Are the Magic Keyboard's switches like the new Macbook Pro's switches?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by engincandy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. engincandy macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I really like the keyboard of the new Macbook Pro and I was wondering if the Magic Keyboard's switches feel the same. I am thinking of buying one..

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No the Magic Keyboard keys have a much deeper depth of travel than the new MBP does. That is not a bad thing IMO, but it is different.

3. keviig macrumors 6502

I have both the new Magic keyboard and a 2016 15" tbMBP. The Magic Keyboard is somewhere between the 2016 15" and the 2015 13" I had earlier in terms of key travel and firmness.

4. engincandy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys! What rating would you give the magic keyboard (1-10)?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ehhh... I dunno how to assign a score, but I am happy with mine. The battery life is good and I like the feel of the keys just fine. Is there any way you can go somewhere like the Apple Store or something and test one out first?

6. engincandy thread starter macrumors newbie

I am asking because the Apple store is 2 hours from my home :(

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... gotcha.

8. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

The Magic Keyboard is very very good and the battery life is amazing. They should only add backlit keys...

9. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I really love the Magic Keyboard and for a lot of people it is the best Apple keyboard at the moment.

With that said, the reason I love it is that it's more shallow and more stable than the previous one. I always thought the older one and the previous MBP keyboards felt a bit mushy. I also love the new MBP keyboard. It's different, but I enjoy both.

If you prefer stability and clickyness to key travel, the Magic Keyboard is the best standalone keyboard for Macs in my opinion. Also, the battery lasts a long time, you can use it while charging and the pairing process is better than before (just plug it in, plug it out and you're set).

Still, it is NOT the same as MBP keyboard. I'd say it's a very different keyboard. The MBP keyboard uses a 2nd generation butterfly switch while Magic Keyboard is an improved version of the scissor switch. They not only feel different, the entire mechanism is different. As I said, though, I think both are awesome.

10. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I agree with Aevan - The Magic Keyboard is my favorite Apple keyboard probably since Alps switches way back when (which of course is a totally different experience).

I tried out a new MBP for a few days and I was getting on OK with the keyboard, but did find it a bit too loud, even with more experience and softer typing, and just not as enjoyable as my Magic Keyboard. Both good, but I definitely prefer the Magic Keyboard.