet.

9. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Yes we do. 1gb ddr3 ram. Anyone who doubts that is fooling themselves. And anyone looking for this ipad pro didn't drink the koolaid, they drank antifreeze.

10. matt84uk macrumors newbie

Going by the improvements quoted by Apple I'd say the A7 in the new iPad mini is clocked lower than the Air. The iPad (4th Gen) was quite a bit faster than the 3rd Gen, which was (taking into account the screen difference) approx the same ad the iPad 2. As the first mini was basically a repackaged and slightly tweaked iPad 2 using the difference between the iPad 2 to Air and iPad 2 / Mini to iPad Mini 2 is a fair comparison. I suspect there to be a difference between the new mini and iPad Air, as to weather it'll be noticeable will entirely depend on personal usage I would imagine.

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I think Apple are really clever here calling all their chips just A7.

I for one think the A7 in the Air will be more powerful, and the A7 in the mini will be more like the one in the iPhone 5s.

However only time will tell when we get benchmark scores.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Are specs of iPad Air and Retina Mini really identical?

I thought that also. But tear-downs have revealed a physically different chip. Its back up in the air.

13. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

not just
    the ipad air has 264 PPI
    the ipad mini with retina has 326 PPI

more then on the MBP with retina that has 227 PPI

the old ipad mini only 163 PPI

14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Temna,

I don't know what an iPad Pro is and I don't understand why all the insults are necessary.

In any case, what is the source of the 1gb knowledge? I have not heard of anything other than the chinese blogger screen shot that's been shown to be a fake.

15. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Neither can we. However, the iPads aren't released yet. We'll know for sure when they are both out and can be compared.

16. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Insults? No. Sarcastic responses to the IPad pro choir who is apparently sure that by changing the name of the iPad to iPad air means there will surely be an iPad pro. And the benchmarks are hitting already as proof that Apple doesn't feel the need to upgrade the ram on the iPad yet.