Are the Democrats Playing this all wrong?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jul 13, 2017.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So there's President Trump. His trail of scandal/publicity. The GOP Congress. Their laughable ideas and accomplishments so far. Easy fodder, right? Well...maybe. It's all well to attack the possibly indefensible from the Administration and the Congress, and god knows they probably want payback. Yet is it a smart play? The Investigation into Trump and Co. is ongoing and vis-a-vis Congress they can always be cast as Obstructionists, regardless of the merit(s) of their arguments. What if:

Democrats came out with their own revision of the ACA to put up for vote? Yeah, it wouldn't pass...but if/when the disaster-GOP Bill does, they can point to their efforts. Hell, why not the same on Tax reform? Again, it would probably not go anywhere but it would prove the Democrats are trying to do something...even in the minority. It would also put the GOP in an awkward position...and possibly forge the rarest of words in US Governance these days - compromise.

Thoughts?

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I guess that is all assuming that the people voted against Obama-care. They voted for Trump who campaigned against it but did the people actually want rid of it? The democrats already have an alternative to the GOP's policy and it is currently in place. I think it's one thing that doesn't need major review.

What the democrats need to do is keep on the attack as there seems to be more and more dirt coming out daily.

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

They are not leading by example. What they are doing is acting the same way that the Republicans did when Obama was in office and that they complained about over and over. This is why out two party system has failed and the reason that I am no longer interested in hearing either one of them. My vote will continue to go to the people who want to work together rather than work to tear our country apart.

4. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

This is what I was getting at. The Democrats are not the GOP (ha) - and they don't fare well playing by their playbook. An opportunity to lead by example...at least put something tangible out there in opposition.

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

Would be nice if one or the other decided to take the high road for once.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The high road doesn't play well at election time. That's the American people's fault.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

Yup!

It is also the reason that neither side earned my vote. I don't vote for babies....

8. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, complexity doesn't play well at election time. That is also the American people's fault. Yet, reality beckons. Democrats generally have better plans..,

9. Zwopple macrumors regular

I don't think they are playing this wrong, to be honest if the abomination of a healthcare bill the GOP has presented actually passed it would be the biggest blessing in the world to the Democrats, it has HORRIBLE polling with the general public on both sides so thats why it's so shocking the GOP is so hell bent on passing it.

Instead they are fighting it tooth and nail and constantly digging in on the Russia scandal slows down the whole process and casts doubt on Trump's presidency.

Once the Healthcare battle is settled (either it passes or it won't) I think we'll start to see more policy from the Democrats, but the reality is they have no ability to get their bills to the floor for a vote so why bother even talking about them when McConnell would never allow it, I mean hell he's not even allowing Democrats any amendments or discussions on the Healthcare bill right now…

10. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

I don't agree, the "American People" vote their wallet, by and large, and we respect politicians that have principals, our principals. America first, equal justice under law, anyone can succeed if they are willing to work for it.

You may look at us and say'" Well, you elected Trump", and dismiss us as a bunch of fools, but we know what we are doing, and we don't like it when people call us Racist, Bigoted, Sexist, Xenophobes because we want people to respect the laws we have on the books, and we expect the government to enforce those laws with equality.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You fool yourself to think that the Democrats are any better than Republicans in this aspect, both sides are like petulant children who got their ball taken away on the playground.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Bipartisan politics sucks.

However, I believe the Dems are not interested in owning any part of the healthcare bill so they can return the favor to the rhetoric (and lie) that the ACA was owned by the Dems. Strategically it makes sense because if thousands or even millions wind up without coverage - or less coverage - that will be catastrophic for the 2018 and 2020 election. I think playing with people's lives like BOTH sides have done isn't excusable. Both parties should be service those that elected them - not their own selfish interests or worrying about "winning."

13. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Each side just wants to hold the levers of power, so they can dole out the $$$ to their political cronies.

It will be interesting to see, when the US can no longer borrow at reasonable interest rates, how fast each side runs away form the offices of power.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Or you know - they are forced onto the same plans as us?

15. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

The sad thing is, up until about the time of Bush 43, it was the Republicans who had deep think tanks developing position papers and comprehensive plans. But somehow that has all collapsed. Now it is all know-nothing Tea Partiers and narcissistic Alt-Right racists.

It is sad to see a party so recently a bastion of thoughtful government fall prey to the worst elements of populism.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Part of that is because if you spend all your time criticizing instead of creating your own plan, when you do get your shot...well look at how the healthcare bill is going now.

I think a lot of the problem is that the tea party was more about being against something than for something.

17. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Democrats are too busy trying to keep Progressives out of the party instead of focusing on current events.

18. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hey, Republicans decided to welcome the far-right into their party, and look at what it has done to them...

19. elistan macrumors 6502a

They're tried, with things like single-payer plans. Their efforts can't even make it far enough to get voted on due to the amount of control the GOP has.

20. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Just as importantly, look what it did to Democrats. I'd like to give the loony left a try as well and then maybe we'll get some real centrists instead of 2 parties currently firmly in the right.

21. Huntn, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Actually this sounds like a good idea. Acknowledge the problems and offer suggestions to fix it, without the humongous tax cut for the wealthy. Be verbal about ways to fix it, if they are not already doing that. But doesn't the GOP control what comes up for a vote?

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Figure out a strategy to start winning state houses and governorship's and it will be much easier to win national elections. Start considering that the country is more than just the left and right coast, that those in the middle due in fact matter and may have something to say. Maybe the democratic party should stop drowning them out with the fringe groups. Lastly, maybe it's time to stop demonizing the middle class, middle aged, white man in an effort to win political points with a voting group that consists of 2% of the voting public. It's what ultimately gave us Trump.

23. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nah. The Left is wrong, and the Right is wrong. Visions of utopia are always mirages. Better to strive for good government and working to help people's daily lives, rather than try to implement radical solutions that upend lives before ultimately failing.

24. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

And a long and distinguished list that is... :rolleyes:

25. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

if democrats had a solution to the unaffordable don't care act they would have implemented it when oclueless was in office.