Are the Facebook Apps The Main Battery-Killing Culprit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chocolatemilty, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

So, this has been talked about at some point on this forum, but after suffering through bad battery life days after bad battery life days, I decided to try to pinpoint exactly where my battery usage is going on my iPhone 4S running 7.0.2 - I deleted both the FB & Messenger apps. The results after one day is stunning, at least for iPhone 4S standards. I'm now at 4 hours or so standby and 3 hours of heavy usage (Google music streaming the entire time; tweeting; video watching from The Verge, Engadget, CNN periodically; Pocket article viewing) and have 51% remaining. That gets me at the purported 6 hours or so of screen time internet use for the 4S - nothing to call home about, but definitely gets me that extra push until I get the phone on the car charger and back home. I probably will be able to squeeze even more out, as I forgot my iPad at home and usually use that for music streaming.

What I'm getting at is why is Facebook apps not being talked about as much as being part of our battery deterrents? Surely there's more that goes into battery usage like network performance, brightness, media consumption type, etc., but deleting of 1 or 2 apps giving a 40% or so battery increase? That's substantial. Of course, this isn't a thorough, scientific test, yet real-world, dumbed-down tests like this is sometimes what gets the ball rolling, right?

Just thought I'd share what I've noticed and if others have noticed the same on their iPhones too.

[​IMG]

2. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I always manually close the facebook app after using it. It's drained by battery ever since multitasking was introduced in iOS4 if I don't. Don't understand how their app is so poorly coded.

I also agree, it should be out there (if it isn't already); the facebook app drains battery significantly unless you close it manually.

3. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

IMHO turn off bluetooth and background app refresh... Helped my wife's phone tremendously...

4. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are the Facebook Apps The Main Battery-Killing Culprit?

Thanks, sir. Definitely know about that. The only apps that are allowed to background refresh is Any.DO (reminder geofencing), Pocket (for article and links from web syncing), and Mailbox (for emails for school and work). I do, however, plan to turn this off tomorrow and do another test as well to see if the utility of those important apps are at all compromised by turning it off.

5. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Also change your screen brightness to around 35-40%...

6. dmystic1 macrumors regular

I don't bother using the battery percentage meter, so I don't really notice how fast the battery drains.

7. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

FB supposedly keeps running in the background due to its support of VOIP (who knew you could make voice calls on FB?) and updates itself in the background quite often doing something that sucks down resources.

However they are rumored to be releasing a completely rebuilt app some time soon so hopefully they get it right that time but I'm not holding my breath.

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Wow, I actually did not know facebook supported VoIP. That explains why it runs in the background then.