Are the 4 inch screen naysayers convinced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anonymous guy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Before the screen size was confirmed, plenty of people were clamoring that the current 3.5" iPhone screen was the perfect size with the perfect resolution and that change to the screen size would make the device too unwieldy and unnecessary.

After the iPhone 5 release, all I hear about is how revolutionary and beautiful the new screen is.

So have the 4 inch naysayers been convinced of the change, or are they clinging onto their 4Ses?

2. HXGuy macrumors 68000

My wife was just saying how she wishes they would have kept the screen the old 3.5" size but with the new design/thinness. She finds the new phone difficult and uncomfortable to use compared to the old one.

3. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

I see a lot of people say this and think its some kind of "gotcha!" to iPhone fans but it isn't at all.

We didn't want a bigger screen because we didn't want a bigger device. We didn't want a large Android type phone. We got a bigger screen without increasing the way the phone feels in your hand and that is great. We got our cake and are eating it too.

4. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually a proud owner of an iPhone 5. I'm digging the extra screen real estate and non-black boxed videos.

5. One-Shot macrumors newbie

I am liking the bigger screen more than I thought I would, although I was never against it. Only negative is the wait for everyone to update their apps.

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I agree. The 16:9 screen ratio makes the screen seem larger than it is when watching video.

7. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

im pleasently surprised at how likeable it is, i wasnt one of those skeptics, i wanted it anyways, but seeing it, holding it, playing with it, it just gets better and better....

8. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Since the increased screen size only added a couple millimeters to the length I'm happy with it. I just didn't want a bigger screen if they kept the boarders the same size and made the whole phone .5 to 1 inch taller.

9. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

I am not convinced. I like the 4" screen, but I would have greatly preferred a 4.3" screen with the same height that was slightly wider with a smaller bezel (border). I am not a fan of the 4.7-5.0" screens, but I think Apple could have made the screen slightly larger while still maintaining 1H usability for most people.

10. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I was very against the larger screen size but I have to say, I really like it.

11. adztaylor macrumors 68000

This. Looking at my iPhone 4 now and it seems to feel rather cramped.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I really like it. I've wanted a bit larger screen for awhile (after 40 you start to need reading glasses :( ) and this is a nice change.

13. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I had to go see a Genius today to get my iPhone5 swapped out and, to kill time before the appointment (and seriously considering whether to go Android if they couldn't sort the issue) went to a phone store. After trying out an S3 and a Nokia 900 I was pretty horrified. I get why people want bigger screens (and I have small hands which doesn't help in this) but the S3 was an absolute joke. I couldn't imagine lugging something that big and clunky around, much less use it one handed. The 4.3" Nokia was a bit better but still not something I'd choose to use.

Thankfully Apple swapped my 'oops we forgot to glue the battery in' model for one that's just about perfect and after playing with it for a while I think they've got it perfect. One handed use is fine, the quality of the display makes the slightly smaller text compared to a 4.3" model easy to read and the extra real estate makes a huge difference in use. Considering Apple have clearly decided to focus on making a device that can be used one handed and be as small & light as possible I think they've made the right compromises to achieve that.

14. Prise macrumors regular

Initially, I wasn't crazy about the "larger" screen. I felt the size of the 4 had been pretty ideal.

After using the 5 (albeit for a day), I think the size is fine, mainly because the screen size as increased without adding bulk. I think making it a thinner is what I prefer most.

I prefer mobile devices thin and light.

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

What do the women with small hands (or girly men) on here think of the enlarged screen? I'm afraid my wife is going to think its too big (which wouldn't be the first time she said such a thing!)

16. ScionxB2k11 macrumors newbie

I love my iPhone 5, the thinness is something I must get used to. I haven't had a chance to get a case. I will today! Yes it does take some time to get used to the handling of it. I do feel it is gonna slip out of my hand because of the thinness, but when I get a case I will feel much better.

17. sparkyms macrumors 65816

In one word: yes.

When bigger screen sizes were mentioned I was always thinking of a taller and wider device, holding the iphone 5 isn't like wielding some massive boulder in my hand. It's not a two-hander where most of my hand is being taken up by the width of the phone.

It's nice.

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

I still prefer the 4.65" size of my Gnex screen over the 4" iPhone screen. YouTube and Netflix needs to get updated!

19. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I was against it. I like the way Apple has dealt with it and I certainly like the 4" screen, but there are times I wish I had the 3,5" screen back. But Apple has found the best compromise and I am fine with it. Anything bigger than 4" is too big for me. 4" ist the upper limit.

20. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

See the black border around the sides of the iPhone5's screen? Cut that black border in half, maintaining the same form factor (i.e., no increase in device width) and you get nearly a 4.3" screen. That's what I wanted.

21. rmwebs macrumors 68040

I always said I didnt want a bigger iPhone, all the time thinking it would mean thicker, wider, etc. When comparing my new iPhone 5 to my dads 4s, the size of the actual device is really similar, with only a cm or two difference in height.

I'm certainly convinced :)

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's such a modest increase, there's not much to say. I would think the small screen lovers would be thrilled, since it's still the same width.

With absolutely no change in the landscape typing experience, it's it's of little value except to movie lovers. Those who require space for more apps, or a little more vertical space.

23. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

so we can say that it 3.5" long screen iPhone 5 L

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ok first, Ha!

I have short fingers and I was able to reach pretty much every part of the 4/4S screen with my thumb. I can't do that now... But I can still get to pretty much everything but the far corners, so I'm happy with it.

It doesn't take long at all to get used to it and have the 4S start looking like the 5's kid brother!

25. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

Agree, one reason I left iPhone for two years because I think that is a perfect size screen like my old Sprint EVO 4g but I missed IOS so I came back when the iPhone 5 was released.