Are the colors of rMBP not as good as 2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by galaksy, Apr 30, 2014.

1. galaksy macrumors 6502

I heard that the colors a little dimmer than 2010 version of MBP.

Does anyone know of any laptop that has better colors than 2010 MBP?

Another question: even if it doesn't have good colors on the laptop itself, if you use an external monitor with good colors, is the color enhanced?

2. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking of maybe upgrading my 2010 MBP 13'' with a better RAM instead buying a rMBP because the color might suffer.

3. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

In my experience, the rMBP display is much better for color reproduction, mainly because it's an IPS display. It's definitely a big improvement over my old 2010 MBP.

4. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

..The color is just fine. You're thinking too much. Go to an Apple Store or Best Buy or something and try one out if you're really worried about it.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This. The cMBP might have brighter colors, but it's because they're oversaturated. The rMBP is far better at color reproduction than any TFT out there

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I have the 2010 15" with high-res display along with an early-'13 rMBP 15", and while the high-res anti-glare is one of very few laptop screens that isn't so poor as to be jarring to look at after working with a Retina display, it's still noticeably worse in color accuracy and in viewing angle.

7. slo-climber macrumors member

And which display profile do you have set under the System Preferences? There is a lot of them like Adobe RGB, sRGB and so on.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Your concerns are misguided. After 3 years of use, your 2010 mbp doesn't display the same color as it did on the day of purchase. The rMBP uses an IPS panel, which typically has superior viewing angles. Its white point is closer to the typical D65 than the cMBP. It aligns better with sRGB. Brightness is a different issue. Brighter != more accurate. That is completely misguided and ridiculous.

Now keep in mind that if you're happy with the 2010 model and it's in good condition, you are fine staying with it. I would. My notebook is still a 2011, and I see no reason to change it unless the logic board dies to the 2011 gpu plague. The legitimate problems with the rmbps were the ones involving yellowish greys and uneven displays. Displays are not perfect devices, and some people received ones where the flaws were directly noticeable. If I had problems with something like that, I would give up after 1-2 exchanges, but I haven't read about any recent problems.

Just leave it on the default unless you obtain a custom profile for that display. Even if you obtain one from someone else, you should be aware that displays differ. People share them on here with varying results. If you can find one where someone just measured to native gamma/white point, it may very well be better than the default color lcd profile even if it's not perfect. Adobe RGB and sRGB are basically more abstract. They do not represent specific devices. They really just represent standardized working spaces where other matrix profiles can be translated to them. sRGB was based on a typical crt display around circa 1995, but it's still decent. Some lcds are naturally much colder, but I don't think it makes them look any better. Things only appear yellowish on warmer displays if they don't track well from white to black.