Are the non-touchbar MBPs upgraded to kaby lake as well?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xil3, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Xil3 macrumors regular

The processors are clocked so differently, that it's tough to tell sometimes.

Based on the article, it indicates that they are, but I wanted to make sure. Other than the lower clocking, and lack of touchbar (which I think is useless), are there any negatives about it? Does it have the same fast SSDs?

2. Mr Retina macrumors regular

Mr Retina

They failed to mention that the nTB model Is only cheaper because the gutted the SSD size down to 128GB instead of the previous standard of 256GB. :(

3. Xil3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I customized the higher end nTB MBP (bumped up to 512 SSD and 16GB RAM), and it pushed the price up a lot (in-between the lower and higher end TB version.

I'm also curious, the nTB has "2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor", and cannot be customized to use the same as the TB version (3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor). That's what makes me question if the nTB is even kaby lake. Is it just using a much lower end chip that cannot be clocked anywhere near? o_O

4. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

5. NathanD macrumors member

The nTB uses a 15W CPU with Intel Iris 640 graphics, whereas the TB MBP uses a 28W CPU with Intel Iris 650. They're both Kaby Lake but they're not the same.

6. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

The nTB would be the option for me, if it was available with higher SSD configs. I really dislike this. :/

7. leman macrumors 604

It's all Kaby Lake. The non-touchbar version is just using weaker 15W CPUs.